Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Remember the selling water of in restaurants?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Interestingly I received a survey from aqau48 on FB
    I took it
    My personal opinion is I will not pay for water in a restaurant. I feel that $$$ is going to be uncontrolled and pocketed by wrong people.
    I would much rather throw my florins in a container at the end of my trip than pay $ for water. I rather pick my own causes than the ones they have picked.

just my opinion here

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Today I called the number on the Aqua48 FB and spoke to a very nice gentleman. Two things which stood out:

1. It is not a scam.

2. Donating to the good cause/charities is voluntarily. If a customer does not want to participate, he/she does not have to pay for the water. If a customer wants to make a little donation, they will have their water served in the Aqua48 water glass.

There might be a press release soon.

As this initiative is still quite new, they are still working on the details. Many restaurants are participating and will receive the Aqua48 glasses and the little displays.

This initiative is meant to support the elderly and disables as they are in desperate need of furniture and wheelchairs. And to help the animals in need.

As soon as I get more information, I will post it here.

Diario article dated 30 September 2015:
    http://www.diario.aw/2015/09/aqua48-...50-restaurant/

Is the ice free? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    Is the ice free? LOL
    yes. But you have to rent the glass

CK1
    I never received an email back (I contacted them twice) but today, there is an article in Amigoe (in Dutch) and an update on their FB (in Papiamento).

Here is a google translation from the Amigoe article:

3750 florins of Aqua48 Saba

Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 14:48

ORANJESTAD - Drinking water for charity, that's the idea behind Aqua48. This morning was the first charity, the Foundation General Elderly Care Aruba (Saba), handed over a check worth 3,750 florins. Saba will purchase rocking chairs, chairs that have a positive impact on the welfare of the elderly.

Aqua48 (pronounced Aqua For Aid) began in October 2015. Several restaurants such as Barney's, The Old Cunucu House and Carambola, participate in the project. Customers in those restaurants that buy water, can choose from free drinking water or Aqua48. One third of the proceeds of Aqua48 goes to charitable causes, says director Edwin Hekman of Aqua48. The rest is to cover the operational costs of organizing and participating restaurants. WEB financial sponsors and promotional, CEDE Aruba helps with the practical distribution of funds.

Paying not common

Hekman says that starting Aqua48 was not easy. While buying this water serves a good purpose, it is not common in the Aruban hospitality industry to pay for drinking water. Still, more and more restaurants offer the water product in their range, currently ten, and Hekman expected that this number will increase. The catering staff are more motivated to offer this water. Restaurants and brands that consumers react positively when they hear that paying for water is based charity.

Next charity

That Saba received a first donation was decided by an allocation committee. It includes representatives of WEB, CEDE and catering. They chose the donation requests for the application of the elderly. Orphanage Imeldahof's is the next charity to receive a donation of Aqua48. It is envisaged that the organization makes a donation each quarter. That could be four categories: children / teenagers, the elderly, people with disabilities and environment / animals. Imeldahof has submitted a request for an educational project and planting, Aqua48 hopes to hand over a significant amount in April.

http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/222791-3...ua48-naar-saba

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    they need two thirds to cover operational costs for participating restaurants??????? Sounds like the restaurants are making more than the charity.

CK1
    I thought the same, Gaby. Only one third for the charities? That's disappointing. I wished the charity would at least get 80% or 90% as those glasses has to be provided. Everything else should be voluntarily, IMO.

It seems to me, the other two thirds are split between the restaurants and Edwin Hekman, the director of Aqua48.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Exactly, CK1. The restaurants shouldn't get a kick back. The glasses should be paid for and that should be it for the costs. They want the tourists to give to their charities but the restaurants won't do it for free. Not getting a dime from me. Besides Grace, the only thing I've donated was for the animal rescue in Aruba.

CK1
    I agree, Gaby. As only one third goes to the charities, I would rather donate to them directly where they get 100%! I donated to Grace as well and to the animals of Aruba.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345