Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sick from sunset grille????

hi just wondering if anybody has gotten sick from eating at sunset grille?
    When me and the hubbs went there last time i had the tuna tartartin (sp?)
    and a glass of wine but about an hr later i was throwing up hubby was fine .. so we are returning in oct (cant wait!!!!) and im afarid to eat seafood being that i was sick the rest of the time we were there did anyone else ever have a problem with seafood from this island ??? (im almost sure its not the restuarant being that the hubbs didnt get siick

Tuna is one of dh's favorites and he has eaten it in various restaurants on the island and never had any issues.

Food poisoning occurs 12-24 hours after the "bad" or "turned" food is ingested. It's a misconception that one would get sick immediately or even an hour or two after eating. If you were illl that quickly, the cause if the illness is very likely something else. Perhaps something you ate the day before or a bug of sone sort. Heat, too much sun, rich food and alcohol are all things that are known to make me nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Tuna is one of dh's favorites and he has eaten it in various restaurants on the island and never had any issues.
    It's one of my favorites as well - usually always order ahi tuna when I see it on the menu as an appetizer or entree. Never had any problems either.

I also eat other fish while on the island, too, at most meals - wahoo, grouper, mahi-mahi and haven't had any problems there either.

I did get food poisoning in Aruba a few years ago and it was actually from a Dutch pea soup because cream based soups need to be cooled/heated properly during the cooking process (apparently this one was not.) I had a lovely trip to the Aruba hospital that year - but all's well that end's well.

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    Food poisoning occurs 12-24 hours after the "bad" or "turned" food is ingested. It's a misconception that one would get sick immediately or even an hour or two after eating.

Actually symptoms from food poisoning CAN begin within hours of eating contaminated food - or symptoms can start days later. See Mayo link below:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/foo...CTION=symptoms
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 08-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    after reading this post
    and reading amy's
    i googled sudden onset food poisoning and got a whole bunch of info.

it can happen real fast.........within an hour to about 72 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    Food poisoning occurs 12-24 hours after the "bad" or "turned" food is ingested. It's a misconception that one would get sick immediately or even an hour or two after eating. If you were illl that quickly, the cause if the illness is very likely something else. Perhaps something you ate the day before or a bug of sone sort. Heat, too much sun, rich food and alcohol are all things that are known to make me nauseous.

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    This past trip I thought I got food poisoning from grouper I ate at Marandi's (but my hubby got a different dish with grouper in it and he was fine). I started to feel sick about an hour after I ate and about two hours later I was vomiting. My stomach didn't feel better for 3-4 more days (although I thankfully did not continue to vomit). Once I was feeling better, my hubby started feeling ill and was sick with diarrhea (sorry for the tmi) for the next 10 days. I think it was a "bug" that we caught and not from the food. Thinking back, I remember not feeling so great earlier in the day before I even ate the fish. Other than that time, I've never had any issues with seafood in Aruba (8 trips in a row).

Quote Originally Posted by Lewny1 View Post
    This past trip I thought I got food poisoning from grouper I ate at Marandi's (but my hubby got a different dish with grouper in it and he was fine). I started to feel sick about an hour after I ate and about two hours later I was vomiting. My stomach didn't feel better for 3-4 more days (although I thankfully did not continue to vomit). Once I was feeling better, my hubby started feeling ill and was sick with diarrhea (sorry for the tmi) for the next 10 days. I think it was a "bug" that we caught and not from the food. Thinking back, I remember not feeling so great earlier in the day before I even ate the fish. Other than that time, I've never had any issues with seafood in Aruba (8 trips in a row).
    Believe me, when you get food poisoning, you will know the difference between it and a "bug". I've had food poisoning twice in my life (once in the U.S.) and you vomit about every 15-20 minutes for HOURS...it does not end and you feel like you want to die. You're exhausted, dehydrated, etc. but it keeps coming back every 15-20 minutes even though you have nothing left in your stomach.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I apologize, my doctor misinformed me perhaps. I was such after eating sushi one time (deathly I'll) and my doc questioned when the symptoms cane on. I said about two hours after eating and he said that symptoms usually occur later, that's why people will feel fine after dinner, go to bed and wake up in the middle of the night incredibly I'll. However, he did say usually and everyone is different. I didn't have food poisoning but was pregnant! Lol! Interesting way to find out.

Thank u everybody for ur replies !!! I really was hoping that it wasn't the fish being that I love fish. I am
    Thinking it probably was maybe a mixture of the heat , wine and fish that just didn't agree with me so it's safe
    to say I'm safe to eat seafood on the island yess??? lol

Aruba since 1979
    YES!
    we love the native wahoo and grouper.
    mild and wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast