Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recipes

Fish Aruban Style with Creole Sauce albeit from Brisas del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by andy58 View Post
    They gave a side dish that looked like a pancake.

The pancake side you refer to is possibly Pan Bati, served in many Aruban restaurants.

"Pan Bati
    Very popular side dish that goes very well with Seafood and other typical Aruban delicacies ...

To make Pan Bati:

Mix in a bowl:
    2 cups flour
    1 cup corn flour
    2 tbs baking powder
    pinch of salt
    sugar to taste

Add:
    1 egg
    1 3/4 cup milk
    vanilla to taste

Batter the mixture until it becomes smooth (approx. 25 min) . If it is not smooth enough add a little water gradually until it smoothens. Like pancakes, put the mixture on a greased pan and turn the pan bati upside down when the downside is brown or dry."
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-29-2008 at 12:31 PM.

ArubaLisa, on the Keshi Yena Chicken from Gasparito's the procedure calls for capers, but no amount is listed in the ingrediants, maybe a T? Also I assume the chicken goes in with all the rest of the ingrediants after cooking the onions, but it does not list it that way. Do you think my assumption is correct? Not having had it before, I have no taste or visual experience to draw on. Thanks, Larry

Sorry, I honestly do not know. I just posted the recipe from the link listed. Checking the link again, it does not say the amount of caper.

I do know my husband's recipe comes out terrific everytime and tastes every bit as good as Gasparito's.

Thanks Lisa!

When I made it, I left out the capers (because I didn't have any and was to lazy to get them) and it turned out very tasty....

[quote=Arubalisa;98892]

THANK-YOU ARUBALISA....... for posting this wonderful pumpkin soup receipe. I made it last night and it was delicious. If a nit-wit like me can make it, anyone can. You are now 2 for 2 for excellent tasting receipes...the Kesha Yena Chicken and Pumpkin Soup. You are certainly adding to my waistline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 01-31-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Arrow Help!

Dh is baking this on Saturday for guests from Aruba (along with of course Keshi Yena and Pastechi ).

Andrea, did you bake your cake in layers like Aruba Destiny? Dh is wondering if he needs to double the recipe to do layers.

Hope they are not expecting an Italian meal , but they do love his KY better than their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    If any of you have ever had cashew cake in aruba..............here is a recipe that i found online a couple of years ago that tastes identical to the cashew cake served at Destiny. (not wild about Aruba Destiny, but do love their cake)

Preheat oven to 350

Cake:
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 3 egg whites
    • 1-1/2 cups sifted flour
    • tiny pinch of salt
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 cup whole milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    • 2 cups ground cashews
    Frosting: (use a metal bowl)
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1 cup confectionary sugar
    • 1/3 cup margarine
    • 1 teaspoon almond extract (no artificial flavoring)
    • tiny pinch of salt
    • 1 cup ground cashews
    DIRECTIONS:

Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg whites and mix well. Add the rest of the cake ingredients and mix well. Grease and flour a 9" round cake pan and bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Let cool.
    Frosting:
    In metal bowl......Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff. Add margarine, salt, almond extract and beat well.

okay, since there is not much else I can do with 8 broken ribs,,,,I may spend most of this coming weekend baking...starting with the pistachio cake..then work my way to the food catagory...YUM !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Dh doubled the cashew cake recipe and tripled the icing recipe and came up with a darn nice cake. FWIW, cashews are expensive in the food stores here, he found the best price for them at Trader Joes. Make SURE they are not salted!! Ours are unsalted and dd is insisting that the cake (from the crumbs and icing she sampled) is salty.

Thumbs up Pastechis (Antillean Meat Turnovers)

This recipe is a little different than the one I posted originally. They are time consuming. A good rainy day project, or good if you have a helper who will actually help , not hinder , you.

The recipe calls for them to be fried. We tried a couple both baked and fried and honestly there is not a big difference. For ease and health, just bake them for 10 minutes at 475 F.

We go mild on most spices so dh omitted the hot pepper/tabasco, curry, caper, olive and raisins. Still came out terrific.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast