Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: My restaurant philosophy

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River

My restaurant philosophy

Vacation is a time we all look forward to; sun, dining, sightseeing

Aruba's livelihood revolves around tourism... Basically us

my philosophy....
    When dining and your meal is not up to par, the restaurant should make it right.
    i am not singling any one place out
    i am merely stating my opinion

we had 2 problems over the course of many years
    One made it right
    One didn't

I will go to my grave raving about one .....
    I will go to my grave bad mouthing another
    can restaurants afford people like me NOT HAPPY?

its a simple as this.

a quick figure of the math( dinner dining, lunch not included)
    22 visits
    average 10 day stay
    2-4 people per visit
    average eating out, roughly 800+ meals

Having had the good fortune of dining in many cities in the world for the last twenty-five years (LOTS of business travel), I've noticed that sustaining quality is near impossible - even at renowned eateries in NYC, Paris, Chicago, London, Copenhagen etc. The chef's lose interest and move on to something else and the people left behind may or may not be of the same caliber. Sometimes (rarely) they'll reinvigorate the place and turn it into something completely new - that's always exciting.

That being said, there is still an emotional attachment for a lot of venues for a lot of people. I, to this day, still love having lunch in the Waldorf Astoria lobby restaurant and watching the carnival of insanity that inevitably walks by the table. Do they still have the best menu in the world? Absolutely not. But they still hold fond memories for me of getting smashed at the lobby bar and having some of the best times of my "dining life" there. So we'll always pop in for one or a dozen mojitos at the bar and a salad. Importantly: the service is ALWAYS first rate.

The same goes for the opposite: there are restaurants, still regarded as some of the best in the world, that I wouldn't set foot in again for all the money in the world. They made their reputation on service, food quality, ambiance etc. so they don't get an "off" night - especially at some of the more ridiculously priced places.

I think most people land with an emotional attachment to restaurants (me included) and give a lot of leeway to wavering quality. But, I'm definitely with Cindy on this, if you blatantly disregard a patron, I won't darken your doorstep again. (Yes, I'm looking at you Balthazar NYC).

If you're having a good time, that's all that matters in the end.

As I tell others... word of mouth is the best advertisement....
    One restaurant we went to everything that could happen did.. the manager told us "I am sorry... will make it better next time."
    Well of course there was never a next time ... and my mouth ran like water.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    That being said, there is still an emotional attachment for a lot of venues for a lot of people. I, to this day, still love having lunch in the Waldorf Astoria lobby restaurant and watching the carnival of insanity that inevitably walks by the table. Do they still have the best menu in the world? Absolutely not. But they still hold fond memories for me of getting smashed at the lobby bar and having some of the best times of my "dining life" there. So we'll always pop in for one or a dozen mojitos at the bar and a salad. Importantly: the service is ALWAYS first rate.
    That's the way we feel about Café Florian on St. Mark's Square in Venice. Best menu? No. Best Bellinis? Good but overpriced. Great orchestra? Yes. Great Service? The best! Sitting on St. Mark's Square and people watching? Priceless. We always have fond memories there and make it our "go to" right away for Bellinis. Like you said, if you're having a good time, that's all that matters in the end.
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 08-27-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    That's the way we feel about Café Florian on St. Mark's Square in Venice. Best menu? No. Best Bellinis? Good but overpriced. Great orchestra? Yes. Great Service? The best! Sitting on St. Mark's Square and people watching? Priceless. We always have fond memories there and make it our "go to" right away for Bellinis. Like you said, if you're having a good time, that's all that matters in the end.
    Amy - I LOVE Cafe Florian!! You are dead on about that place!

I feel the same way about Harry's New York Bar in Paris - wouldn't miss it for the world.

Now I'm thinking about bar hopping at 11:00 am... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Amy - I LOVE Cafe Florian!! You are dead on about that place!

I feel the same way about Harry's New York Bar in Paris - wouldn't miss it for the world.

Now I'm thinking about bar hopping at 11:00 am... LOL
    Harry's Bar anywhere (Rome, Paris, Venice)....but you HAVE to go! LOL! My hubby was underwhelmed with the original one in Venice but....after a few top-notch Bellinis, he soon saw the error of his ways and before you know it we were invited to a palazzo party later on in the week by one of the bartenders. LOL! It doesn't have to be the BEST place in the world - sometimes it's all a matter of what YOU make of it to have a good time.
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 08-27-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    i have no issue with this topic taking a turn towards non aruba restaurants.
    so, with that being said....i am copying into off topic where non aruba restaurant/bar conversation can continue
    but here in the aruba restaurant category, let's try to keep focused on aruba.

thanks

To reiterate ....it doesn't have to be the best place IN ARUBA....it's really all a matter of what you make of it. When there are lemons, make lemonade and work together with the restaurant owner/manager to make it a more pleasurable experience. If they cannot, then just move along to the next place. Plenty of restaurants to choose from in Aruba.
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 08-27-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    When I go to a restaurant, it is not my job to work together with the manager/owner. I'm not auditioning for a job. If it really sucks, I will comment. And then that's it, I'm done with that restaurant. However, if it is outstanding, I prefer to comment on that. If a restaurant is bad, they don't care what I have to say, it goes in one ear and out the other. But I do love to tell if its good or the wait staff was excellent. that I like to do. as far as bad, I wouldn't bother because I could care less, I won't be back there again.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    When I go to a restaurant, it is not my job to work together with the manager/owner. I'm not auditioning for a job. If it really sucks, I will comment. And then that's it, I'm done with that restaurant. However, if it is outstanding, I prefer to comment on that. If a restaurant is bad, they don't care what I have to say, it goes in one ear and out the other. But I do love to tell if its good or the wait staff was excellent. that I like to do. as far as bad, I wouldn't bother because I could care less, I won't be back there again.
    No, it's not your job - what I meant was to speak with the mgr/owner while you're still there regarding the issues/problems and then "work" together to solve the issues so you're happy before you leave (they will do the actual "work" and you will advise as to your acceptance.) If they don't know you're unhappy then they cannot make amends to make it right and correct problems so they don't happen again. Granted, there will be always be some that simply do not care (because another plane load of tourists are constantly flying in) but I will always give them the chance to make things right. If not, then it's time to move along. It is what it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast