Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Pegmeister

Thread: Special occasion restaurant needed! A b-day trip, solo. Other tips?

Special occasion restaurant needed! A b-day trip, solo. Other tips?

I will be in Aruba for a week at the end of January 2013. The trip is to celebrate my birthday- the BIG 3-0! I absolutely cannot wait! I have somehow spent my entire Saturday reading, reading, reading anything Aruba-related because it is all that I can think about! I am staying on Eagle Beach, will be arriving on Sunday morning and leaving on Friday. My objectives for the trip are (1) a good tan from plenty of relaxation on the beach (not a pool!) and (2) plenty of fabulous food and drink. The only catch is... I am coming alone (well, I actually see it as an opportunity, not a catch, per se). Do you all have any pointers that I should know considering I will be by myself?

Also, I want to go ahead and make dinner reservations for my official birthday celebration on the day of. What restaurants are special occasion worthy? I would like excellent service, artfully prepared gourmet cuisine and an amazing ambiance and am willing to pay the price. Where would you suggest? Chalet Suisse, Madame Janette, Screaming Eagle, Amadeus, Marandi, Windows on Aruba are some that have caught my attention so far.

For dinner on other evenings- All the online reviews have been a tremendous help in learning about the restaurants. The experience of dinner with your feet in the sand (or water!) sounds so cool. It is clearly marketed for those diners looking for a romantic evening. Would it be totally weird (or do you think I would look extremely out of place) if I went to dine by myself at one of these (Passions on the Beach, Old Man and the Sea, Flying Fishbone, etc.)?

And where to book a great Sunday brunch? I think that's the first thing I'll do upon landing. Champagne will be needed!

Thanks! I can't wait to hear what y'all (I'm from TN! ) have to say!

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

i am going to add in my suggestions/thoughts in BOLD in your message.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelebratingJane View Post
    I will be in Aruba for a week at the end of January 2013. The trip is to celebrate my birthday- the BIG 3-0! I absolutely cannot wait! I have somehow spent my entire Saturday reading, reading, reading anything Aruba-related because it is all that I can think about! I am staying on Eagle Beach, will be arriving on Sunday morning and leaving on Friday. My objectives for the trip are (1) a good tan from plenty of relaxation on the beach (not a pool!) and (2) plenty of fabulous food and drink. The only catch is... I am coming alone (well, I actually see it as an opportunity, not a catch, per se). Do you all have any pointers that I should know considering I will be by myself?

Also, I want to go ahead and make dinner reservations for my official birthday celebration on the day of. What restaurants are special occasion worthy? I would like excellent service, artfully prepared gourmet cuisine and an amazing ambiance and am willing to pay the price. Where would you suggest? Chalet Suisse, Madame Janette, Screaming Eagle, Amadeus, Marandi, Windows on Aruba are some that have caught my attention so far.all that you have mentioned are extraordinary.

For dinner on other evenings- All the online reviews have been a tremendous help in learning about the restaurants. The experience of dinner with your feet in the sand (or water!) sounds so cool. It is clearly marketed for those diners looking for a romantic evening. Would it be totally weird (or do you think I would look extremely out of place) if I went to dine by myself at one of these (Passions on the Beach, Old Man and the Sea, Flying Fishbone, etc.)?

I am not sure if it'd be weird dining alone there or not, but my suggestion would be BAREFOOT

And where to book a great Sunday brunch? I think that's the first thing I'll do upon landing. Champagne will be needed! Hyatt, Radisson and Windows on Aruba have wonderful brunches.

Thanks! I can't wait to hear what y'all (I'm from TN! ) have to say!

Thanks for the reply, Andrea! I have already been reading your posts on other forums- such good info! We all appreciate being able to learn from you! I will definitely look into Barefoot- I am not yet familiar with it. I am thrilled to hear you recommend Windows because I went ahead and made reservations there last night! Yay! Thanks again.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    i wish i could give you an answer on if it'd be weird or not going to those places you mentioned alone.
    flying fishbone and old man and the sea are an expensive taxi r/t if you do not have a rental car.

i hope that you have a blast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratingJane View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Andrea! I have already been reading your posts on other forums- such good info! We all appreciate being able to learn from you! I will definitely look into Barefoot- I am not yet familiar with it. I am thrilled to hear you recommend Windows because I went ahead and made reservations there last night! Yay! Thanks again.

Good for you taking a solo vacation. You will absolutely enjoy yourself in Aruba. Beautiful beaches, great shopping and wonderful restaurants that's are hard to beat. I have White Modern on my to go list for my trip in May and while I haven't been yet, I've seen a number of great reviews. It may be a good place to check out for your 30th.

I would not worry about eating alone at any of the "romantic" restaurants - you will look mysterious.

I've traveled to Aruba a few times on my own without my husband or gal pals and have had a great time in Aruba doing my own thing.

My favorite "toes in the sand" restaurants are Passions and Old Man & The Sea. If you go to Passions, stop by their beach bar for 2 for 1 drinks from 5pm-6pm and have a nice view of the sunset.

Other places that we like that are on your list: Screaming Eagle, Amadeus, and White. I've eaten at all of these places alone a couple of times here and there over the years.

I just celebrated my birthday in Aruba this past Sept. with my husband and my pick for my birthday dinner was Screaming Eagle - had a great dinner there!

We had a fantastic Sunday Brunch this past Sept. at Ventanas del Mar at Tierra del Sol (golf course). Had a table outside with a nice view of the water and lighthouse in the distance and Ernesto playing guitar a few seats away - great food (you order ala carte from a menu for one price) plus unlimited mimosas or champagne.

Congrats on your upcoming birthday...hope you have a great time in Aruba!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I recommend you try Two Fools and A Bull. The food, presentation, wine, etc are great. Since it is a "private" setting, you will definitely be able to connect with the other diners (I think he takes up to 16) and Fred and Paul will make you feel like a guest in their "home"...and probably drink with you as long as you want after dinner.