Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Old man and the sea rest. Eagle beach, and the swimming pool at the La Cabanna

Old Man and the Sea

We were told by our guest services to try this place and were we glad that we listened to them. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and wanted somewhere not only romantic but good food. We were not disappointed on either. Our table was at the foot of the water with a beautiful view of the ocean. The tables were quite a ways apart so it was really private. Our server was excellent and quite friendly. We started out with a glass of pino grigio and a appetizer called Seared Shrimp Caprese. Wow..it was amazing. Garlic infused shrimp,herb creamed cheese and a roma tomato stacked on a crustini with a blend of Cointreau and balsamic drizzle. My husband ordered the Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon wrapped in hickory smoked bacon and a mushroom sauce. I was surprised he let me have a bite..it was fantastic. I, being the shrimp person I am, ordered the Penne and Shrimp a la vodka. The vodka creme sauce was out of this world. We were to full for dessert, but they had a list of them I would have loved to try. As we watched the sun go down a lantern was brought to our table and enjoyed the romantic atmosphere. I would highly recommend going here. We were introduced to the owner while we were leaving and he was so kind and polite. We just wish this wasn't the end of our vacation, because we would surely go back there again and again.

It must be difficult promoting a new restaurant in Aruba.

We are planning on trying OMATS next week. We will post a review when we get back. Hopefully there is no dress code, we are packing lite.
    Last edited by puffthefish; 08-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.

is it possible/advisable to take a bus at least one way to OMATS? leaving from Westin (hi-rise)?
    http://www.arubus.com/schedule.htm#BUS%20SCHEDULES

Quote Originally Posted by kdecker View Post
    is it possible/advisable to take a bus at least one way to OMATS? leaving from Westin (hi-rise)?
    http://www.arubus.com/schedule.htm#BUS%20SCHEDULES
    I have not been there yet personally but from what I know of the area, it is more than likely too far off of the highway to walk. Personally I wouldn't want to walk it at night either, not because it is dangerous, but because of potholes. With my luck I would break an ankle.

Why not rent a car or jeep for the day and use the vehicle to head down that way that night?

This is one heck of an amazing restaurant. Their setting is amazingly beautiful and the food is excellent.

There is no restaurant on the island with such a beautiful setting on the beach. This is a must visit. It is not crowded since the tables are far appart. You can dine anywhere at this restaurant with your privacy. I've spoken to the owner and he said they are focussing on the quality rather than the quantity.

You must visit this restaurant since words can not describe how beautifl it is and how relaxing you do feel when dining.

We went last night and it was beautiful. The view and decor was fantastic. Service was friendly and top notch. It has a wine cellar that keeps the wine at the perfect temp, not even Screaming Eagle mastered that trick. (one of my pet peeves is red wine at room temp)

The bad news is that after night fall and heavy rains there were flying ants all over the table while we tried to eat. One even went for a swim in her water, and a few were drowning in the seasoned olive oil that they put out.

The food was good.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Puff and white shark...got any pictures, I'm dieing to go to that place!!! What did you have to eat....

Pictures when I get back, I got a few.

I had the lamb chops, which were a bit over cooked, but otherwise ok. She had the penne in vodka sauce, which was just ok also. Food wise, this was our least favorite restaurant. It was not bad, but I certainly found nothing to rave about.

Great wine cellar, the owner certainly loves his wine.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Puff and white shark...got any pictures, I'm dieing to go to that place!!! What did you have to eat....

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Puff, would you recommend trying another dish...it sounds like what you had ordered would have been exactly what my Dh would have ordered. Other than that, everything else sounded ok?? Pictures from 44 look fabulous, so I am really interested in hearing all about it.

Maybe we just had bad luck, or the recipe was not our style. I would not order it again, but as with everything, ymmv.
    Everything else was great, except of course the bugs. They do come out after a rainstorm, and that was a massive one. When dining by the sea, I think it would be a good idea not to go on the same day as a rainstorm.

Here are some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/puffthefish

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast