Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sustainability of Aruba’s National Park (Concept Conservation Fee)

The following is taken from Arikok's Facebook page:

This is the concept of the conservation fee of Arikok National Park.

Implementation of a conservation fee

As of 2009 1st of July Arikok National Park will implement a conservation fee. This fee will help the park to conserve its natural habitat and history, educate visitors about Aruba’s nature and culture and develop/maintain recreational sites within the park.

The proceeds earned out of the conservation fee will be used for:

• Nature conservation (breeding programs, research and reforestation etc.)
    • Maintenance of Arikok National Park infrastructure (roads,hiking trails,stone and cacti fences, etc.)
    • Education (educational programs, documentaries and the park library)
    • Marketing (awareness campaigns and promotion materials etc.)

Official Arikok National Park Conservation fee

Tourist conservation fees (walk-ins) per day per person

Adult: $12, -
    Child(0-17): Free
    Annual conservation fee for adults: $28, - (year pass)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Local conservation fees (walk-ins) per day per person

Adult: Afl.12, -
    Child (0-17): Free
    School: Afl.1,- per child for the service of the park guides

Annual conservation fee Year pass

• Adult: Afl.28, -
    • Members of sports organizations that use the park! 20% discount: Afl.22.50
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arikok National Park Services

Tourist Fee

Group hiking with park guide: $25, - max. 15 people per guide
    Camping: $25, - camping permit per group

Local Fee

Group hiking with park guide: Afl.25, - max. 15 people per guide
    Camping: Afl.25,- camping permit per group

Aruba since 1979
    i understand the need to have some monies raised
    but i think (and i may be wrong)
    that folks will not opt to pay the $12 fee for a visit

hey, i have been wrong oonce or twice before
    andrea

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i understand the need to have some monies raised
    but i think (and i may be wrong)
    that folks will not opt to pay the $12 fee for a visit

hey, i have been wrong oonce or twice before
    andrea

DITTO...I totally agree...cindyo

I am with you all that flk will complain and not pay, but most of the people I deal with in travel they will be more than happy to conserve our beautiful Aruba and our Earth. I will pay when I go in September.

I couldn't agree more. $12 is a little steep.

Whenever we toured the caves or the old visitor's center at Fontein, we always generously tipped the rangers.

Contributing to the upkeep up the park is one thing and would gladly do this as well in addtion to our customary tips. But again, the price is on the high side for the value. Is this turning the park into a "for profit" venture or supplementing the Aruban government in other ways?

We here will all voice our opinions, but tourists will vote with their pocketbooks. My guess is that "first time visitors" to the island will gladly pay the fee.

Over the years, in 17 trips to the island, we have driven through the park during just about every stay on the island. For the price of $12 per adult, for the pleasure of using the roadway and enjoying the scenery, we have little incentive to continue to visit the park.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 06-04-2009 at 01:59 PM.

I feel bad for the people running the bar at Boca Prins. Their business is going to tank in a hurry. Last time it was up for sale the asking price was around $750k, so they must have some overhead.

My wife is going to be upset about this. She loves going to the park but we have only seen one ranger on one of our trips to Arikok and it seems like some of the caves are never open. I don't think we'll be spending $24 just to see the same sights over and over again, no matter how beautiful it is.

Smile Street Closing/Architectural issues

I'm more concerned about the street closings to the park and the architectural design of the new visitors center. I agree that fist time visitors will pay the $ 12.00, if they fel ripped off after the visit is another issue.
    The European Community provided 600,000 Euros for the renovation of the park street and the visitors center and since construction started the road has been closed. Construction could have been done with the road left open to visitors. About 2 weeks ago I was allowed to pass the guard house and drive all the way to the visitos center (mayb hald a mile). I was surpised when I saw that the new buildings had no architectural features relating to the Arawak Indians, to Aruba or any Dutch style or even Cunucu. They look like buildings of a small modern ski village in the Austrian Alps. Sad to see that!

Too bad they aren't charging by the car instead of per person. Maybe people would be more willing to pay $10-$12 per car to go through the park. But $36 for our family of 3 to drive through is too much. Too bad - we always liked to drive through the park during our visits. Looks like one more thing we won't be doing next visit!

Well folks, heres another way to look at it.....most of us go at least 2x per year...many of you more that that....if you go to the NP each visit it is worth paying the 28 dollars and is cheaper in a long run...altough if you are paying for your entier family if can be a costly venture......I guess I will miss going to the NP as Dh will not pay that amount to go to the pool and sit and watch the rest of us go into the water...
    Ah well, at least I've been blessed and have been able to enjoy it before the fee....

BTW...is the NB considered part of the Park ??? I did not think so, but I really enjoy riding out there, stopping and having a couple of those frozen alcohol laced coconut coladas !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Arikok conservation fee

Hello, we have visited Aruba every year since 1991. Each year, we always drive though the national park. I fully understand the need for a conservation fee but $12 is excessive. We have 4 people in our group and $48 will turn us away.
    A $12 fee per car load is a more reasonable approach. Some money is better than no money at all. Please change your pricing so that we can continue to enjoy this part of Aruba but at practical cost. Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast