Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: My restaurant philosophy

  1. #11
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,276
    If some menu item is bad enough that you can't enjoy it, you should send it back after the first bite. At that point, it should be taken off your bill and replaced. If you eat it and then complain at the end of the visit, you are not entitled to having it taken off your bill.

    If they offer to take care of it on your next visit, I wouldn't return. That's just a dodge to get you and your party to come back again and spend a few hundred more dollars and they will comp your meal (if the same guy is there and remembers you).

  2. #12
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,900
    that is generally my opinion too.

    so much more can be accomplished when right there at the beginning of the meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    If some menu item is bad enough that you can't enjoy it, you should send it back after the first bite. At that point, it should be taken off your bill and replaced. If you eat it and then complain at the end of the visit, you are not entitled to having it taken off your bill.

    If they offer to take care of it on your next visit, I wouldn't return. That's just a dodge to get you and your party to come back again and spend a few hundred more dollars and they will comp your meal (if the same guy is there and remembers you).

  3. #13
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Vacation is a time we all look forward to; sun, dining, sightseeing

    Aruba's livelihood revolves around tourism... Basically us

    my philosophy....
    When dining and your meal is not up to par, the restaurant should make it right.
    i am not singling any one place out
    i am merely stating my opinion

    we had 2 problems over the course of many years
    One made it right
    One didn't

    I will go to my grave raving about one .....
    I will go to my grave bad mouthing another
    can restaurants afford people like me NOT HAPPY?

    its a simple as this.

    a quick figure of the math( dinner dining, lunch not included)
    22 visits
    average 10 day stay
    2-4 people per visit
    average eating out, roughly 800+ meals
    Back on topic...

    Aruba has a disproportionate number of good restaurants for its size and restaurant owners need to recognize that even slight blips in any dimension can jeopardize the future.

    I agree that there's a certain amount of onus on patrons to speak up if something isn't to their satisfaction but a lot of people won't do that. Given the small nature of Aruba, word of mouth is really important so it's essential that owners and staff get it right the first time or there may not be a second opportunity.

    I'd say our Aruba tally is somewhere in the $3000ish range on a longer trip. Nothing to sneeze at and I'm sure quite a few restaurants want a piece of that. I'm happy to oblige those that bring their "A" game.

    I'm basing the estimate on four people dining out ten times in a two week period.
    Last edited by act1966; 08-28-2015 at 07:07 AM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494
    We are not inclined to speak up when we have had a bad experience or food. I have always been really hesitant to do so because I'm afraid someone in the staff would be immature and do something to my food. I realize this is unlikely at higher quality restaurants but you just never know.

    On our most recent trip to Aruba, we had a place that we felt the service was not up to par. It is likely we not return there. For this particular place we have been there twice and the first time I don't remember the service being poor. This time there was a very large party seated near us so its possible the staff was just overwhelmed. In this case I don't necessarily feel like giving them a bad review is fair because it could have been a one time thing. On the flip side of that when we have a bad experience we are not likely to return.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  5. #15
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We are not inclined to speak up when we have had a bad experience or food. I have always been really hesitant to do so because I'm afraid someone in the staff would be immature and do something to my food. I realize this is unlikely at higher quality restaurants but you just never know.

    On our most recent trip to Aruba, we had a place that we felt the service was not up to par. It is likely we not return there. For this particular place we have been there twice and the first time I don't remember the service being poor. This time there was a very large party seated near us so its possible the staff was just overwhelmed. In this case I don't necessarily feel like giving them a bad review is fair because it could have been a one time thing. On the flip side of that when we have a bad experience we are not likely to return.
    I think most people are like that, Tracey. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle. And i get skeeved out at what they'd do to my food too!!!

    I will say something to the manager after the meal if the service was poor though.

    We were at Gostoso's in February and one of our party wasn't happy with the way the steak was prepared: the staff nearly tripped over themselves making it right and without a hint of attitude - the owner, Jose, even came over and personally apologized for the issue (which wasn't even that big of a deal). That's why I'm a big supporter of that place.

    Same with Ventanas Del Mar - the staff consistently endeavour to ensure everyone is enjoying themselves and we even had one waitress apologize for a particularly loud and crass table near us on the patio. We were stunned and reassured her we don't hold her or the restaurant responsible. Another great Aruba restaurant. On a golf course!! LOL
    Last edited by act1966; 08-28-2015 at 09:02 AM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,276
    A couple of years ago, my sister and BIL went to Aruba and asked me fro restaurant recommendations. I always reply but with some trepidation. What if their experience is bad...

    One of the recommendations was for Chalet Suisse. Sis was telling me my BIL ordered a steak and when it came it was mostly fat and gristle. As he was wrestling with it, Benny came by, saw the problem and took the steak from him. He apologized and said that plate should never have left the kitchen. They were amazed at that kind of service. The replacement steak was top notch and my restaurant recommending reputation remains untarnished. Phew!

  7. #17
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    A couple of years ago, my sister and BIL went to Aruba and asked me fro restaurant recommendations. I always reply but with some trepidation. What if their experience is bad...

    One of the recommendations was for Chalet Suisse. Sis was telling me my BIL ordered a steak and when it came it was mostly fat and gristle. As he was wrestling with it, Benny came by, saw the problem and took the steak from him. He apologized and said that plate should never have left the kitchen. They were amazed at that kind of service. The replacement steak was top notch and my restaurant recommending reputation remains untarnished. Phew!

    That's an awesome service moment!

  8. #18
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,900
    recommending restaurants is such a crapshoot.
    every time i open my mouth and recommend a place, i think..oh boy i hope this does not come back to bite me in the rear.
    every place can have an off night.

  9. #19
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    recommending restaurants is such a crapshoot.
    every time i open my mouth and recommend a place, i think..oh boy i hope this does not come back to bite me in the rear.
    every place can have an off night.
    Your McDonald's recommendation has always been of a consistent level of quality for me. They still get annoyed when I ask, "How's the fish?" at the drive-thru in Palm Beach though.


  10. #20
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    recommending restaurants is such a crapshoot.
    every time i open my mouth and recommend a place, i think..oh boy i hope this does not come back to bite me in the rear.
    every place can have an off night.
    This is exactly why I will hesitate to recommend a restaurant that is close to a certain area where I personally experienced an unpleasant odor. I would hate for someone to go there on my recommendation and have a romantic moment ruined by the smell that I experienced. That is no fault of the restuarant, but it's never on my recommended t list.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO