Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Splitting checks

Splitting checks

This will be our first time dining with another couple. What is customary in Aruba? Will most places do separate checks if you ask? If not, will they charge certain ammounts on each card? Or should we plan on having cash when we dine together to make it easier?

I never really considere dthis an issue but last weekend we had a party of 3 families at a restaurant near home and they only did one check per table so it got me thinking about it.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We often ask for separate checks and get them with no problem. We each pay our own checks with our credit cards.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Ask for separate checks. They may say no but most restaurants will separate each parties charges at the end so you can pay separately.

Aruba since 1979
    we too have neve had an issue with separate checks.

I have paid a check with multiple credit cards with no problem. Actually, funny story. We went to MJ's and apparently 3 of us left credit cards with the staff to pay the bill so they split it.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

we do the same as jacki did...give more than one card and they split it...never had a problem. But I would just ask before hand or ask for separate checks if the server seems reluctant.
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

We have found that servers prefer to know up front that the table wants separate checks so they can record information appropriately rather than going back and re-doing the check after it has been presented.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    The restaurants will usually do it any way you ask. Ask the other couple how they want it handled. We have run into problems here dining with friends because we usually split the check. That doesn't work well when their dinner selections are much more expensive than yours. As an example, the last time we went out with this one couple(good friends) she had a glass of wine, he had a mixed drink, we did not. They split an appetizer, we did not. The dinners were comparable but both their meals were a few dollars more than ours. We split the check so we ended up paying more than we should have. I don't think they realized it but it is one of those times when separate checks would have been better. When the situation is reversed, I will cover the entire tip to equal it out.

I have never had a problem splitting checks and at time there are 5 couples we just let them know right away.
    Next Aruba trip in

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear the positive experiences and no issues.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast