Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Opinions on the best Italian

Opinions on the best Italian

Hi again everyone,

Since there seem to be some seasoned professionals in this forum I thought I'd ask one more question. Again, I'm a first timer to Aruba along with my girlfriend so we are clueless.

I've heard about a few different Italian restaurants and can't decide on which to visit. Do any of you have any opinions on Sole Mare or Gianni's? Or is there another Italian spot that I'm missing completely?

Thanks again for all of the help!
    Rob

Aruba since 1979
    personally i love sole mare

but this old irish girl grew up on steak, chicken and potatoes.

i always thought chef boy ardee was "the bomb" til i hit high school.

i do love good italian, but i bet some real italians will have other opinions on good italian in aruba.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSharrio View Post
    Hi again everyone,

Since there seem to be some seasoned professionals in this forum I thought I'd ask one more question. Again, I'm a first timer to Aruba along with my girlfriend so we are clueless.

I've heard about a few different Italian restaurants and can't decide on which to visit. Do any of you have any opinions on Sole Mare or Gianni's? Or is there another Italian spot that I'm missing completely?

Thanks again for all of the help!
    Rob

I would not go to either Sole mare or Giannis. I have not heard anything great about either place. Myself, I like Casa Tua on the corner across from the Radisson or for a very reasonable, excellent Italian dinner, I would go to Pizza and More on Main St next to Maggy's downtown. The owners are a wonderful couple from northern Italy and the food is terrific. It's just not pizza but a little of everything made fresh on site. . . . This little place is always a hit with everyone I send there. The owners, Marco and Mema are wonderful people and go out of their way to make you happy. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Aruba since 1979
    ahh YES tom!
    we have had the Pizza from Pizza N More and it was wonderful!
    Great suggestion about Casa Tua too.
    Now that the downtown road/trolley construction is DONE (thank goodness) Pizza N More is very easily accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    I would not go to either Sole mare or Giannis. I have not heard anything great about either place. Myself, I like Casa Tua on the corner across from the Radisson or for a very reasonable, excellent Italian dinner, I would go to Pizza and More on Main St next to Maggy's downtown. The owners are a wonderful couple from northern Italy and the food is terrific. It's just not pizza but a little of everything made fresh on site. . . . This little place is always a hit with everyone I send there. The owners, Marco and Mema are wonderful people and go out of their way to make you happy. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I'm not Italian so I'm probably not the best judge of Italian food. I'm just a southern girl, but we loved Azzurro at Playa Linda. We went for the first time in Feb. and thought it was excellent, not just the food, but the service and ambiance as well. It is on our short list for our next trip.

Aruba since 1979
    hatteras………..and others too
    here is Azzurro's menu
    http://www.azzurros.com/wp/wp-conten...-Menu-2011.pdf

I never thought we could get decent Italian food in Aruba but we tried Sole Mare and was pretty happy with it. Complementary fried polenta with sauce to start was a nice surprise. The veal parm was surprisingly good. I could do without the accordion player going table to table but that's just me. I would definitely go back. I would even go back to Giannis but thought the service was inattentive. Casa Tua is also a great spot both in the high rise area and downtown. Aruba is not where I would go for a fix on Italian food but if I had a craving I would head to sole Mare. I also was surprised at how good the lasagna was at Matthews when my husband ordered it.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Unfortunately, the best Italian restaurant (IMHO)on Aruba closed several years ago. Alfredo's at adventure mall, next to the Black Hog saloon. There is a new grocery store there now. We have not been to Azzurro's though and the menu looks good. Thought Sole Mare was just OK. Have not tried Casa Tua. Gianni's was good but overpriced small portions. I think they charged us for extra bread but not sure.

My grandparents came over from Italy so I do know a little about Italian food. I also cook a little. My grandfather taught me a little. Made shrimp scampi in a white wine garlic cream sauce over fettuccine noodles last Sunday. My grand kids love the Spaghetti and meat balls and chicken parmesan. We generally don't eat a lot of Italian out as I cook it myself.
    Last edited by arubabob; 03-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Ok. For what it's worth. I don't like to make comments about food because depending on how you grew up and where you're from, food is more about your palate than anything else. My wife and I talked a friend, who is a James Beard Award winning northern italian chef, into going to Aruba with us 2 years ago. Some food he liked, some he did not. We went to Hostaria Da Vittorio for dinner and he couldn't believe how "exceptional" the food was. He said the ingredients were fresh, top notch, and the dishes were spot on! To this day, he still talks about the place. So, I'll go with this place.

Quote Originally Posted by joeytruck View Post
    Ok. For what it's worth. I don't like to make comments about food because depending on how you grew up and where you're from, food is more about your palate than anything else. My wife and I talked a friend, who is a James Beard Award winning northern italian chef, into going to Aruba with us 2 years ago. Some food he liked, some he did not. We went to Hostaria Da Vittorio for dinner and he couldn't believe how "exceptional" the food was. He said the ingredients were fresh, top notch, and the dishes were spot on! To this day, he still talks about the place. So, I'll go with this place.

I agree on this assessment of Hostaria Da Vittorio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast