Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Passions Restaurant

We saw that Passions has had a lot of good reviews and is recommended a lot and we are interested in going when we go to Aruba next week. However, I did see a few reviews how there were tons of mosquitos/bugs at night. Just wanted to know if you encountered that while you were eating.

Thumbs up

Been there a few times and had never had a problem with insects. . . Always has been enough of a breeze that it was always pleasant. . .

Tom and Stanley

Ok, I'll apologize ahead of time to those that really enjoy it, but Passions would not be my choice.
    We had reservations there a couple weeks ago based on recommendations on here (every other recommendation has been great by the way, keep em coming everybody) and we walked out.
    The beach area would be fantastic if it weren't 30 feet away from the Palapas and fat people in bikinis. Sorry, can't eat watching that and it's very hard to look away when they're 1,000lbs. I didn't go in the bathrooms, but they looked like outhouses. I asked the waiter and he said they werent', but plastic doors are plastic doors. I noticed the plastic champagne flutes and said "Let's hit it".
    Again, not slamming anyone's favorite place, but no way I'm paying those prices and not having top notch accomodations. We ended up going to Matthew's for the first time that night and very much enjoyed it.

Mosquitos were a huge complaint a few weeks ago due to heavy rains on the island. That said, it is not normal for Aruba.

We ate there a few weeks ago and had no problems with mosquitoes. But as Lisa said, there had been alot of rain recently and during that time it was hard to avoid mosquitoes anywhere at night.

The reason for the plastic stemware is because the restaurant is on the beach and they don't want to worry about broken glass on the beach.

You can use the bathrooms at the hotel across the street. People used to complain that it was too far to walk so they added bathrooms on the beach. I've used them and they do look like outhouses from the outside. But they are large, clean, have a real toilet, full length mirror, and sink to wash your hands. They do a very nice job of keeping them clean for the people at dinner at night.

We always have a wonderful dinner there and usually save it for our last night on the island. Service and food are both great.

Photos from Passions:

Last edited by ~Amy~®; 10-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I think it looks gorgeous. We already have our selections for dinner, but we do plan on going to Passions for champagne and dessert one evening.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience at Passions, Matt. Most beachgoers are considerate of on the beach restaurants and do no frolic in the water by the tables, nor do they lounge near the restaurants. When my husband and I went to Passions for dinner in Feb, there was a group of 20-somethings playing volleyball about 40 yards away. At one point all of them ran into the water and mooned the camera! We were not offended, we actually found it humorous and it did not in any way ruin the ambiance of the occasion. Also, sunset is right around 6:30, which is dinner time for most people, and after the sun goes down you will not be 'bothered' by sunbathers, no matter their size ;-)

Matt, I hope you give Passions another try. I’ve only been once but I loved it and plan to go back. Although, there were no 1000lb bikini bods in my line of view . I can see where that would be a turn-off. The plastic stemware is weird…we had real glasses for our cocktails, beer and water. You are right, paying those prices and receiving your drink in plastic is very cheesy. However, the food was wonderful and they had live music and slow-dancing, so romantic. We had a 6:30 reservation and there were a few people in the water but I think they were just there for the sunset because after that they were gone. As far as the bathroom, that was a huge turn-off for me because it looked like a porter potty but it was clean inside and it beats walking across the street.

And…no need to apologize for voicing your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    The plastic stemware is weird…we had real glasses for our cocktails, beer and water. You are right, paying those prices and receiving your drink in plastic is very cheesy.
    I had to ask my husband about the glassware (he remembers these things better than me) and he told me that they used plastic stemware in the past but as of this year, when we were there in both May and Sept. for dinner, they now have real glassware (wine glasses, martini glasses, etc.)

Photo from Sept 2010:

Photo from May 2010:

~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    We thought the best part of dinner at Passions was the light-up menus! Food was pretty good, service nice, the "bathroom" a better alternative than a walk across the street! Drinks were in glasses, my mix was flat but was replaced with a new one. Biggest complaint for us was the wind! And, being right out on a huge open beach didn't feel secluded or romantic.

We thought Mirandis was better by far, a cozier more intimate setting with great food and service.

Also, The Flying Fishbone.

And our NUMBER ONE choice for all-around best atmosphere, romantic ambience, privacy and delicious dinner was Papiamento's, even though it's not on the water!

(I know there are many who rank Passions as #1 -- this was our personal opinion for what worked best for us!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast