Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Reserving With A Credit Card

Reserving With A Credit Card

A lot of restaurants around the world have started asking for credit cards when reserving tables - and charging a "no-show" fee when people bail at the last minute (all have generous cancellation policies in my experience). I was hesitant at first but then remembered that we've only ever missed a reservation once.

So my question: would you be willing to reserve your table with a credit card in Aruba?

I was saddened to see that two seats were empty at "The Kitchen Table" the other night... and it was a "no show". Given that there are only sixteen seats in the place, I thought it might be the right model for restaurants like "TKT, "2 Fools" and "Carte Blanche" where there are no walk-ins and limited seating. I know "2 Fools" does have a "we'll call you if somebody bails" list that they maintain but you have to be willing to head over with a moment of notice (which we've done).

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We have found RESERVING with a credit card almost a norm now. Just did one last night for Pinchos. Also found it necessary to do s large party with too. The trick is remembering where and when you made them to CANCEL if you don't go.
    I feel like it's that way now so THEY don't have to confirm with you.

Aruba since 1979
    great question.....my answer is maybe.

some of the restaurant reservation sites are not secure, so that would make me say "no"

however, if the site is secure, then sure, we'd probably do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    A lot of restaurants around the world have started asking for credit cards when reserving tables - and charging a "no-show" fee when people bail at the last minute (all have generous cancellation policies in my experience). I was hesitant at first but then remembered that we've only ever missed a reservation once.

So my question: would you be willing to reserve your table with a credit card in Aruba?

I was saddened to see that two seats were empty at "The Kitchen Table" the other night... and it was a "no show". Given that there are only sixteen seats in the place, I thought it might be the right model for restaurants like "TKT, "2 Fools" and "Carte Blanche" where there are no walk-ins and limited seating. I know "2 Fools" does have a "we'll call you if somebody bails" list that they maintain but you have to be willing to head over with a moment of notice (which we've done).

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    We have found RESERVING with a credit card almost a norm now. Just did one last night for Pinchos. Also found it necessary to do s large party with too. The trick is remembering where and when you made them to CANCEL if you don't go.
    I feel like it's that way now so THEY don't have to confirm with you.
    Good point - I'd never thought of that... I'd love to get out of having to confirm that we're going to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    great question.....my answer is maybe.

some of the restaurant reservation sites are not secure, so that would make me say "no"

however, if the site is secure, then sure, we'd probably do it.
    Another good point. Hmmm. I suspect Facebook would make a killing if they offered a centralized secure payment integration program.

I think for restaurants like White Modern, 2 Fools, and Carte Blanche, with limited seating each night, that would be acceptable. For them just 2 people cuts into their revenue by quite a chunk. Plus they have loyal customers wanting to return and most nights there is a waiting list I would guess. Somewhere where walk ins are a regular occurrence, I would be less likely to leave my cc for a reservation and just take my chances on waiting for a table.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 10-23-2015 at 09:00 AM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We call all restaurants from home and make our reservations
    That's when we've given our credit card numbers
    our spread sheet( yes, it's quite detailed) has whom Rob spoke with etc

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post

Yes, we would not (and have not) had a problem reserving with a credit card in Aruba (when asked) and also reserving with a credit card in the U.S. and other countries when asked for it. Restaurants, unfortunately, put up with too many "no shows" which equates to lost revenue. I have no problem with them trying to protect their livelihood/bottom line.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

I get the whole no show thing and suppose restaurants need to do something. That said I would NOT give my credit card number. Maybe I'm a little bit skittish right now as someone stole my information a few weeks ago. I was fortunate as the credit monitoring company caught it, denied the charge and called me. It's been very inconvenient. So I would take my chances as a walk in

I agree with Tracey - the walk-in style restaurants with large capacity shouldn't demand credit cards (unless you absolutely want your table reserved and they should also give the extra benefit of picking the specific table if you ante up your credit card ... "by the water"... "away from Real Housewives tables"...).

But for the limited seating venues, I'd have no problem ponying up the cc - we commit!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast