Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Searching for the "local" flavor...

In less than a week, my wife and i will be spending our one year anniversary in aruba (bucuti resort). We also honeymoon'd there and had an amazing (well...duh) time. During our honeymoon, we dinned at some of the more popular spots (texas de brazil, flying fishbone to name a couple). this trip, we would love to find sample some of aruba's local fair... you know, the kind of joints Anthony Bourdain (no reservations) would love. places the"locals" love to eat. Does anyone recommend a place or two? We plan on asking some of those locals during the trip but i thought i would throw it out there on the board in case someone had found a gem.

thanks,
    dj

DJ,

If you want to do the Bourdain-type thing, please consult my Aruba Local Flavor category on my blog and generally surf through my blog.

My "local joints" for eating include, Casa Vieja for the Colombian platter called Bandeja Paisa, also The New Pueblito Paisa for their various dishes. The Sultan is a n Arab food place that's also very good. These meals are not more than $10-12 and will fill you to the gills.

You may or may not like the food or the flavor but the people are genuine, pleasant and offer plenty of character. Spanish skills are helpful but not an absolute necessity.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Also check out the thread here on Nos Cunucu
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f12/restaurant-question-28853/

Try the DRIFTWOOD--downtown--Many "locals" + great food.

DJ,

Another place is JoAnn Snack in Parkietenbos, also on my blog.

Nam Yong on Spanish Lagoon Weg. This place is a Chinese joint that does an awesome mussels in garlic sauce. Mrs. 44 loves that dish. There's a pool table and cold beer, too. Nothing but locals and expats for the most part. I need to do a post about them. Thing is, they don't speak much Spanish, but my Chinese friend says they're not speaking Chinese either, so we just point at the menu and hope for the best.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

The Kunukoo restuarant local at Ponton ,Golazo only lunch,Old Fisherman local seafood Gasparito Restuarant

thanks so much for all the responses! you guys are the best!

Favorite OFF THE BEATEN PATH-Non Touristy Restaurants

There was an article in Mustang Monthly (ford mag) about the Aruba Mustang Club a few months ago. I thought that was cool since I'm in the New Hampshire Mustang Club, so I talked my wife into trying to find the place this trip.
    Urataca Center in Santa Cruz is their headquarters, long story short with a Map, pretty easy to get to in a rental car (everything takes 20 minutes it seems on our happy little island).
    $14.00 USD got us one big bowl of french fries, 3 Balashi, 1 Bottled water and 2 big fat cheeseburgers. What a bargain!
    Now, while not fine dining, it was both a culinary and a cultural experience and that's why I'm listing it here.
    So, if you want or need a cheap lunch, here's your new place. And if your a car person, you'll like it for that too! Had a couple classic mustangs in the parking lot.

Thanks for the info! My husband and I are always looking for new things to do/see and I think he'd be interested in seeing the classic mustangs as well as having a good, cheap lunch!

I'm sure we'll get lost trying to find it but that's usually half the fun and it makes that first ice cold beer taste all the better!
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Wow that is a bargain, that is usually a $40 lunch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast