Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pelican Nest - BEWARE of Deceptive Service Charge Practices

agree 100%, to each his own.

I'm not sure I get your point. The thread is about a misleading tipping practice. If you are commenting on my reference about us visiting often enough (and not mentioning owning property here) to consider ourselves "locals", then I take offence to the sarcasm if it is intended. My comment is as much a tribute to the friendliness of the Aruban people who open their arms and make everyone feel "at home" here.

Aruba since 1979
    and this is a prime example of why it is important to stay on topic.

from this post forward, the topic is about perceived deceptive tipping practice at the "pelican restaurant/bar"

it is not about europe, nyc, canada,
    it is also not about how often one visits aruba, lives on aruba or where one lives.
    some posts can be perceived as boasting and snarky.

that is why i am asking that all posters on this thread, take a look at your posts and then see if you are on track or topic. if you want YOUR post deleted, HIT the RED REPORT after your post and tell us. lisa or i will delete it. or if you want, go back to your post, hit EDIT and edit out what you want edited out and hit save.

i am one of the biggest off topic violators.....sometimes these threads take a whole new life of their own.

i ask that we refrain from any unpleasantness and get to the topic at hand
    and we know the topic on this thread.

Aruba since 1979

IGNORE trolls and TROUBLE makers

FEEDING trolls makes things worse.

A portion of the Bulletin Board Rules:
    Listed below are some, though not all, violations which may result in Aruba.com banning/terminating or suspending you from using "Aruba.com Community Forum". You agree not to do any of the following actions while using "Aruba.com Community Forum". Moderators may, at will and without notice, remove postings or ban participants that are deemed objectionable or that violate this code of conduct. Moderators have the right to delete or add a statement or disclaimer in any posting.
    Please treat all other online participants with respect and do not use the "Aruba.com Community Forum" to threaten, harass, stalk, or abuse other users. Aruba.com reserves the right to remove user-created services and content that advocate or encourage expressions of violence, drug use, bigotry, racism, hatred, obscenity, or profanity.

Ignore trolls and troublemakers. Posting only encourages them. The threads may be entertaining to those individuals who are uninvolved in the personal attacks, but they only cause problems in the long term.
    Do not attempt to post topics with "hidden agenda" items while "hiding behind" the rules of this board so as to bait other members of this forum into a "flame" fight.
    Have respect for other opinions. If you disagree with someone, do not attack them personally. Try to make thoughtful comments about their opinion, perspective, assumptions, etc., but do not attack them personally. Everyone has an opinion based on a number of different factors, like their own personal experiences, values, etc. If someone disagrees with you, it is probably because they value one thing more than another. Attacking them does nothing but create anger and resentment. Discussing the values and perspective that underlies their opinions may increase your understanding and it may encourage them to see your perspective as well. Personal attacks are the tools of someone who probably doesnít have a very good point to make, or of someone who holds a belief that has no foundation in reasoned thought.

Use smiley faces, emoticons or other indicators of intent liberally. One of the major flaws of Internet communication is the lack of vocal inflections and visual indications of emotion, intent, sarcasm, etc. Be clear what you mean. Many problems occur because someone does not pick up on the sarcasm or otherwise get the joke.

Donít say something to someone you wouldnít say to them in person. This wonít stop a few people from saying inappropriate things, and those people should probably learn a few lessons about tact, respect, decorum, etc.
    es posting with hidden agendas.

"Aruba.com" may elect at its sole discretion to monitor some, all, or no areas of "Aruba.com Community Forum" for adherence to this agreement or Aruba.comís rules. You acknowledge that by providing you with the ability to distribute your postings, Aruba.com is acting as a passive conduit for such distribution. We reserve the right to modify or remove any content that violate any of the "Aruba.com Community Forum Rules".

Abide by Copyright Law
    Quote only what is necessary to support your point.
    Provide the relevant source information - website name, website address, article title, author, date, book title, publication, page number.
    When quoting from an on-line source, provide the URL (beginning with http://) of the specific page you are quoting. Unless the on-line document is not freely accessible to all, do not post it in its entirety.
    Please note that virtually anything you can find in print, on the web or off, is copyrighted. If you canít find a copyright notice it is best to assume the work youíre quoting is copyrighted and proceed accordingly.

We reserve the right to remove, after one request to the poster for the required information to be posted within 24 hours, any postings that is in violation of this rule.

Trolls and Trolling
    Trolls are not welcome and will be banned. An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. They try to start arguments and upset people. Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they donít "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their "achievement" (as they see it). The anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish. They are easily identified by the fact that they are constantly at odds with other members of the forum, and often "poke fun" at individuals they have disagreed with in the past, trying to provoke a reaction. Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash. When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls canít handle is being ignored. Again we will ban anyone who practices "Trolling".

Thread Hijacking
    Keep threads on topic. If you wish to start a discussion on a new topic start a new thread please. We all know that conversations take on a life of their own, but we do not want to have thread subjects that have nothing to do with the threadís title. Stay on topic.

We reserve the right to remove any signatures that we deem inappropriate, without notice.

We donít advise putting your email, home address, or phone number in a signature line because of possible email harvesting and your privacy. For your protection we do not allow addresses and/or phone numbers in signature lines or the body of posts. We reserve the right to modify or remove any signature. Moderators will edit out signatures that violate any of these rules. We will send you one PRIVATE MESSAGE about an incorrect signature line. If you do not correct it, moderators/administrators have the right to access your profile and edit your signature line. If the problem persists you will be suspended from posting on the "Aruba.com Community Board".

User Termination/Ban/Suspension:
    Aruba.com retains the absolute right to terminate any user id, to revoke an individualís posting privileges, to ban an individual from creating any new user ids, and to terminate any personís membership.

What to Do:
    If you witness a posting on a "Aruba.com Community Forum" which violates the rules then in effect, please send a spam report by clicking on the REPORT button.

While I agree it's somewhat misleading, almost every place on the island does it as normal practice. Not many though will mark as "tip not included". As I have read and been told, the "service charge" is divided among the wait staff, cook, etc. I too normally tip 20+ %, so I will usually add about 5% to the bottom line.

I did however feel that the La Trattoria was deliberately misleading. They did say something in fine print on the bottom of their menu's that the "service charge" would appear as "Tax" on the invoice. So if you checked the invoice, it would not say service charge anywhere. So most people would add 15% to 20% on top of this. I would imagine they will tell you something like that's the only way they can do it with their registers/software, but to me looks like a deliberate step to deceive their customers.

At least that's the way is was a couple of years ago ... and we haven't been back since.

Aruba since 1979
    and to those that are upset with my editing and deletions........
    i cannot apologize for following the rules.

i will however apologize for letting the thread take off in a state of "snarkiness" which i should have take care of yesterday.

the deletions and edits stand.

It seems like one of the problems with the service charge/tipping situation is that there's not an uniform policy. I did a little digging and found that some restaurant owners claim that they pay the normal minimum wage to their waitstaff while others follow the US standard of paying less than min wage with tips making up the difference. Some owners claim that the service charge is divided among the people who work behind the scenes (cooks for example) with a portion going to pay for the staff's medical insurance. I also read that the service charge was implemented in some restaurants because of the arguments among the staff that the tips were not always fairly being shared. There are also tax implications for the owners when they charge a service charge.

I'd be pretty unhappy if I was blind sided with a 15% service charge that's not spelled out on the menu, especially if they try to pull the ruse that it's not a tip. I can't in good conscience not add 5% for the waitstaff at that point (and extra $5 on a $100 isn't going to make any difference to me financially, and the person serving me deserves something, in my opinion), but I'm not going to be bullied (at least that's how it looks to me) into paying 15% plus an extra 20% (my general tip for good service) because I'm sympathetic. I also will avoid restaurants that do this like the plague. It sounds like an unfair practice and a sneaky way to increase their prices by 15%.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Thanks all for your comments on this thread. If a service charge added is clearly outlined on the menu or on the bill and even a "suggestion" that one could feel free to add a tip for extraordinary service, that would be fine. I just found it somewhat devious that a stamp on the bill would say one thing, but if one were not cautious, they would get stung with the double-dip-tip :-)

In fairness, I did email the folks at Pelican to both express my disappointment with their practice and point them to this thread, but no one ever got back to me.

I hope everyone is enjoying their time on the happy island.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post
    In fairness, I did email the folks at Pelican to both express my disappointment with their practice and point them to this thread, but no one ever got back to me.
    The attitude of any business, anywhere, speaks volumes.

If they do not take the time to acknowledge your comments, whether good or bad, what does this say about their integrity in the first place?

Years back we had a distasteful experience at a restaurant on the island which did not accept AMEX. The waitress threw the credit card at my husband. We faithfully visited the restaurant twice every visit to the island. We loved the food and the atmosphere and I recommended it to anyone who would listen. No more. They lost us as customers and I no longer mention them.

Before that, there had been another restaurant which had refused to call a taxi for us after our meal. It was pouring rain. We vowed to never go back and they went out of business a short time later.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We have been told by several locals that the service charge in most cases is divided up for the owner and employees. In this regard it is not a "tip" for your waitperson, it is a fee that goes to the restaurant. We have also been told by several locals that some owners dont "share" the same as others. The bottom line is that your server does not get the whole service charge and in some places, none of it. In those instances you are not tipping your server, just the owner. It would be nice to know which ones are which. A server at Matthews told us the service charge is split pretty equally among the staff.
    We usually tip about 20% as well. What we have been doing on Aruba is paying the bill with a credit card and leaving any additional tip in cash. That way the waitperson gets that at least. Some places do not add a ser charge and we still leave the tip in cash.
    We have eaten many meals at the Pelicans nest and have not been dissapointed in the food there. I usually get the grilled grouper and my wife gets the Mahi. They are quite different. I would think it was simply an error if you got grouper instead of Mahi. Like someone said, grouper is more exspensive.
    Last edited by arubabob; 01-19-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast