Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Restaurant at Tierra Del Sol

Aruba since 1979

The Restaurant at Tierra Del Sol

To begin with we have been trying to get here for a long time and it is a lovely place.

We we had reservations and were seated outside and the view and breeze were terrific

We both ordered from the Eat Local special
    menu.
    I have photos but cannot get them to load. I may forward them to Jacki tomorrow and see if she can find t the time to add them in to this posting.

We each had an appetizer of shrimp and beef and greens that was excellent.
    My entree was beef tenderloin and it was phenomenal. Paul’s entree was advertised as pan fried grouper with garlic shrimp. He has been talking about the grouper now for weeks. Well, we are unsure what kind of fish it was but it was not grouper. Paul asked the server and she explained it was “Aruban grouper but not real grouper”. This fish was strong tasting like swordfish and almost the same texture. She told us the name of the fish but it was something foreign sounding. Paul pushed it around on his plate ate some and agreed he did not like it and was convinced it might have been a swordfish like fish.

The waitstaff brought Paul a nice dessert with a beautiful sparkler that was entertaining to the others around us.

I wish that it was i that was disappointed in my meal. I felt badly as it was his special meal for his birthday.

The place is terrific and beautiful and and I am sure that we will go there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    To begin with we have been trying to get here for a long time and it is a lovely place.

We we had reservations and were seated outside and the view and breeze were terrific

We both ordered from the Eat Local special
    menu.
    I have photos but cannot get them to load. I may forward them to Jacki tomorrow and see if she can find t the time to add them in to this posting.

We each had an appetizer of shrimp and beef and greens that was excellent.
    My entree was beef tenderloin and it was phenomenal. Paul’s entree was advertised as pan fried grouper with garlic shrimp. He has been talking about the grouper now for weeks. Well, we are unsure what kind of fish it was but it was not grouper. Paul asked the server and she explained it was “Aruban grouper but not real grouper”. This fish was strong tasting like swordfish and almost the same texture. She told us the name of the fish but it was something foreign sounding. Paul pushed it around on his plate ate some and agreed he did not like it and was convinced it might have been a swordfish like fish.

The waitstaff brought Paul a nice dessert with a beautiful sparkler that was entertaining to the others around us.

I wish that it was i that was disappointed in my meal. I felt badly as it was his special meal for his birthday.

The place is terrific and beautiful and and I am sure that we will go there again.
    Hello Andrea.
    We like to go to this restaurant.
    Very nice place, attentive service and good food.
    As of grouper, I am not sure if it's true but many local people saying that most of the restaurants using frozen tilapia fillet and presenting as grouper. Now, We are trying not to order grouper dishes. Buying a fresh fish from local fisherman or Zeerover's
    Once we broth form NYC a couple of grouper steaks and invited our local friends.
    They said that never eat grouper like this before.
    Please enjoy your vacation and happy belated birthday to Paul
    Last edited by GETA62; 11-01-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    If some restaurants are serving this and passing it off as grouper, then we will not be ordering grouper anywhere.
    In spite of this "grouper", I really like this restaurant and their entrees and presentations are terrific.

We have always loved grouper and at our Publix market in Tampa bay occasionally has fresh filets and they are large, thick, flaky when cooked and very mild.
    It often is in the $20 lb range.
    IMO tilapia and swai, another cheap filet are poor substitutes.

per the last night menu it lists this:
    djampow filet..........pan fried aruban grouper.

i am going to try to send Jacki photos for her to post.

Beef: The Restaurant at Tierra Del Sol-beef.jpg "Grouper":The Restaurant at Tierra Del Sol-grouper.jpg Eat Local Menu:The Restaurant at Tierra Del Sol-restaurant-menu.jpg
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks Jacki

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    If some restaurants are serving this and passing it off as grouper, then we will not be ordering grouper anywhere.
    In spite of this "grouper", I really like this restaurant and their entrees and presentations are terrific.

We have always loved grouper and at our Publix market in Tampa bay occasionally has fresh filets and they are large, thick, flaky when cooked and very mild.
    It often is in the $20 lb range.
    IMO tilapia and swai, another cheap filet are poor substitutes.

per the last night menu it lists this:
    djampow filet..........pan fried aruban grouper.

i am going to try to send Jacki photos for her to post.
    This is a djampow.
    The Restaurant at Tierra Del Sol-djampow.jpg

That looks like what we in the States call a Warsaw grouper. One of the larger members of the family behind the Jewfish/Goliath grouper. Small ones are probably ok, but if they're cutting chunks off a big one...no thanks. Big ones = not so tasty...

Never take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive!!

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    That looks too big to fit on my plate.

Where is Tierra Del Sol? Not sure if I ate there a long time ago.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    It's in Noord on route 2, close to the lighthouse.

Andrea, did you see that 3 story house, closest to the pool? WOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Where is Tierra Del Sol? Not sure if I ate there a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast