Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Sadly, what has happened to Old Man and the Sea

I did a report on this site about my visit to OMATS in December Randi's trip report. Even after that I still did not get a response from Jonathan (owner or manager, not sure which). Today I posted, what I believe to be a fair and accurate assessment of our visit to OMATS on restaurantsaruba.com http://restaurantsaruba.com/view_rev...ST_ID=202#7005.

I love this place, or should I say, I love this place as it was! The surroundings are the most beautiful on the island. I know many of you love Passions but (IMO) it really doesn't hold a candle in atmosphere to this place. I say that only because Passions is a beach that must be transformed into a restaurant at night. OMATS is ONLY a restaurant and the setting is permanent and so gorgeous. This is why I am sick about what has happened to the food and service.

I had heard many negative reviews prior to our December visit but I didn't want to believe that this restaurant had fallen. Sadly, it has. Does anyone know what happened to the wonderful staff that worked there last year? The manager was so friendly and he told us that he worked at the Hyatt before. He came around and talked to the people and made sure everything was ok. He also made sure everyone was happy with their seating, service, food, etc. No one did this in December. As a matter of fact, they didn't even place us in the area that I requested. That dispite the fact I made the reservation for 9 people in July for December. Upon arrival we were one of the first in the restaurant and the table was already set up. I was very clear that I wanted a table by the water.

Is anyone listening at this place??? This restaurant is far by car and expensive by taxi, not to mention one of the pricer restaurants. It is important that Aruba continue to have good, beautiful and diverse restaurants. I don't want this place to close but I want it to get better/back to what it was....

Anyone have any comments?
    Last edited by Randi; 01-18-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Sorry to hear about your experience.

You are correct about the setting. Unfortunately for the price, even on an "off" night, it does not justify mediocre food and poor service.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Randi you are not the only one I have heard complain. I think my niece had a far worse time than you...seating, meal, serivce, where all sub-par. Not for nothing, its a freaking 60.00 cab ride there...
    We will not be returning to this restaurant until I hear some great reports. I don't intend to spend 300+ on a meal that stinks. I shall also change my avatar and remove the name of the place.....
    OMATS...heed the warning from this site.
    Last edited by cindyo; 01-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    i forwarded the link of this thread to the owner of OMATS.
    he certainly should know what is transpiring.
    maybe there will be a response.

andrea

Honestly Andrea, I don't think he cares or he would have gotten back to me as well as a few others that I heard from that he didn't get back to, if he was really concerned about his business.

It shouldn't have to take this kind of thread to make someone answer a personal email that someone on their vacation took the time to write.

My goal is really to "wake up" the restaurant as they have such a good thing going there and I don't want it to be gone!
    Last edited by Randi; 01-18-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Yeah I wanted to try it this year but due to all the negatives..I have opted for Marandi's

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I don't want it to be gone!

Randi....I am certain that you gave the restaurant every opportunity to make it right.

I don't want it gone either, but I am not sure I would risk going there again. When the ride is long and I am paying top dollar, I expect the best.....

It's unfortunate....the setting is the best on the island.

It is hard to get a good reputation, but easy to lose one. Once gone, a reputation is almost impossible to get back.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

I'm so disapointed to hear about this!!! I had sent them an email last week for our reservation in March and still do not have an answer... maybe I will have to book at Mirandi... I too had a wonderful experience there last year, the food, service, music, the atmosphere could not of ask for better...and this year we were to take our children that have not been to the island now for 6 years.... Was looking forward to share our experience with them!!

Aruba since 1979

Omats

well then, mea culpa randi. in your paragraph you posted "is anyone listening at this place???" by that question being asked by you, i had ASSSuMEd you wanted the situation rectified. When there are scathing restaurant reviews, torpedoing the restaurants, (again i assume) that folks wants some communication or rectifying. Therefore i wrote to the restaurant. Obviously i am wrong and the word ASSUME has come back to bite me in the butt.
    So, i wrote back to the restaurant and told them i should have minded my own business.
    andrea.

[QUOTE=Randi;] Is anyone listening at this place??? This restaurant is far by car and expensive by taxi, not to mention one of the pricer restaurants. It is important that Aruba continue to have good, beautiful and diverse restaurants. I don't want this place to close but I want it to get better/back to what it was....
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Honestly Andrea, I don't think he cares or he would have gotten back to me as well as a few others that I heard from that he didn't get back to, if he was really concerned about his business.

It shouldn't have to take this kind of thread to make someone answer a personal email that someone on their vacation took the time to write.

My goal is really to "wake up" the restaurant as they have such a good thing going there and I don't want it to be gone!

Andrea,
    I think it was good that you alerted them but my comments were that I am not sure if they really care! I am truly hoping that they do. My intent, as stated, is to wake them up to what people are saying about this beautiful place!!

If customers (and I am not the only one) take the time to respond to a manager about service and they ignore the customer, it does make you wonder if "someone is asleep at the switch"? They would have taken my email seriously as well as others.

So to that end, Andrea, it was very kind of you to alert the management of people's concerns, I am just saddened that it takes this kind of post to possibly make someone respond.

Ultimately, the best thing is for the management to hire some great staff in the kitchen and dealing with the public and restore this OUTSTANDING restaurant to its previous glorious beginning.

So, thank you!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast