Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Queen's Restaurant and White Modern Cuisine - closed

Queen's Restaurant and White Modern Cuisine - closed

Seems like the Palm Beach Plaza Mall is not doing well. Alot of empty stores and two restaurant closings.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Seems like the Palm Beach Plaza Mall is not doing well. Alot of empty stores and two restaurant closings.
    Oh no! I'm really disappointed WMC couldn't make a go of it. I hope he's not in trouble at "Kitchen Table".

That is to bad. When the Plaza went up I questioned the need for all of the stores, it seemed like a bit of overkill. I never dined at white-modern because it did not feel like a vacation spot at all to me so I passed, and by the sounds of it a lot of others did as well. That said, I always read good things about them...

Aruba since 1979
    that is too bad
    i always hate to see restaurants and local businesses go under.

also too, maybe a glut of stores/malls in that area.

Yep, the place is a ghost town. We were there yesterday and it seemed like a lot of places had closed.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I saw the restaurant closings on someone's trip report today on another forum. I really enjoyed my meals the times I dined at White Modern. It was a great dining experience with delicious food. Hopefully, Chef/owner Urvin Croes is doing well with his restaurant The Table by White at Blue Residences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7QLMB8hsys

Besides the store closings I'm sure the rent at Palm Plaza helped close The Queens. I hope Luisa, the owner finds another location. She's a very nice lady.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 05-11-2016 at 08:20 PM.

White Modern Cuisine was an interesting place that has wavered with us on both ends of the spectrum. The service was slow as they painstakingly prepared the dishes. Very rigid on their menus and substitutions. For example, DH asked if he could have the potatoes that came with the steak even though he was not ordering steak. Each time he was told that they only had enough to pair with the steak???? Very strange answer, imo and this was the same answer we got all five times we went there.

Bartender drinks were beautifully prepared. Sad to see it go but not totally surprised based on my varied experiences. Too bad though as the location was perfect for all the Palm Beach guests who wanted to walk to dinner.

Aruba now has so many great places and you need to be on the ball at all times. The power of the internet can make or break you.

Hope Taste of Belgium is going to stay put.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I wonder if rising rent forced WMC out? If it did, I hope he comes back with a rip roaring bang downtown. He really is elevating cuisine on the island.

Aruba since 1979
    sometimes the whole rent thing is so ridiculous.
    the property owner should charge an acceptable rent.
    high rents cause these businesses to go belly up.
    then the unit goes empty for a long time causing the property owner to lose.

we owned a multi family house in MA.
    we charged rent well below fair market value.
    we tried to be fair and accommodating, we needed to meet expenses and we needed to add to the emergency house fund for that property.
    by us not being greedy, we kept the same good tenants in there from 1997 to 2008.
    we sold the house and the new owner raised the rents, lost the good tenants, and the 4 units sat empty for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    sometimes the whole rent thing is so ridiculous.
    the property owner should charge an acceptable rent.
    high rents cause these businesses to go belly up.
    then the unit goes empty for a long time causing the property owner to lose.

we owned a multi family house in MA.
    we charged rent well below fair market value.
    we tried to be fair and accommodating, we needed to meet expenses and we needed to add to the emergency house fund for that property.
    by us not being greedy, we kept the same good tenants in there from 1997 to 2008.
    we sold the house and the new owner raised the rents, lost the good tenants, and the 4 units sat empty for months.
    Exhibit A: Rat Land!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast