Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pelican Nest - BEWARE of Deceptive Service Charge Practices

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    I would think it was simply an error if you got grouper instead of Mahi. Like someone said, grouper is more exspensive.
    Not necessarily - all depends on where you are in the world and also the year (if the fish is abundant or not, etc.) Fish can be like a fine wine and the price on all will vary from year to year and season to season.

----------------------
    From a local foodie paper in Miami regarding the substituting of fish:

For instance a rep from a large-volume food distributor in Miami says the restaurants he services "order a lot of tilapia, but I haven't seen tilapia much on the special boards." Instead, he notes, the restaurants will relabel tilapia (which is a pleasant white fish that has been known in the past to be both cheap and plentiful) as grouper, which is trendier, and sell it for twice as much. Grouper, in turn, my source admits, often is substituted for the more expensive mahi-mahi.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    exactly!
    yesterdayy at our produce and fresh fish mkt they had fresh grouper for $7.49 a lb
    the week before it was over $13 per lb

just watch fish prices during lent. they become real competitive.

i was at a restaurant in aruba a year or so ago and the waiter and then chef were called on the carpet and accused of serving tilapia in place of its very popular grouper dish. the waiter and owner/chef were all adamant that it was grouper served. it got loud and ridiculous.
    but, as amy quoted that "foodie paper in miami"........

now i wonder how much fish substitutions happen?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Not necessarily - all depends on where you are in the world and also the year (if the fish is abundant or not, etc.) Fish can be like a fine wine and the price on all will vary from year to year and season to season.

----------------------
    From a local foodie paper in Miami regarding the substituting of fish:

For instance a rep from a large-volume food distributor in Miami says the restaurants he services "order a lot of tilapia, but I haven't seen tilapia much on the special boards." Instead, he notes, the restaurants will relabel tilapia (which is a pleasant white fish that has been known in the past to be both cheap and plentiful) as grouper, which is trendier, and sell it for twice as much. Grouper, in turn, my source admits, often is substituted for the more expensive mahi-mahi.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    now i wonder how much fish substitutions happen?
    Difficult to prove as a patron anywhere, but...

Mystery fish: Consumer Reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234