Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Service Charge at Restaurants

okay, so since reading that posts after mine....I can certainly understand sharing with the other individuals the wait staff works with......but the owners taking a cut of it is so wrong on so many levels.......even in Aruba they should be ashamed of themselves.......(off soapbox)
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    i found this interesting article about a restauranteur who eliminated tipping and added a flat 18% service charge and it was shared between the servers/wait staff and the cooks.
    it is interesting and maybe this is the way every place should be......in the usa, aruba and elsewhere.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/c...g_tipping.html

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i found this interesting article about a restauranteur who eliminated tipping and added a flat 18% service charge and it was shared between the servers/wait staff and the cooks.
    it is interesting and maybe this is the way every place should be......in the usa, aruba and elsewhere.
    www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2013/08/tipless_restaurants_the_linkery_s_owner_explains_w hy_abolishing_tipping.html

Excellent article! Thanks for posting.

Great article. Would have to say that though it may work on a small "local" scale worldwide or even nationwide would be really difficult for people to accept.

Despite—or maybe because of—all the documented damage caused by tip culture, plenty of people are deeply, emotionally invested in keeping tipping propped up. When we abolished tipping at the Linkery, we met a few of these people. We would periodically hear guests express anger about not being able to choose the amount of their tip.

I will use JC Penney's attempt at dropping their sale prices and reducing all items to an "every day" price. If you knew the principle behind it, it was a brilliant idea, but not normal for our society and thus not accepted.

Good article, thanks Andrea. I could accept it, especially if the tips went to the servers/cooks/staff. But I have an issue with the owners taking a cut, as the majority seem to do in Aruba.

That's why I love traveling to Europe - no issues on tipping since the staff is paid a decent wage and not expecting a tip. If the service was good you just round up and leave a couple of extra Euros. So easy there.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123