Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Off the Strip - Getting Local and Low Key Laid Back

Off the Strip - Getting Local and Low Key Laid Back

Our past few trips we have really concentrated on expolring the island and digging on those local, off the beaten path resturants and dining establishments. I get such an island vibe getting lost in the rental or walking through the side streets and eyeing the architecture, shops and lesser known eateries.

Now that we've kicked into our post holiday countdown mode, I've been conversing with Kat about my philosphy of embracing the island as a whole and not just a destination for pool, sand, sea and magaritas. I really would like to make an effort to avoid the "strip" dining this trip and seek out those small, local mom and pop, inland or other side of the bridge (as SanNic44 refers) eateries. Kat and I both detest the mandatory service/gratuity charges alot of the strip and popular establishments enforce and we have tried to avoid those reataurants. We do have some favorites that we will always frequent and have grown to look forward to.

The last few trips we really concentrated on trying new, unique, local dining. We are not a family that plans every meal and meal time. In fact we have been guilty of grooving on the late evening beach vibe and completely missing our dining reservations when we tried to plan a meal.

This spring I really want to seek out those small hidden gems. The small business owned family establishments. So I was hoping we could collectively create a list of these unique and truly Island locations. I want to hear about the rum bars, dinettes and small take out shacks, places to get a great pastiche or a cold cheap beer.

let me know your thoughts and shout outs.
    RP

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Good luck sticking to your plan I hope you do and I hope you share a trip report as well. Happy Count Down

Aruba since 1979
    you have lots of reading in the culinary category to do

to name a few and you are looking for family friendly and local owned....?
    try
    Marina Pirata
    Barneys
    Lindas
    Buccaneer
    B55
    Papiamento
    Cooks

to name a few

use the search and tag option and pour yourself a cold beverage with an umbrella and pretend you are reading an aruba restaurant menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ralph View Post
    Our past few trips we have really concentrated on expolring the island and digging on those local, off the beaten path resturants and dining establishments. I get such an island vibe getting lost in the rental or walking through the side streets and eyeing the architecture, shops and lesser known eateries.

Now that we've kicked into our post holiday countdown mode, I've been conversing with Kat about my philosphy of embracing the island as a whole and not just a destination for pool, sand, sea and magaritas. I really would like to make an effort to avoid the "strip" dining this trip and seek out those small, local mom and pop, inland or other side of the bridge (as SanNic44 refers) eateries. Kat and I both detest the mandatory service/gratuity charges alot of the strip and popular establishments enforce and we have tried to avoid those reataurants. We do have some favorites that we will always frequent and have grown to look forward to.

The last few trips we really concentrated on trying new, unique, local dining. We are not a family that plans every meal and meal time. In fact we have been guilty of grooving on the late evening beach vibe and completely missing our dining reservations when we tried to plan a meal.

This spring I really want to seek out those small hidden gems. The small business owned family establishments. So I was hoping we could collectively create a list of these unique and truly Island locations. I want to hear about the rum bars, dinettes and small take out shacks, places to get a great pastiche or a cold cheap beer.

let me know your thoughts and shout outs.
    RP
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-15-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: delete peanuts /closed

thank you for your suggetions but i'm not looking for any of those named restaurants and establishments. Some of the ones you metioned I even enjoy. others-not so much. My search is for the more off beat and local flare.

RP

Aruba since 1979
    well then ok, all right!
    check out san nics bent page site.

he has more off beat and local fare on his site.

another for you to consider might be urataka ctr, near the entrance to the arikok park.
    very off the beaten path
    very local
    delicious
    very limited menu
    burgers and pizza

QUOTE=NJ Ralph;239034]thank you for your suggetions but i'm not looking for any of those named restaurants and establishments. Some of the ones you metioned I even enjoy. others-not so much. My search is for the more off beat and local flare.

RP[/QUOTE]

yeah! I saw a few posts about the UC burgers. Got it on my scratch list already.
    SanNic has always been a fantastic resource. I'm really interested in other members thoughts. I would love to hear about some small rum bar or great sandwich shop someone accidentally came across.
    RP

LOL, it seems there are "take aways" on just about every corner outside of the Palm and Eagle beaches. SanNic and other locals are probably your best resource. I would message SanNic for a specific list and I betcha he will list more places on his blog than you will have lunches and dinners to visit

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    Palm Beach Refreshment for lunch. Cheap, plentiful and delicious. A few tables inside or take out. 99% locals. It's located a few doors from Wacky Wahoo but closer to the main strip. We make several trips there each year during our 2 week stay.

Early in the morning little snack shacks open up next to homes and what not. They make great breakfast sandwiches on the softest rolls for very little money. You will see a little line of locals out front. Mamas truck on the beach by Swiss Chalet is great and cheap.-bring some cold ones with you. Rice, pork,chicken and beef to go. A nice local picinic lunch right on the beach. We find local BBQ places on the side of the road on our way into ST.Nic are the best. So cheap and delicious. Little roadside BBQ pits that are to die for. Zeerovers in Savaneeta is fun and basic on picinic tables on the water. You might have some to shoo some flies away but its worth it. The Esso Rum Shoppe has the coldest beers on the island. A little shack on the way to ST.NIC where its open to the street and fun to have a cold beer and a rum watching the locals. B55 is a cool place over looking the desert scrub. Cool place out of the way for lunch. Good BBQ there too. Not a regular tourist spot but a fun place. Scotts Bratts is in a busy place behind Costa Linda but real nice peole there and ice cold heinekins. We met St. Nic there and got him to sign his book for us. We have met some of the nicest locals checking out these little off the beaten track places and they give us another lead as where to go next. Good luck- just get in the car and drive and bring some cold ones with you. Give a local a beer, show you are sincere and they will tell you about their hidden gem.
    Sean and Susan

try scotts brats right on beach breakfast sandwich 4 bucks can't go wrong add a heineken for another 4 what a start to the day for 8 bucks leave what you want. the brats and sausages are great also,or maybe a blood mary with breakfast make it your way

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast