Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By coldsteel337

Thread: Reviews from our March 2014 visit

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars

Reviews from our March 2014 visit

We were on the island from March 8 thru March 22. We had one lunch and a dinner at the Light House. Both times the food was excellent and the service spot on. We also had afternoon cocktails twice. The first time we had an capable bartender and the second time a different person was behind the bar and it cost us our anticipated good time and his good tip. We "found" a Dutch bar/BBQ place called Fermins on 2A in Noord. Great ribs and chicken and very cold Polar beer. I got take out food four times from there. We just kept going back. This place is maybe 2 1/2 miles from the Riu. The prices are much less than the more touristy places. We went to Sole Mare one night and were disappointed. I did not expect my Mothers lasagna but a frozen dinner from Lings would have better. The Eggplant parm was better, not nothing to rave about. At least the deserts were good. We tried the Petite Cafe for the first time and really had a great meal. Def will go back there. Still really like Linda's and the Dutch Pancake House at the Seaport. We went to the new place that was built within the past two years on the road/beach next to the Renaissance suites. I was surprised that there Pina Coladas were $$9.00and not very good! We saw a table of 10 Dutch people eating and enjoying their meal. We did not eat there. Had One meal of Ribs at Sweet Peppers at CPV. The food was very good with attentive service. We stay at CPV and found that the bar needed a better/more attentive bartender. LaGranja is located about 4 miles past the airport, on the right. Look for a large " SEAFOOD" sign painted on the building as seen from the road. We have been going here for 10 years or so and it never disappoints. Great ribs and seafood dishes. The seafood is Peruvian. The Rotisserie chicken is amazing. The prices are also very low, probably because you will be the only tourist in there. Try the fried Yuca. One of the few places where it helps to speak Spanish. We also had decent Chinese food at Victoria, next to where the Thai place used to be. i guess that Thai food/sports bar theme did not work out. lastly, I hit the Duncan Donuts at the Taki Flip circle a half dozen times just after 6 AM. The woman in there was always open on time, cheerful and efficient. I cannot say the same for the DD at the seaport where it took 2 people 20 minutes to serve 5 people at lunch time.

Aruba since 1979
    thank you so much for your reviews!

sorry to hear that Sole Mare was disappointing and it was great to read reviews of the lighthouse restaurant la trattoria el faro blanco, well that was wonderful to hear!
    thank you so much for taking the time to write your reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    We were on the island from March 8 thru March 22. We had one lunch and a dinner at the Light House. Both times the food was excellent and the service spot on. We also had afternoon cocktails twice. The first time we had an capable bartender and the second time a different person was behind the bar and it cost us our anticipated good time and his good tip. We "found" a Dutch bar/BBQ place called Fermins on 2A in Noord. Great ribs and chicken and very cold Polar beer. I got take out food four times from there. We just kept going back. This place is maybe 2 1/2 miles from the Riu. The prices are much less than the more touristy places. We went to Sole Mare one night and were disappointed. I did not expect my Mothers lasagna but a frozen dinner from Lings would have better. The Eggplant parm was better, not nothing to rave about. At least the deserts were good. We tried the Petite Cafe for the first time and really had a great meal. Def will go back there. Still really like Linda's and the Dutch Pancake House at the Seaport. We went to the new place that was built within the past two years on the road/beach next to the Renaissance suites. I was surprised that there Pina Coladas were $$9.00and not very good! We saw a table of 10 Dutch people eating and enjoying their meal. We did not eat there. Had One meal of Ribs at Sweet Peppers at CPV. The food was very good with attentive service. We stay at CPV and found that the bar needed a better/more attentive bartender. LaGranja is located about 4 miles past the airport, on the right. Look for a large " SEAFOOD" sign painted on the building as seen from the road. We have been going here for 10 years or so and it never disappoints. Great ribs and seafood dishes. The seafood is Peruvian. The Rotisserie chicken is amazing. The prices are also very low, probably because you will be the only tourist in there. Try the fried Yuca. One of the few places where it helps to speak Spanish. We also had decent Chinese food at Victoria, next to where the Thai place used to be. i guess that Thai food/sports bar theme did not work out. lastly, I hit the Duncan Donuts at the Taki Flip circle a half dozen times just after 6 AM. The woman in there was always open on time, cheerful and efficient. I cannot say the same for the DD at the seaport where it took 2 people 20 minutes to serve 5 people at lunch time.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-24-2014 at 09:35 PM.

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    I forgot to mention that we ate at the Driftwood one night and four of us each had the 3 course $26.95 meal. Three had fish and one had the steak. The meal was great and I see they have dropped the service charge. The only glitch was that we ordered a $20 bottle of wine and got a $27 bottle. Not a big deal money wise but I will really take a hard look next time. I was not drinking the wine and so did not pay attention. I think they would have cut me a "deal" if I protested enough but i did not feel like bothering at the time.

Enjoyed your report but also sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Sole Mare. When we went we really enjoyed it. I had veal parm that was nicely prepared. I'm interested in Fermins as my husband loves ribs and this is the first we have heard of it. So, I'll be adding it to our to go list. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the report. Not surprised to hear about Sawasdee. One of our favorite "take it easy night" meals, when I walked in last year I knew it would only be a matter of time. The "Sports Bar"??? theme wasn't really that at all. The Thai food was still very good, but they tried to fix something that wasn't broke, and ruined all of the Asian atmosphere. Sad, it was very good food and a nice change of pace...

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteel337 View Post
    I forgot to mention that we ate at the Driftwood one night and four of us each had the 3 course $26.95 meal. Three had fish and one had the steak. The meal was great and I see they have dropped the service charge. The only glitch was that we ordered a $20 bottle of wine and got a $27 bottle. Not a big deal money wise but I will really take a hard look next time. I was not drinking the wine and so did not pay attention. I think they would have cut me a "deal" if I protested enough but i did not feel like bothering at the time.
    Driftwood is my favorite seafood place for fresh catch of the day - WAHOO!!!