Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Romantic Dining Spot

A few days ago, my wife and I checked out a brand new restaurant just down the beach from the Flying Fishbone. We met the chef in the morning, when we were out for a walk and he gave us a tour around. It is called The Old Man and the Sea and is literally a few dozen yards from FFB.

Last night we took a taste. My wife ordered one of the "small plates," beef tips with fried oysters. This was too exotic for me but she said it was "amazing." She wishes they would offer it as an entre. I had tostones de pollo, a wide slice of fried plantain with shredded chicken in a mild red sauce on top. Very, very good, and something different for me. The Reverend Gibson enjoyed a penne pasta with shrimp, and his wife, the lovely Gloria, dined on the lamb. All dishes were good and prices were lower than the neighboring famous restaurant.

They're not officially open yet, as they work out a few last kinks. The owner told us she expects to be open for regular business on 19 August. I hope so for many reasons: 1) The FFB needs some competition, 2) I can walk there in a few minutes and have my Jack/Sodas, 3) The setting is awesome, 4) The food is good and the chef a friendly, accessible guy.

Check out my blog for daytime photos. After a few evenings I'll put up more taken in the evening.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

The setting reminds me of the way the Flying Fishbone used to be about 10 years ago - uncrowded. Now they have too many tables and they're so close together that I don't feel like I'm having a romantic, private dinner. We've been going to Passions now instead which is much more enjoyable (and closer to our hotel.)

But we will definitely give this new place a try in Sept! Thanks for posting info about it!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Amy,

You are correct and the Right Reverend Gibson said the same thing a la FFB 10 years ago. It is a trek for people at the hotels. However, I'm hoping the quality remains high so that it is a worthwhile venture.

Hope to update those photos ASAP so that you get the "romance" of the place. Maybe tonight, if Mrs. 44 is agreeable and atmospheric conditions are conducive.

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have any idea what their feeling on children dining is? I know FF would never turn kids away, but would prefer not to have children there.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

please do try to post some evening pictures. I would love to try it out! by the way, are they taking reservations?

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Amy,

You are correct and the Right Reverend Gibson said the same thing a la FFB 10 years ago. It is a trek for people at the hotels. However, I'm hoping the quality remains high so that it is a worthwhile venture.

Hope to update those photos ASAP so that you get the "romance" of the place. Maybe tonight, if Mrs. 44 is agreeable and atmospheric conditions are conducive.
    We don't really mind the drive to Savaneta as long as it's worth our while. And sadly, FFB has lost it's "romance" for us so we don't bother to go anymore since Passions has opened (see photo of Passions in my sig. below.) But this new place definitely looks to be right up our alley.

p.s. It's always best to do things that the Mrs. is agreeable to (just ask my husband!)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Dh has already asked me if someone has a menu?

I'll stop over tonight, it's only across the street from my house, and get a photo of the menu and some evening shots, weather permitting.

As far as Children, the Reverend Gibson has his lad there, the 6 month old Gibsonito, and no one said anything but Gibsonito sleeps fast and made no fuss.

Reservations, not sure. Will investigate further.

PS: Amy,
    Mrs. 44 has been very agreeable since relocating to Aruba for 6 months a year. I have 27 get out of jail free passes, which may take me a while to use up.

Eagle Beach and love venturing out throughout the whole island

Old Man and the Sea AND Passions

are there websites to see these restuarants would to try both
    arubadebbi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast