Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By AndyM
  • 2 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Restaurant practices

Question Restaurant practices

This will be our first trip to Aruba and I have some fairly basic questions. As I have studied some restaurant reviews and menus, the most basic information I need is; Are the posted menu prices in Aruban dollars or what currency and is the service charge automatically added in lieu of tipping or is it a surcharge?

Aruba since 1979
    Some restaurants have a posted service charge. If the servce is excellent you can add more. No obligation to do so though. Some have no service charge and it is up to u to tip appropriately as here in the USA. Most restaurants post their prices in US dollars and some in arubas florins as well. Rarely are they only in florins.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkelly View Post
    This will be our first trip to Aruba and I have some fairly basic questions. As I have studied some restaurant reviews and menus, the most basic information I need is; Are the posted menu prices in Aruban dollars or what currency and is the service charge automatically added in lieu of tipping or is it a surcharge?

Servers will tell you they don't get any of the service charge. I don't believe that. If a restaurant adds a 15% service charge, I then decide to add to that to make it 20% if the service was very good. I feel no obligation to do more than that.

If we do decide to give extra to our server, we tip them DIRECTLY in CASH to ensure the money is going into THEIR pocket.

I have read in some other posts that locals tip lightly or not at all when dining in local establishments (outside the tourist beat). I would like to enjoy a mixture of restaurants. Is it true that tipping is not customary (or nominal) for locals?

Aruba since 1979
    it is untrue
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkelly View Post
    I have read in some other posts that locals tip lightly or not at all when dining in local establishments (outside the tourist beat). I would like to enjoy a mixture of restaurants. Is it true that tipping is not customary (or nominal) for locals?