Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Sunday Brunch - Marriott vs. Hyatt

A few weeks ago we went to the Hyatt for Sunday brunch. Today we decided to try the Marriott as they have beefed up their brunch and are, supposedly, competing with the Hyatt. I must say, there is no comparison. Okay, the Hyatt is $10 more than the Marriott but..... the selections and service are so much better at The Hyatt. The Hyatt has a dedicated area, on Sunday, for guests to order ala carte which is not near the buffet (other place entirely). Therefore, as soon as you sit down you are offered mimosas, coffee or whatever you want. You then go up to the buffet which consists of a large area covered with shrimp and oysters with cocktail sauce (they are on ice), another area with European breakfast items (meats, cheeses, caviar with all the fixings, etc.) and salads. There is, of course, an omelette station with all the things that come with b-fast. There is a pizza area and a pasta station. There is a carving station (always manned and never dried out). There are all the usual b-fast stuff and a large dessert area with a person scooping ice cream and peach cobbler (caramel sauce and whipped cream offered as well.
    The Marriott has everyone mixed together with far fewer servers (many of the staff seemed frazzled and no one came for mimosas or bloody mary's until we asked for them (he was in the kitchen getting an ala carte order) and there were no refills offered. There were 2 omelette stations but one closed at 11 so he could do the pizza. They ran out of certain danish at noon and said they were just "out". I had to ask several people where the shrimp was (I had circled the room quite a few times) and it was pointed out in a medium size bowl behind some other stuff - not on ice! The shrimp was overcooked and I, who never leave a shrimp behind, left mine. The Mgr. I asked about the shrimp said they might be out - I said "out at 11:20 a.m."???? She then said oh yes here it is, maybe we'll refill it - huh????? They were seriously understaffed but everyone was pleasant. I don't consider it worth the money and will not return. JMHO, Linda

Oh yes, forgot to say that when DH went up to the carving station he asked the gentleman manning the omelette station who was manning the carving station - guess who - he was doing both jobs and the meat was dried out! Not his fault!

Junior Member mandylovestotravel's Avatar
    Great to hear since I made reservations for Mother's day Brunch at the Hyatt! I have told my mom how fabulous it is supposed to be, so I hope it does hold up to the hype the day we dine there