Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Remember the selling water of in restaurants?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Jacki, I couldn't have said it better or feel differently. that's exactly how I feel..............

The Aruba48 site states the charge is 1 Afl. The restaurant visits indicate it's $1.00. Is this restaurants taking advantage of tourists' ignorance?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    The Aruba48 site states the charge is 1 Afl. The restaurant visits indicate it's $1.00. Is this restaurants taking advantage of tourists' ignorance?
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Support charities
    You can order Aqua48 (Aqua For Aid) in all participating catering companies in Aruba. Water quality with excellent flavor that is produced by WEB Aruba. Aqua 48 is available in a long drink glass of 27 cl. (just over 9 fl oz) for a suggested minimum consumer retail price of 1 florin. Your catering host pays a portion of his water turnover to Aqua48, part of which is donated to charities in Aruba. Especially for help to (orphaned) children, disabled, the elderly and animals in need. Through your support, we can do positive things in Aruba! Thanks to you. Only by drinking Aqua48!
    https://www.facebook.com/Aqua48-1717659888462721/
    Maybe this answers your question.

CK1
    I have emailed Aqua48 (email provided at their FB) and asked for more detailed information regarding the charities. I will post their response as soon as I receive it.

CK1
    As I was born in Europe and lived and traveled their half of my life, I'm used to paying for water. For me, it would not be a big deal paying just one Florin or one Dollar for a glass of water in Aruba.

When I was there during my vacations, I was actually pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to pay for my water which I always ordered with my meals.

I also remember, being the first time in the USA and I had ordered a snack and coffee, the waitress brought a glass of ice water. I immediately "protested" and said, I didn't order that (assuming I had to pay for it). To my surprise, she said it was free.

I guess it's a bit of a cultural thing.

Maybe this answers your question.
    I saw the discrepancy from your earlier post that quoted the florin price. Then I read that some folks here were charged a USD and wondered if the restaurants were using this opportunity to make a little extra off the charity.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I saw the discrepancy from your earlier post that quoted the florin price. Then I read that some folks here were charged a USD and wondered if the restaurants were using this opportunity to make a little extra off the charity.
    I don't know. I hope they are still honest.

My first thought was: as many tourists struggle with the Florin, they just will add one Dollar. As the website states "a minimum of one Florin".

Luckily from that list none of my fav/regs are on there...

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    As I was born in Europe and lived and traveled their half of my life, I'm used to paying for water. For me, it would not be a big deal paying just one Florin or one Dollar for a glass of water in Aruba.

When I was there during my vacations, I was actually pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to pay for my water which I always ordered with my meals.

I also remember, being the first time in the USA and I had ordered a snack and coffee, the waitress brought a glass of ice water. I immediately "protested" and said, I didn't order that (assuming I had to pay for it). To my surprise, she said it was free.

I guess it's a bit of a cultural thing.
    Yes, travel can widen your perspective. We were in Paris(and London) in the 1990s and a friend we were with at lunch was drinking iced tea. He had 4 glasses and was getting a 5th when he found out there were NO free refills like here. It was $4.50 a glass. At least you could get ice for your drinks there. London its nearly impossible to get ice with a drink.

CK1
    Today I called the number on the Aqua48 FB and spoke to a very nice gentleman. Two things which stood out:

1. It is not a scam.

2. Donating to the good cause/charities is voluntarily. If a customer does not want to participate, he/she does not have to pay for the water. If a customer wants to make a little donation, they will have their water served in the Aqua48 water glass.

There might be a press release soon.

As this initiative is still quite new, they are still working on the details. Many restaurants are participating and will receive the Aqua48 glasses and the little displays.

This initiative is meant to support the elderly and disables as they are in desperate need of furniture and wheelchairs. And to help the animals in need.

As soon as I get more information, I will post it here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast