Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: My restaurant philosophy

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    recommending restaurants is such a crapshoot.
    every time i open my mouth and recommend a place, i think..oh boy i hope this does not come back to bite me in the rear.
    every place can have an off night.
    After reading all these posts it is surprising that more restaurants aren't on the "bad" list. I also have a dining philosophy. Mine is taken from the experience of running my own business for over 45 years. Always give a good restaurant a second chance.

Restaurants that are not chains are small businesses run by an owner or two with a lot of hired help. No small business will operate smoothly 365 daysa year. Your lucky to get a full week in without some problem showing up. There are many things that can and will go wrong in any business. In the restaurant business there is even more that can go wrong from food supplies to help not showing up. Imagine Saturday night at a busy restaurant. The cook quits or calls in sick, a couple of wait staff don't show up. Maybe your supplier was out of your Saturday night special or sent the wrong thing. Any of a thousand things can go wrong but you keep everything running smoothly most of the time. Mistakes occur even under the best of circumstances because there are humans involved in the preparation of food. If a customer complains it should be taken care of. If it is not, it is a down check. It is possible that the owner or manager was not made aware of the problem.

I always give a caveat when recommending a place. I always say it was great when we were there or what we had was delicious. No two people have the same taste buds. I know this because my DW loves Salmon.
    Last edited by arubabob; 08-28-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    After reading all these posts it is surprising that more restaurants aren't on the "bad" list. I also have a dining philosophy. Mine is taken from the experience of running my own business for over 45 years. Always give a good restaurant a second chance. Restaurants that are not chains are small businesses run by an owner or two with a lot of hired help. No small business will operate smoothly 365 daysa year. Your lucky to get a full week in without some problem showing up. There are many things that can and will go wrong in any business. In the restaurant business there is even more that can go wrong from food supplies to help not showing up. Imagine Saturday night at a busy restaurant. The cook quits or calls in sick, a couple of wait staff don't show up. Maybe your supplier was out of your Saturday night special or sent the wrong thing. Any of a thousand things can go wrong but you keep everything running smoothly most of the time. Mistakes occur even under the best of circumstances because there are humans involved in the preparation of food. If a customer complains it should be taken care of. If it is not, it is a down check. It is possible that the owner or manager was not made aware of the problem or. I always give a caveat when recommending anything. I always say it was great when we were there or what we had was delicious. No two people have the same taste buds. I know this because my DW loves Salmon.
    Agreed. But it`s the reaction to those customer-facing mistakes/mishaps/issues that differentiates the restaurant. I've been in a few restaurants in Aruba where there was a complete cluster early on (usually with some dizzy host/hostess) where we were left hanging for thirty plus minutes - and no comp of drinks or anything for the screw up - even after we spoke to management. That's inexcusable.

I'm also surprised there aren't more scathing reviews of restaurants on the forum as well but... I think everybody gives a lot of leeway (myself included) because of the size of Aruba and the recognition that there are going to be off nights.

I also think it's a relative subject - I'm going to give Barney's a lot more leeway than Carte Blanche... if the establishment is going to charge large, there's an expectation of delivery and back up if things go wrong.

Aruba since 1979
    Jeeze.....that was our little secret.
    (ask for the special sauce...omg, to die for!)
    those gals in the aruba mickeyd's drive thru window speak better english than those here in the usa.
    you want fries with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Your McDonald's recommendation has always been of a consistent level of quality for me. They still get annoyed when I ask, "How's the fish?" at the drive-thru in Palm Beach though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123