Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Question for Grouper Lovers

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock

Question for Grouper Lovers

I have seen so many posts recently on how wonderful Grouper is in Aruba. I have never seen this fish around here in N.E. just wondering if this is a fish only found in the Caribbean or perhaps I just never heard of it. Can someone please describe what type of fish this is as far as taste. My DH loves any kind of fish, me personally do not like the taste of "fishy fish" if you know what I mean, I know it sounds silly. I may need to search this out and give it a try, after so many posts about how delicious it is.

Grouper is a warm water fish that can be found in both the Atlantic and Pacific, especially the Carribean and Gulf of Mexico. The flesh is firm and white with a mild flavor. The Red Parrot has broiled grouper on the menu but I don't think its the best example of a dish using this fish. I have on rare occasions seen it on Boston area menus but my guess is these fish were farmed. In Aruba, I like the fried grouper at Taste of Belgium and just might try the parmesean crusted version at Barneys.

Looking forward to the Divi and I'm sure we will see you there!

Aruba since 1979
    if you like haddock you will love grouper.

it can be special ordered at hannaford and stop and shop ....approx $18 lb.

another non fish fish is barracuda.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is an informative link about fish flavors. IMO, Catfish and Tilapia don't have the fishy taste. I would also recommend Alaska Cod, maybe just give it a try.

http://www.jensenbros-seafood.com/know.cfm

I don't do "fishy fish" but love Grouper. You will be fine.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I personally have done grouper " round the island" recently. By far Wacky Wahoo gets my #1 vote of approval. Had grouper 5 nights in a row. Should have known better as my 6th night sucked... You who knows me know where that was

Grouper is my Aruba favorite, followed closely by wahoo and mahi-mahi. For me, a lot of my taste has to do with how it's prepared. Ask your waiter for a description and pick what suits your taste.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

I find grouper similar to tilapia and halibut (ie very little "fishy" flavour). This very night, I had grouper at "White Modern" that I just might kill for. But I'll cover that in Culinary...

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Grouper doesn't taste at all fishy. It even has an almost sweet flavor to me. My two favorite places to get it are The Pelicans Nest on Pelican Pier. They serve it grilled with grilled veggies and rice. My mouth waters just thinking about it. They also serve grilled grouper sandwiches at lunch time if your not real hungry. Madame Janettes serves Almond crusted grouper with a cream spinach sauce. Cant get grouper here in Oklahoma but we have gotten it in Florida many times.

I love fish of all kind, but grouper is my favorite. We only have it in Aruba, but I will be,checking around at home. I usually don't eat fried fish but pan fried grouper with light breading is so light, that I do enjoy it. My recommendation to try it would be the Gary's Delight appetizer at Pelicans Nest pier on the bar side. Its only about $13 so you aren't out for a whole meal if you dont like it.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast