Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A thought/question about the service fee at restaurants

A thought/question about the service fee at restaurants

I understand the whole idea of restaurants that charge a service fee on the dinner bill and that in most cases that fee is shared by workers. Some tourists decide whether or not to go to certain restaurants based on the service fee being charged or not. And I've also been told that not all restaurants share that fee.

In the U.S. wait staff is usually paid a low, low wage, and I always felt that the tip was to augment their earnings as well as recognize good service. So I'm wondering this: Does anyone know what the wages are for the wait staff at the restaurants in Aruba that charge a service fee vs. those that do not?

Aruba since 1979
    Great question!

Interesting! I guess I just figured it would be a very low wage like the US, but as we all know there are many things that are very different in Aruba!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    I understand the whole idea of restaurants that charge a service fee on the dinner bill and that in most cases that fee is shared by workers. Some tourists decide whether or not to go to certain restaurants based on the service fee being charged or not. And I've also been told that not all restaurants share that fee.

In the U.S. wait staff is usually paid a low, low wage, and I always felt that the tip was to augment their earnings as well as recognize good service. So I'm wondering this: Does anyone know what the wages are for the wait staff at the restaurants in Aruba that charge a service fee vs. those that do not?
    I don't know the answer to this question. I guess, it has a lot to do with staying competitive. In the meantime, there are several US franchise food chains in Aruba (corporations). I would think it's quite difficult for a local restaurant to compete with them regarding prices, costs, etc. In addition, Aruba has also one of the highest income taxes worldwide.

Regarding the wait staff (or staff working in the tourist industry):
    I always like to see how people actually live. I have a few local friends in Aruba. What I noticed: water, for instance, is VERY expensive. To water a yard is almost luxury. Therefore, some collect the condense water from the air condition unit to water some plants with it. And speaking of air condition: most people use the "natural" air condition: open the doors and windows and let the wind come through. In other words: many people can not afford having air conditioning. Some who are better off, have it only in the bedroom and use it only as needed. (I always turned the air condition off when I left my hotel room). Electricity is very expensive. So is gasoline. That's why many locals take the bus.

Restaurants are very expensive. That's why many locals eat in local restaurants. So are clothes and many other items.

My impression: most locals live a simple life.
    Last edited by CK1; 05-20-2015 at 04:30 PM.

I can give an answer to this. They restaurants in aruba pay low wages as well I think simular as in the states. I worked in several restaurants on Aruba. About the service charge that already on the bill. It's a cover for the workers because of the many European guests I guess. They have a different wage system and don't know about tipping 15-20% here they pay for example 15 dollars when it's 14,75

Quote Originally Posted by LauraAruba View Post
    About the service charge that already on the bill. It's a cover for the workers because of the many European guests I guess. They have a different wage system and don't know about tipping 15-20% here they pay for example 15 dollars when it's 14,75
    Workers in European restaurants are paid a very good wage so there is no reason to tip. When we travel to Europe we do as the locals do and just "round up" if we have had really good service. If, for example, our dinner bill was 58 Euros then we would leave 60 Euros.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Workers in European restaurants are paid a very good wage so there is no reason to tip. When we travel to Europe we do as the locals do and just "round up" if we have had really good service. If, for example, our dinner bill was 58 Euros then we would leave 60 Euros.
    Exactly!! But I think most European don't know that in the USA and aruba you get minimum or less. They think.what we get in Europe is standard so that's why they don't tip. Also I heard some saying woow 15% of the bill that's much. But again they are not familiar with it.

One time we had a famous dutch soccer player in the restaurant. Our manager told us to get him.everything he Want Want. Wich resulted in getting one order drink at the time. He had a bill of 296 and he gave us 300. Damn I cursed on the terrace lol

Quote Originally Posted by LauraAruba View Post
    Exactly!! But I think most European don't know that in the USA and aruba you get minimum or less. They think.what we get in Europe is standard so that's why they don't tip. Also I heard some saying woow 15% of the bill that's much. But again they are not familiar with it.

One time we had a famous dutch soccer player in the restaurant. Our manager told us to get him.everything he Want Want. Wich resulted in getting one order drink at the time. He had a bill of 296 and he gave us 300. Damn I cursed on the terrace lol
    I would have, too! LOL!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Question

I've been wondering about this. In the US I mostly tip 20% unless the service is very poor. What do others typically do? Add 5%? I like to reward for good service but would like to know what's customary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stev&Mo View Post
    I've been wondering about this. In the US I mostly tip 20% unless the service is very poor. What do others typically do? Add 5%? I like to reward for good service but would like to know what's customary.
    If I was going to tip 20% and got a bill with a 15% SC, I'd add 5%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast