Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kelmarino
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By cindyo
  • 1 Post By Jacki

Thread: Red Fish

Red Fish

Third post in less than 24 hours! New record for me. One of my resolutions this trip was to post a bit about our experiences as this board has been very helpful to us over the years.

This trip based upon research, we decided to give Red Fish a try. Red Fish based upon the research was more of a casual place and with our 7 1/2 and 5 year olds we tend to stay away from white table cloths as they have a tendency to get antsy and dirty looks. Another bonus was proximity - Red Fish was minutes from our condo.

To be blunt, we will not be back to Red Fish. Service was weak at best, while everyone has off nights there was no reason for them to be as off their game as they were with us. When we arrived we were one of 3-4 tables and they had plenty of wait staff who were hanging out. Our initial water fill was all we got all night, even as we hinted we would like more by placing our glasses at the end of the table. At one point we were asked if we had gotten our meal yet. To top it off, I had to go ask for our check at the end of the evening as I couldn't flag down anyone.

The food was okay, but not memorable by any standard. We ordered a calamari appetizer that was a bit small portion wise for the price to the point were we cracked a joke wondering when the rest was coming. For our main course the adults each had mahi-mahi prepared grilled or pan fired. The kids had to eat off the adult menu as there was not a kids menu; if I had known this we probably would not have come. $15 for a chicken breast cut into fingers is a bit steep when I can get this same meal pretty much anywhere else for 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price on the island.

Aruba since 1979
    That is too bad.
    So many great reviews in the place.

I am am a fan of chicken and imo $15 is on the low end from what are my experiences.

The local folks really love the place. Sorry you and your family were disappointed.

For an adult, I agree. Again, I should have checked it out and assumed there would be a kid's menu. My bad.

Service was just off in any case.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Surprized
    we were taken by Bully, a local and friend
    really enjoyed the fresh fish and service

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Did you ask to speak with a manager while onsite?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Last May we were thinking about trying it and heard a couple in the pool talking about their experience at Red fish with another couple. They had about the same experience you did but said their fish was way overcooked and dry. Said they would not go back. Another couple heard them and said they had eaten there and everything was great. We decided not to go. Just shows that tourists do mention bad experiences at restaurants so the owners should listen.

We were there this past December and really enjoyed our meal. We thought that the food was reasonably priced. The table service could have been better but we'll definitively go back.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience I went last August and had the shrimp and it was fantastic. Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in