Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sagman17

Thread: Restaurants without service charges

Restaurants without service charges

We are trying to accumulate a list of restaurants that do not impose a service charge. Katherine and I really do not like the SC philosophy and try to avoid restaurants that impose them.

Anyone know a thread or list that has been started?

If not, I know of the following;
    Dushi bagel/ burgers and burgers
    ZEEROVER ( in savaneta so I doubt anything outside palm/ eagle area applies)
    Smokey Joes and the iguanas
    Yemanja
    Ellioti's
    Pizza bobs
    The old fisherman
    Charlie's bar ( in SN so same as ZEEROVER)
    Linda's pancakes

Ralph

Aruba since 1979
    your list.....Dushi bagel/ burgers and burgers
    Yemanja
    Ellioti's
    Pizza bobs
    The old fisherman
    Linda's pancakes
    I add....
    Madam Janette
    Cooks
    Hung Paradis
    Amadeus
    B-55

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ralph View Post
    We are trying to accumulate a list of restaurants that do not impose a service charge. Katherine and I really do not like the SC philosophy and try to avoid restaurants that impose them.

Anyone know a thread or list that has been started?

If not, I know of the following;
    Dushi bagel/ burgers and burgers
    Yemanja
    Ellioti's
    Pizza bobs
    The old fisherman
    Linda's pancakes

Ralph
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-14-2012 at 10:53 PM.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    casa tua, que pasa, soenchis, cubas cooking, cilos, the paddock, texas de brazil to name a few..i agree with you..my wife and i are thinking about cutting out the restaurants that charge a service charge..if the service stinks what do you do? ask them to remove it..a big hassle..for a long time i've been a fan of el gaucho but this last trip the service was horendous..didn't see the waiter after he took the order until he brought our bill..he didn't even bring our side salads..we had to ask bus girl to get them..they keep raising their prices every time we go(every 6 months) and the service is getting worse and worse..this last time besides the strolling guitarists they now have a guy going around taking pictures for a price..how cheesy..the only reason i didn't ask them to remove tip was because they comped us a round of drinks because we complained..i'm sorry but horrible service deserves less of a tip..my wife and i will tip for great service..usually average 20% but haved tipped as much as 50% when the service was extraordinary..and i am sick and tired of hearing that the service charge goes to everybody..i'm not paying 15% and then another 20% for lousy service..so i agree with you and i think the only answer is to cut out the restaurants that charge a service charge..there are too many great restaurants that don't charge one..
    Last edited by sagman17; 04-16-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    scott and tricia

It's sad and troubling because some restaurants my family patronize and love use the SC but the service level has clearly changed. There is also that dreadful and guilty feeling when the check comes and you fee compelled to add on an additional tip.....should it be 5%?, 10%? More? Less? None?

Recently we adopted a policy of 5% for good service and intervals up but I always feel Wronged by the SC and have felt uneasy when i see the server open the check folder and look.

I am not sure what percent of the SC the server actually gets and how it is distributed but in my heart I know the system is not fair to the employee and the consumer. We too are taking a stand against the SC and will do our best to avoid restaurants that impose them.
    Ralph

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    tomato charlie's