Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Queen's Restaurant and White Modern Cuisine - closed

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I wonder what demographics they used when deciding to build those shopping malls. I would think they would have to be supported by locals and not depend on tourists to keep them afloat. Tourists don't tend to do a lot of mall shopping when on vacation for a short period of time. They bring most of what they need with them for a week or 2 week stay. The exception would be restaurants and grocery stores. If the stores are not addressing the concerns and needs of local shoppers, they will be in trouble. I have seen that in other tourist places as well. Lots of empty shops. I know we have never bought clothing, shoes or sports gear there except for T-shirts with Aruba on them. We have seen 3 movies there in our 19 trips. We have bought a watch and a ring in that time period. We do use the grocery stores and restaurants a lot but that is about it. Are the rest of you guys like us or are we weird?

Aruba since 1979
    we do the same as you.
    groceries, restaurants for us.
    maybe an occasional souvenir...something nice from an aruban artisan, or a jewelry store.

never mall shopping.
    never clothing shopping.
    (once i did lose a sneaker and had to go downtown to buy a pair)

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    I wonder what demographics they used when deciding to build those shopping malls. I would think they would have to be supported by locals and not depend on tourists to keep them afloat. Tourists don't tend to do a lot of mall shopping when on vacation for a short period of time. They bring most of what they need with them for a week or 2 week stay. The exception would be restaurants and grocery stores. If the stores are not addressing the concerns and needs of local shoppers, they will be in trouble. I have seen that in other tourist places as well. Lots of empty shops. I know we have never bought clothing, shoes or sports gear there except for T-shirts with Aruba on them. We have seen 3 movies there in our 19 trips. We have bought a watch and a ring in that time period. We do use the grocery stores and restaurants a lot but that is about it. Are the rest of you guys like us or are we weird?

We have walked thru the mall multiple times but we have never eaten there. I expect this summer we will watch a movie because we are there so long.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 05-17-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    we do the same as you.
    groceries, restaurants for us.
    maybe an occasional souvenir...something nice from an aruban artisan, or a jewelry store.

never mall shopping.
    never clothing shopping.
    (once i did lose a sneaker and had to go downtown to buy a pair)
    I'm of the FIRM belief that the "one shoe story" deserves its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    You're not weird... we travel like that as well.

But we do stop in at Bula on a regular basis - we really like the staff and merchandise - especially the t-shirts.

The first time we went to White Modern Cuisine, I thought, "Ugh. We're going to eat in a mall?!? Maybe we should hit a Sbarro first for a box of wine and some Kraft singles..." The Spouse knocked my nose out of the air and said, "Look at it this way... the bar is low because of your snooty expectations."

And, man, was it ever a shock how good and unusual it was... I'm really saddened that WMC has closed. We loved it. And I hope this just makes "Kitchen Table" even stronger.

Now I'm off to a food court to get my boxed-wine migraine started for the day...

White Modern Cuisine is going to reopen sometime in June at a new location (I don't know where at this time.)

We are the same on most of our vacations. We do a little "window shopping" but rarely buy anything unless it's unusual or a specific piece of art that will remind us of our trip.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Just saw this in Rona's Bati Bleki column:

http://batibleki.visitaruba.com/8am-...ast-residence/
    Chef Urvin Croes moving his restaurant concept to Gold Coast Residence

White Modern Cuisine was introduced at the Palm Beach Plaza Mall in February of 2012 and we have enjoyed some great meals there for the past four years. No more. The restaurant closed at the end of April, and will be relocating to the Club House of Gold Coast Residence within the next few weeks.
    The chef cites a disappointing high-season in the winter of 2016, combined with super slow foot-traffic in the mall, and increasingly high rent, as reasons for the relocation. In his new spot at Gold Coast Residence, White will be more family-friendly, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and thus attractive to a bigger segment of the market.
    When the chef first created his all-white contemporary eatery he promoted many new concepts, at least new to Aruba, including the Farm to Table movement, the foraging for edible weeds, craft cocktails, molecular gastronomy, micro cuisine, and the fact that dainty tweezers replaced the bulky tongs as the kitchen’s handiest tool.
    The creative and innovative Aruban-born Chef and his colorful and dynamic family including a super-woman support system, his wife Mary Ann Werleman, instantly became the media darlings, and the Aruba Tourism Authority showcased the culinary artists of White Modern Cuisine at every opportunity.
    But the second floor location of the Palm Beach Plaza Mall did not deliver, neither did the economy. So as a strategic realignment, the chef is moving his tweezers to the just-finished club house of Gold Coast Residence, where his rent will probably be more manageable, in view of the fact that his uncle is the real estate developer.
    The White Modern Cuisine menu will live on, in a new location, and Urvin will continue to teach his kitchen crew every secret of the trade, because that is also part of his mission, developing young and eager culinary talents on the island.
    Urvin, your local followers will remain your local followers wherever you go!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    White Modern Cuisine is going to reopen sometime in June at a new location (I don't know where at this time.)
    Amy - you just MADE my day!! That's great news... I hope he's thinking about doing something downtown a la Wilhelmina's. That old department store across from Que Pasa would be brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Amy - you just MADE my day!! That's great news... I hope he's thinking about doing something downtown a la Wilhelmina's. That old department store across from Que Pasa would be brilliant.

It looks like (according to Rona's column above) it's going to be at the Clubhouse in the Gold Coast. I would have liked to have seen it downtown, too. But at least they will be open again!
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    It looks like (according to Rona's column above) it's going to be at the Clubhouse in the Gold Coast. I would have liked to have seen it downtown, too. But at least they will be open again!
    That's a two minute drive from our house... we could even walk it!!

The universe is speaking directly to me!! LOL

Watch out Tierra Del Sol...!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast