Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serrano Hams

Serrano Hams

After reading a recent post that mentioned the hams at Super Foods I started wondering about restaurants that serve it. I don't really recall seeing serano ham on any menus other than Casa Tua downtown. It would be nice to sit outside somewhere with some nice ham and manchego cheese. Maybe we'll just have to hit up Super Foods and bring some back to the room to enjoy out in the balcony.

Serrano is a Spanish prosciutto so finding it at Casa Tua is not surprising. It's probably fairly expensive. I don't remember ever seeing it at Lings.

Casa Tua was very accommodating. I happen to notice one of their dishes had the ham as an ingredient so I asked if it was possible to get slices of the ham and Manchebo for an appetizer. They said no problem and also brought out crostini to compliment it. I just thought since they had it at Super Foods maybe more of the restaurant would offer it. I don't mind the expense.

Aruba since 1979
    i am not a ham person......other than a spiral honeybaked ham for easter, i know noting about ham.............what is a serrano ham?

Serrano ham is similar to prosciutto but to me, is less salty. It comes from Spain where it's insanely popular and often served as tapas. I can't find it in the Boston area but have on occasion bought it online. I was surprised when I saw the photo of all the hams at Superfoods and figure it has to be less expensive than buying it in line. I love it with Manchego cheese and crusty bread.

I saw a Bizarre Foods episode where they showed the dozens of different types of salt cured hams from Spain. I had no idea there were so many.

I also live in the Boston area and have only seen prosciutto de Parma and San Danielle prosciutto.

I'll have to check out Super Foods in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am not a ham person......other than a spiral honeybaked ham for easter, i know noting about ham.............what is a serrano ham?
    We didn't know a thing about ham until we went on an excursion with a US ham-o-phile in La Coruna, Spain. At one point in the tour, we stopped for some traditional tapas and Tom, (our ham-guide), exclaimed, “Oh my god! It’s the King of Hams!” What?!? Uproariously laughter ensued. He thinks of ham the way people obsess over wine or caviar: always on the lookout for the nirvana of each product.

We knew there was a big difference between lunch meat ham and Italian prosciutto but we had no idea that the world of ham was so nuanced, garrulous and competitive: there are farms that feed pigs nothing but acorns and then age the ham 10+ years to create what’s called, “Black Foot Iberian”. It’s a whole cult for the literally ham-fisted.

We're definitely going to pay closer attention to the Hams of Aruba!

I've purchased the infamous Iberio ham (black acorn eating hogs) and it is delicious but still like the Jamon Serrano the best. Can't wait to get to Aruba and check out Super Foods. How far is it from the Radisson?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I've purchased the infamous Iberio ham (black acorn eating hogs) and it is delicious but still like the Jamon Serrano the best. Can't wait to get to Aruba and check out Super Foods. How far is it from the Radisson?
    About a five minute drive...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Radis...72!2d12.552211

Aruba since 1979
    ok so this stuff is "da bomb" of hams ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast