Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dom

Restaurant Food Prices

I arrived in Aruba on Thursday for a 15 day stay. Although I do expect prices to increase a bit from year to year, this year I was supprised by the size of the increase at the restaurants we have visited so far. First night we went for ribs at Tony Romas. Around $30 for a rack of ribs. I seem to remember them being around $25 on previous years. Second night The French Steakhouse. The Ambassador special is now $34.95. Last Year it was $32.95 and the previous year $29.95. Last night was Sole Mare. Chicken dish about $28 and around $21 for pasta. I do not remember what we paid here last year, but I remember it as being much more reasonable.

In looking at some of the menus in the booklets, it looks like most places have had significant increases since last year. For example, I seem to remember MJ's catch of the day being around $24, but now it is listed at around $28. One of the few places that I have seen that does not appear to have increased prices too much is the Buccaneer. Catch of the day still around $16.

With the economy the way it is, increasing prices is not the thing to do. If prices keep escalating this way, I may have to end by string of coming to Aruba for 33 years in a row. I just hope I do not run out of money before the end of the trip. Where will it alll end?
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Garlic shrimp at Marina Pirata went up about $3. I can live with that kind of increase, given present circumstances, as long as the food is good, which it was excellent!

Banned
    Unfortunately, it will all end in a dramatic drop in tourism due to the U.S. consumer being "all tapped out" and unable to afford such price increases. Alas, the new fad of "staycations".

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I arrived in Aruba on Thursday for a 15 day stay. Although I do expect prices to increase a bit from year to year, this year I was supprised by the size of the increase at the restaurants we have visited so far. First night we went for ribs at Tony Romas. Around $30 for a rack of ribs. I seem to remember them being around $25 on previous years. Second night The French Steakhouse. The Ambassador special is now $34.95. Last Year it was $32.95 and the previous year $29.95. Last night was Sole Mare. Chicken dish about $28 and around $21 for pasta. I do not remember what we paid here last year, but I remember it as being much more reasonable.

In looking at some of the menus in the booklets, it looks like most places have had significant increases since last year. For example, I seem to remember MJ's catch of the day being around $24, but now it is listed at around $28. One of the few places that I have seen that does not appear to have increased prices too much is the Buccaneer. Catch of the day still around $16.

With the economy the way it is, increasing prices is not the thing to do. If prices keep escalating this way, I may have to end by string of coming to Aruba for 33 years in a row. I just hope I do not run out of money before the end of the trip. Where will it alll end?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    In regards to restaurant and pricing...I guess we'll just have to "pick our spots" on whom we visit.

It has to be hard for the Arubans also.

It is hard to expect for prices NOT to go up. We can all see what the US economy is doing, it is only going to multiply there.

I am going on vacation and I am going to have a good time. If we have to either do something less there or "at home" to save some extra money that is what we are going to do.

If US tourism drops off to Aruba, the entire Island will be hurt. It would be nice to see the large chains there (resorts and such), drop their prices to offset the increases that the locals must put upon the tourists. I think that would be a fair thing to do, that way the tourists will not be out any more money.

But the biggest companies who probably can afford to decrease their prices, will only increase them just because they can. They remind me of the damn oil companies!!!!!!

Ok enough of my rant, don't get me really started!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Aruba since 1979
    My 2 cents
    FWIW
    the restaurants should reduce the prices a bit as well as their portion size.
    some of the entrees are priced high and some of those portions are monstrous.
    Example: Madam Janettes portions are monstrous. My husband and i always bring stuff back (in a doggie bag hahaha) but the grouper almondine never tastes great the next day. I would rather pay less and not have such a huge piece of fish. OR i would rather each of us have a salad and then split a grouper or beef dinner..............not wild about spending the splitting surcharge.

if the prices/portions are proportionate then maybe we'd be happier.
    ........or not?
    andrea

MANY, many restaurants are offering "specials". Imo, more so than previously. Just see any issue of Aruba Today for an idea of what is being offered.

There was one restaurant we drove by probably 4 or 5 times during dinner hours and they never had more than 3 cars. Granted people do travel by taxi, but the busiest restaurant we visited was Marina Pirata which had mostly locals and probably some of the fairest prices.

Supply and demand, there will be survival of the fittest. Unfortunately in a poor economy, the mediocre establishments may not survive.

That's one of the reasons I like WW. Their prices were better than most of the other restaurants we tried and the food was the best I've had anywhere.

Dom
    A correction to my previous post. Although the add for the Buccaneer had the fish of the day listed as $16 (same as last year), when I ate there last night the actual price was $18 (more than 12% increase). However, this is still somewhat reasonable. By the way, the catch of the day was outstanding last night.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    A correction to my previous post. Although the add for the Buccaneer had the fish of the day listed as $16 (same as last year), when I ate there last night the actual price was $18 (more than 12% increase). However, this is still somewhat reasonable. By the way, the catch of the day was outstanding last night.
    Was it barracuda? I LOVE the barracuda there when it's the catch of the day!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast