Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Tipping

We like the European model that is used in many countries we've traveled to: Service charge is already included in the prices and you do not tip because the servers/waiters are already paid a good wage and don't depend on tips. If you feel you had exceptional service you can round up. For example, if your bill was 47 Euros and you thought the service was excellent you round up to 50 Euros and leave them a 3 Euro tip (or even just a Euro or two is a nice gesture.) Makes life so much easier for everyone.

In Aurba, if there is a 15% service charge added already we will tip another 5-10% for good service but no more than that.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I'll add a wrench - if a restaurant announced they were also raising the wages of the staff 15%, not a problem.

That'll never happen.

I prefer the European model as well but when tipping is an expectation, I like controlling the dial.

Ok. A question. Do you tip the boys at the checkouts at Lings or Superfoods. If the load is big and if they take it to the car and pack it in, I always tip them a couple of US dollars. What do others do?

Aruba since 1979
    absolutely
    they get 0 pay other than tips
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Ok. A question. Do you tip the boys at the checkouts at Lings or Superfoods. If the load is big and if they take it to the car and pack it in, I always tip them a couple of US dollars. What do others do?

Yes, of course.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    and for those that stay at all inclusives?
    tipping the wait staff, bartenders and counter (fast food) workers ?

the times that we have done all inclusive, we have tipped all...but the amount ..we never quite knew how much we should be tipping.

Definitely. Usually $5 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    and for those that stay at all inclusives?
    tipping the wait staff, bartenders and counter (fast food) workers ?

the times that we have done all inclusive, we have tipped all...but the amount ..we never quite knew how much we should be tipping.
    Do the resort web sites state whether it's truly all-inclusive (i.e. including gratuities)?

We travel on Regent cruise lines and they state it explicitly. I prefer that model - just show up and start with the cack-tails!

Aruba since 1979
    i think so, although i cannot be sure.
    when we stayed at the Tamarijn, late 90s, early 2000s, the paperwork said all tips included.
    not sure how it is now.
    those who frequent the AIs, maybe they will post.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Do the resort web sites state whether it's truly all-inclusive (i.e. including gratuities)?

We travel on Regent cruise lines and they state it explicitly. I prefer that model - just show up and start with the cack-tails!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    absolutely
    they get 0 pay other than tips
    This is one thing I would not have known had I not seen it on this site. We tip a little extra knowing that.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast