Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Not Passionate about Passions

Not Passionate about Passions

After our last visit for lunch, during which I got crapped on by an Iguana, we decided to return for lunch today.Not impressed. The place was empty. We were advised of new items on the menu and since it was our 20th wedding anniversary thought we would try something different. I cannot remeber the last time we were so disappointed. Bad does not describe the food. Almost inedible probably would be a better description. I also resent that the markup on a regular bottle of wine is so high. A $12 bottle selling at $34.

As I feel so passionate, Iwill not return. Also, as an encore my wife got crapped on by one of the many annoying blackbirds at this place.

MAN! Sorry about your experience...we were actually going to try it for the first time this trip, now not to sure :/

Aruba since 1979
    wow, 2 for 2 in the getting pooped on category.
    yuk.
    what are the chances of that happening.....2x within a week or 2?!?!

i am sorry to hear that your anniversary luncheon was disappointing.
    did you let the waiter/manager know of your displeasure and how you felt the food was inedible?

Responding to Andrea

Yes we did advise the waitress. She knew as she made a strange little comment. Andrea, we have met and as you know I am pretty tolerant. What Passions is doing at lunch is highway robbery. I may discuss with AHATA. They need a formal rebuke.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I am glad to hear,well not really... that we are not the only ones who had a bad experience. went twice...doubt there will be a 3rd.

Smile Happy Anniversary

Sorry to hear about your experience. I guess we have been very fortunate with our terrific experiences dining at Passions on the beach next to the ocean under the stars.

Presumably all the birds and iguanas are long asleep by then?

Are prices in Aruba regulated by the government? Does Aruba have price controls?

We are huge wine drinkers. The average mark-up for a bottle (or glass) of wine in U.S. restaurants is 300%. So their price on the bottle of wine is average for any restaurant.

For those re-thinking Passions, keep in mind that lunch and dinner are two different locations, different menus, and different waitstaff. We've had dinner at Passions on every trip (we go to Aruba twice a year) and have always had wonderful dinners there.

You should have asked to speak with the mgr as I know he would like to hear your concerns regarding the food.

I normally have a lunch or two there on every trip but I have it delivered to my palapa since I'm staying at the hotel. The lunches I've had have always been good.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 07-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Amy...for you to consider

Amy

We own and live here part of the year. We have many friends in the hospitality business, either as workers or owners. I have spoken to a number of my friends and it unfortuneately appears that what we have experienced is not an isolated experience. Yes, we have been there for dinner too. We were guests of one of the largest hotels on the island and went to Passions.The restaurant manager of that establishment who took us to dinner had accompanied us that fateful night. The issues were so bad that she noted certain people to ensure they would never be hired at their operation.

It seems to me that Passions do have a great location. What I suspect is that they have lived too long on a past reputation. What is needed is for the management to get out there (lunch or dinner!!!!! After all spending hard earned dollars deserves respect!!) and do some hands on managing. The way good places often go bad is by complacency.

Like you I have extensively travelled...Rome, London, Sydney(Aust), Cook Islands, Fiji, Hawaii, Holland, UK, New Zealand...to name a few. Never have I had the garbage that was served to me today
    Last edited by aquaman; 07-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.

I, like you, have many friends also on the island in the same business. As I'm sure other frequent visitors do as well.

Sorry about the food. As I said, you should have asked to speak to the F&B Mgr.

But I do stand by the mark-up of wine which is, on average, 300% (in other places we've traveled as well.)

Since I stay at Amsterdam Manor and am on their beach, I can vouch for mgmt that they are "out there" several times a day (and also at night for dinner.) You cannot find harder working people and if something is awry then they want to know about it.

You can read recent reviews of Passions at the following link:
    http://www.restaurantsaruba.com/Pass...the-Beach.html
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 07-03-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    speaking to the manager on duty or the food/beverage director most likely would have made you and your bride less unhappy.

re: the formal rebuke with the ahata, i am confused as to what can/would be accomplished. as arubalisa asked, are there some sort of price controls that the ahata implements?

we had dinner tonight at our local on property restaurant. i had a glass of sutter home pink moscato wine. it was $5. i have the same wine in my refrigerator and i think we paid $12 for the 1.5 litre bottle. so, the mark up here, at our local golf club restaurant is huge too.

it makes me a little frustrated to pay $$ for something that is marked up so high, but i do.......for the most part we all do.....at home and in restaurants.

it is still not too late to give the f/b manager at amsterdam manor/passions a call and tell him of your experiences. i would bet he would be most interested to hear of your very unhappy experience. i hope it is all rectified and you and bobbi are able to have a better feeling about the outcome of your anniversary lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Yes we did advise the waitress. She knew as she made a strange little comment. Andrea, we have met and as you know I am pretty tolerant. What Passions is doing at lunch is highway robbery. I may discuss with AHATA. They need a formal rebuke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast