Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: "stop doing this at restaurants"

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    My pet peeve with servers: When I dine out with my girlfriends and order dessert (and my dining partner(s) don't order dessert) the server brings MY dessert and announces "I brought extra forks/spoons to share". I hate when they do this. It's MY dessert. If they wanted dessert, then they should have ordered their own dessert. If I ordered an entrée should I expect the server to bring 2 forks because my dining partner only ordered a side salad. Of course this wouldn't bother me when dining out with DH since he is paying the check (truthfully I pay the check with of course his credit card). When I eat out with DH I have not problem slapping his hand away "That's my dessert". Luckily it rarely happens as DH is not much of a dessert eater.

With my friends we always get separate checks which I like. When I dine out I want to order what I want. I'm always the most expensive check. If it be a glass of wine, an appetizer or a more expensive entrée or dessert, I don't want to anyone to pay more than their share. It's not that I'm cheap. which I'm not; I just want to eat MY dessert (my favorite part of the meal).

Liz, love your post!! When I order dessert I always tell them I'm not sharing and they always bring an extra fork for Tom!

Aruba since 1979
    i hear ya liz!
    i want MY OWN dessert.
    we were out with friends last week for a birthday celebration dinner.
    i ate light (chicken ceasar salad) because the restaurant has cholocate cake to die for.
    they all had prime rib or surf/turf.
    i did not eat off any of their plates.
    paul offered me a bite of his baked tater.

the server asks who wants dessert.
    they all ordered decaf and i ordered decaf with a slice of the cake.
    the server said, i will bring 4 forks.
    i said "oh no you won't "
    paul and the others were po'd.

I always say I am not sharing my dessert. It gets laughs but, I mean it.

I have never heard of "have your payment ready". Sometimes I am not sure how I want to pay. Yesterday I was at lunch with my daughter and I checked my cash for exact amount (with Tip). I didn't have it. So, might a well pay with credit card as they have to come back either way for me to settle it.

I also dislike the memory game. Its a great talent but, why take the chance.

I had a gum chewing waiter last weekend. It was a "fine dining" place.

The "get out" request is lousy. I usually tip more if I linger a bit. How about when host staff keep coming back to look at your table as a hint that they want you to leave? I usually say to those I am with that the table is being eyeballed, I guess its time to go.

Aruba since 1979
    really...gum ?

we were on a cruise in May on the Carnival Sunshine.
    the 2nd night onboard we were in the main dining room and our service was horrific.
    finally our entrees were being delivered to our table and the tables surrounding us as the rest of the dining room was on dessert .
    i barely had but a few bites of my dinner when the the maitre'd announced over the microphone to plese do not linger that they had to prep the dining room for the late seating.

paul and i and our table mates continued to eat, along with all the others in our area that were delayed in getting our meals.
    the maitre'd came over to our area and gave us all the stink eye.
    it was ridiculous.
    dessert menus were never offered and the maitre'd hovered.
    a number of us went to guest services to express our displeasure.
    the maitre'd did not receive a tip from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan&Sunshine View Post
    I always say I am not sharing my dessert. It gets laughs but, I mean it.

I have never heard of "have your payment ready". Sometimes I am not sure how I want to pay. Yesterday I was at lunch with my daughter and I checked my cash for exact amount (with Tip). I didn't have it. So, might a well pay with credit card as they have to come back either way for me to settle it.

I also dislike the memory game. Its a great talent but, why take the chance.

I had a gum chewing waiter last weekend. It was a "fine dining" place.

The "get out" request is lousy. I usually tip more if I linger a bit. How about when host staff keep coming back to look at your table as a hint that they want you to leave? I usually say to those I am with that the table is being eyeballed, I guess its time to go.

Wow, Andrea! How rude of them!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    yup
    it was ridiculous
    our waiter and busboy had to pull double duty due to staffing cutbacks and then there was a problem in the galley.
    we were only back in the dining room for one more dinner and the other nights ate on lido or in the specialty restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Wow, Andrea! How rude of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    really...gum ?

we were on a cruise in May on the Carnival Sunshine.
    the 2nd night onboard we were in the main dining room and our service was horrific.
    finally our entrees were being delivered to our table and the tables surrounding us as the rest of the dining room was on dessert .
    i barely had but a few bites of my dinner when the the maitre'd announced over the microphone to plese do not linger that they had to prep the dining room for the late seating.

paul and i and our table mates continued to eat, along with all the others in our area that were delayed in getting our meals.
    the maitre'd came over to our area and gave us all the stink eye.
    it was ridiculous.
    dessert menus were never offered and the maitre'd hovered.
    a number of us went to guest services to express our displeasure.
    the maitre'd did not receive a tip from us.
    Ugh but not surprising: our first cruise ever was on Carnival... never again...

leaving the cleanup to people who get paid to do it......when i am finished with a meal and nobody comes to take it away.....i move it to the side where it may be easier for anyone to grap on their way past my table....ever try that? Its not a stacking, its just an indication that i'd like you to clear this from my table....and as was mentioned before, to clear the area in front of me when i wish to linger and enjoy the rest of my time (which i'm paying for).....a little subtle message, or maybe not so subtle, but i will continue to use this tactic. Just sayin.

I do the above too ArubaAce! I will try and remember to stop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast