Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Starbucks Comes to Palm Beach

On other travel sites that is the one thing which is always mentioned pertaining to Aruba. (too Americanized) they equate it to being in Miami Beach. That being said I believe according to statistics Aruba has the highest repeat visitors of any island. So be it! That is one thing some people love about aruba! I love my starbucks coffee. It is not
    like we are in Vienna or some great "coffee capital" of the world.

I really like Amy's idea the best!! Coffee on the balcony followed by Mimosas? Where's your balcony? We will be there. LOL.

I don't know what people think that make the statement "too Americanized". Aruba and Miami Beach are miles apart literally and physically, thank goodness. The Aruban natives are just as welcome to enjoy Wendy's, Tony Roma's, Burger King, Starbucks, etc. as are Americans, Europeans and others. Most, but not all of the "American" restaurants are really more international, catering the locals of the country they are in. Remember the Taco Bell at Seaport Marketplace? Our first trip we went there to grab a quick couple of tacos before heading to Palm Beach. They came with French fries. They don't come with French fries here. They come with French fries in Aruba, because that is obviously what the Arubans like. Starbucks coffee... meh.

My husband I just returned from a European tour, Budapest Hungary, Austria, and Prague, and Helsinki Finland. Guess what? All of those franchises listed have the those restaurants in those countries. It is not just Aruba so it is a silly statement to make. McDonalds is everywhere as well. As you say if the people want to have access to those places so be it.

Aruba since 1979
    arubans as well as tourists visiting aruba (not all, but some) like the american franchise places.
    we as tourists have no say as to what restaurant chain comes to aruba.
    it is a place we visit.

arubans call the shots as well they should.
    it's their home.

remember .........all opinions are welcome and respect is the key player on this forum.

Andrea I was just agreeing with WaltVB. No disrespect intended. As he said it is what the people of the particular country wish and they should have what they want. I was just agreeing with the statement.

Aruba since 1979
    if you read my post and thought that i was accusing you of being disrespectful , i was not. i am sorry that if you interpreted it that way. it was unintentional.
    this topic of "american franchise restaurants" has been talked about often and lots of people take offense that there are American Fast Food Restaurants and many Arubans like American fast food and franchise restaurants.
    i was making clear that all opinions are welcome and we respect all opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diann24 View Post
    Andrea I was just agreeing with WaltVB. No disrespect intended. As he said it is what the people of the particular country wish and they should have what they want. I was just agreeing with the statement.

Many of us who were pre-Y2K visitors to the island remember the Taco Bell and Wendys that were downtown being the only fast-food restaurants available. Each year, we found more and more chain restaurants and fast-food. This year I think I counted at least 7 Subways (maybe I counted one twice as we were lost on the back roads and we may have passed the same spot a couple times; lol). No one is forced to go to those places, and we choose not to as there as soooo many good local restaurants. However, the kids did like TGIFridays because it was familiar and comfortable for them to go without us one night.

Someone said people are not supportive of the local economy by frequenting a chain or fast-food restaurant. I asked if it is likely Arubans own the franchises and Arubans work in them.

What I was/am sad about is that the growth in the hi-rise hotel area has taken from the business in the downtown area. We used to like to walk not only the main drag by the water downtown, but also the streets behind that area.

Back on topic. I did not go to the Starbucks at Paceo Herencia, simply because I'm done with coffee by 10am and on to better things to drink. I don't know that it would be an enjoyable walk on the road from the Ritz; it may be a nicer walk along the beach and cross over the road when you get to the Holiday Inn.

Aruba since 1979
    i too am sad about the downtown restaurants hurting as a result of people not heading downtown as often as they used to.
    what concerns me even more is the impact of all inclusive resorts on the local restaurants.

i do go to the dunkin donuts downtown at the renaissance marketplace, the alhambra marketplace and the tropicana.
    we rarely, if ever, go to any of the other fast food places.

i think "american restaurants" in aruba is a topic that brings much conversation.... is a great topic!
    we all have our opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Many of us who were pre-Y2K visitors to the island remember the Taco Bell and Wendys that were downtown being the only fast-food restaurants available. Each year, we found more and more chain restaurants and fast-food. This year I think I counted at least 7 Subways (maybe I counted one twice as we were lost on the back roads and we may have passed the same spot a couple times; lol). No one is forced to go to those places, and we choose not to as there as soooo many good local restaurants. However, the kids did like TGIFridays because it was familiar and comfortable for them to go without us one night.

Someone said people are not supportive of the local economy by frequenting a chain or fast-food restaurant. I asked if it is likely Arubans own the franchises and Arubans work in them.

What I was/am sad about is that the growth in the hi-rise hotel area has taken from the business in the downtown area. We used to like to walk not only the main drag by the water downtown, but also the streets behind that area.

Back on topic. I did not go to the Starbucks at Paceo Herencia, simply because I'm done with coffee by 10am and on to better things to drink. I don't know that it would be an enjoyable walk on the road from the Ritz; it may be a nicer walk along the beach and cross over the road when you get to the Holiday Inn.

I agree Andrea. It is a great topic, and if the American places started charging a service charge, we would need another forum category to express all of our thoughts and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    since you will have a coffee maker in your timeshare i recommend that you buy some Douwe Egbert coffee at the supermarket! awesome coffee.
    I will definitely check that out, thanks for the suggestion Andrea. I have to check to see if the apartment we rented has a coffee maker. If not I have a travel French Press for 'coffee emergencies'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast