Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Cool Trip Report -July 5-12 w/ restaurant reviews

Wow, as I'm sure you can all relate I can't believe the week went by so quickly. A few general observations this year....

-The island seems more active than last year, maybe shaking off some of the recession's effects. More hustle and bustle, some new places, especially around Palm Beach, and it seems like there is more construction activity in general.

-The World Cup was a great event on the island with the Netherlands going to the final. We saw the last final in 2006 between Italy and France and it was nothing like this. People were so happy to see their team make it to the final, although it was subdued on Sunday night after the loss.

This was our 7th trip in the past 8 years but without kids this time so it was a bit different and we tried a few new things. Also, first time we went Monday to Monday as Marriott now allows check ins Thursday thru Monday. The airport is wonderful on Monday. We checked in and through customs in 15 minutes...and then donated some money at the new slot room at the airport since i had 2 hours to kill. Here's a few short reviews:

-snorkeled on the Jolly Pirates for the first time and had a real fun time, even without kids. Lot's of people on the boat (about 50) so not an intimate trip like some of the smaller boats we have been on, but nice crew, good food and drinks and the snorkeling was fine.

-Breakfast: we usually eat breakfast in the timeshare but tried and loved Linda's Pancakes so much we went back again. You must try the apple pancakes and remember they are really crepes, not IHOP pancakes. Also had breakfast at Matthews one morning at Costa Linda. Good food in a beatiful setting. Always nice drinking coffee looking at Eagle Beach.

-Dinner: tried 3 new places-loved Wacky Wahoos and Chef's Tables. WW is just a nice local place with really fresh fish and lots of hustle and bustle. Not the place for a romantic dinner, just great fish. Chef's Tables is a terrific restaurant that has apparently been around for 4 or 5 years and is really not very far from Palm or Eagle Beach. Lovely courtyard tables (indoor too if you want AC), very friendly service, and great food. We also tried Amadeus and were less impressed with our experience. The food was fine but I think I would like this restaurant more in city rather than a tropical island-it just didn't seem like it belonged in Aruba. As usual, great dinners at Madame Janette's and at Pincho's and terrific ribs at Smokey Joe's.

Already looking forward to next year!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Chef's Table is a little gem.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for the report.
    1 week is definitely not enough right?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 07-13-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: since there were a few restaurant reviews i copied it to this category too

Great trip report! We've also eaten at Chef's Table and really enjoyed it. We may try Wacky Wahoo this year. We try to add a new restaurant every year, but just don't seem to have enough nights

If you go to Wack Wahoo you definitely should make a reservation as it seems to always be crowded. They did take us within 5 minutes of our reserved time but people without reservations were waiting outside since the bar area is pretty tight.