Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Remember the selling water of in restaurants?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I believe I already contribute when I shop, eat, drink, gamble, rent a car & pay for parking. These all bring income & taxes to the people & the island. I believe as a tourist that should be enough. If I'm eating dinner in a restaurant & paying which is contributing to pay checks, taxes, etc., please just give me a glass of tap water without all the pomp & circumstances

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    From their FB:

August 12 Edited

The mission of Aqua48
    Aqua48. Help by drinking water

Aqua48 is a new initiative in Aruba for drinking water in restaurants, pubs and hotels. By ordering Aqua48, you are helping to support humanitarian causes. With Aqua48 you drink tap water of excellent quality from a special, recognizable glass. For a reasonable price, for both the consumer and the catering entrepreneur. At the same time you are helping to protect the environment. We like to explain how Aqua48 does this.

Support charities
    You can order Aqua48 (Aqua For Aid) in all participating catering companies in Aruba. Water quality with excellent flavor that is produced by WEB Aruba. Aqua 48 is available in a long drink glass of 27 cl. (just over 9 fl oz) for a suggested minimum consumer retail price of 1 florin. Your catering host pays a portion of his water turnover to Aqua48, part of which is donated to charities in Aruba. Especially for help to (orphaned) children, disabled, the elderly and animals in need. Through your support, we can do positive things in Aruba! Thanks to you. Only by drinking Aqua48!

Stop the waste
    By ordering Aqua48, you also help the environment. Aqua48 comes from a glass and not, like mineral water, from a small bottle. This saves the production of disposable plastic or glass bottles, transporting water and the otiose bottling process. Doing so the CO2 emissions are significantly reduced. On Aruba waste is a growing problem. With Aqua48 you can help to reduce the growing Aruban wasteproblem. So show your commitment to Aruban society and order Aqua48 drinking water!

https://www.facebook.com/Aqua48-1717659888462721/

The problem I see is that the program is being pushed down people's throats. It seems that some restaurants are portraying it as mandatory. Also, there seems to be none or little explanation of how much, or where the proceeds go.

In summary, a poorly executed program. If it is for real and the total proceeds go to charity,then the participating restaurants should have some sort of Govt approved info sheet to show patrons of the use of the charitable proceeds and give restaurant patrons the chance of accepting or denying to purchase. Without some influential endorsement it just has the appearance of a scam. Maybe if Minister Oduber or the PM Mike Eman gave a statement in support, and it was in printed format at each restaurant, this program may have some credibility. As it is now, it just seems like a commercial scam.

i could be wrong

j

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    I bedei you would...
    Ba-dum-bump! Two drink minimum! Try the fish! I'm here all week!

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

CK1
    There was an article in Diario dated 30 September 2015. It seems more than 50 restaurants are participating. One glass of water is 1 Florin:

http://www.diario.aw/2015/09/aqua48-...50-restaurant/

On the Aqua48 FB, they also have contact info:

CK1
    I don't believe that this is a scam. I agree that it would be nice to have more detailed info about the charities, if a 100% of the proceeds would go to charity or only a portion. And, as several charities are mentioned: "Especially for help to (orphaned) children, disabled, the elderly and animals in need" I would like to know how much will go to each charity. JMO.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Unfortunately, if I happen to go to a restaurant that forces me to pay the florin (I hate that), then i'll just minus it from the waitress's tip. I know it doesn't seem right but I refuse to be forced to pay for something. That is NOT what a Charitable donation is, that is what a tax is. Instead of mandatory forcing people to pay, just raise the price of the food by one dollar. I'd prefer that then to think I HAVE to donate. Do I get to keep the glass????

Funny, as long as it is an option, I'm ok with donating a dollar. Sneak it on my bill, or tell me I have to - that's another story!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    From their FB:...Aqua 48 is available in a long drink glass of 27 cl. (just over 9 fl oz) for a suggested minimum consumer retail price of 1 florin. Your catering host pays a portion of his water turnover to Aqua48, part of which is donated to charities in Aruba. ...
    So, the restaurant takes a cut, then Aruba48 take their share. It's amazing there's anything left for the charities.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    If the government wants to support this charity they could simply add a dollar to the exit tax we already pay. They have added a lot to that tax since our first trip to Aruba. At that time it was $15 in cash, at the airport. Now it is included in my air line ticket and I know its way more than $15. A better solution would be to cut out the restaurant take and simply have donation jars at the resorts and public places. Many people would not donate but many would and many would donate much more than a dollar if the charity was legitimate and presented properly. The way it is being done does not give you any breakdown on how the money is used, is inefficient and borders on coercion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast