Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: USAtoday "best restaurants" Aruba

Funny how much different restaurants appeal to different people. My husband loves El Gaucho and so many people we know have given it very negative reviews. A few years back we went with a few other couples and believe me it was not because they wanted to, but because they knew that Rich wanted to. We wound up having a lovely time and every single person at the table was very happy with their meal.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba-Mark View Post
    I like White Modern Cuisine but I'm not putting them #1. Also... haven't eaten at Carte Blanche or 2 Fools and a Bull cause I'm not into 3 hour dinners. Just not sure I can handle that. I'm also surprised that the Italian restaurant at the Lighthouse made the list. I've heard nothing but bad things about the food there. Any top 10 list in Aruba without MJs is a joke. I'd also put Yemanja on there before a few of the others. Ventanas del Mar at Tierra del Sol should be #10 before the lighthouse place.
    We've dined at "Carte Blanche" and "Two Fools" quite a few times now - the time whips by... I'm not kidding... it's so much fun and you're engaged with the people around you so you don't notice the time passing. We like leisurely meals though.

I agree on the Lighthouse restaurant... not sure how that made it in. It's really old-school with a menu to match.

Went to "White Modern" for the first time last year and absolutely loved it... definitely up there with "Carte Blanche".

What is your number one?

I know this won't be controversial but here are what we consider the top five restaurants in Aruba as of November 2014 (this could change as of February 15th!!):

Carte Blanche
    White Modern
    Barefoot
    Flying Fishbone
    2 Fools and a Bull

Everything else on that list, we either found overrated or "middling" (in that there wasn't very much about it that stood out for us).

Honourable mentions to Ventanas del Mar and Gostoso's. Want to try them again in February to ensure they just weren't flukes.

A note about 2 Fools - we found it's more of an experience (the food is quite good)... the party atmosphere definitely puts it over-the-top for us.

Can't wait to try Quinta in Feb!
    Last edited by act1966; 01-19-2015 at 10:52 AM.

We haven't been to el Gaucho in a long time. It's probably been 7 or 8 years since we've been there. I've had some fabulous meals there and then some that weren't so good. I think it has to do with the Argentinian beef... One cut is so perfect and the next is tough. Going to give it a shot this year. Plus... I miss their sangria.

It's also a shame that Marandi's is no more. That would have definitely made my top 5 list. My top 5 list would be the following but remember that I haven't been to 2 fools and carte Blanche.

1. MJs
    2. Ventanas del Mar
    3. Flying Fishbone
    4. White Modern Cuisine
    5. Wacky Wahoo

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Well since we're naming names...... Here I go;
    i don't know how the heck the Lighthouse got on that list, what are they kidding?
    El Gaucho is done for me after they questioned us on the missing salt and pepper shakers. Their steaks are okay, the sides are always mushy

added to last list should be AnnaMaria's. Ventana Del Mar, QuintaDelCarmine, Wacky Wahoo, Barefoot stays
    havent been to 2fools , Carte Blanche, White Modern, Screaming Eagle but will in Sept.
    Last edited by cindyo; 01-19-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Well since we're naming names...... Here I go;
    i don't know how the heck the Lighthouse got on that list, what are they kidding?
    El Gaucho is done for me after they questioned us on the framing salt and pepper shakers. Their steaks are okay, the sides are always mushy

added to last list should be AnnaMaria's. Ventana Del Mar, QuintaDelCarmine, Wacky Wahoo, Barefoot stays
    havent been to 2fools , Carte Blanche, White Modern, Screaming Eagle but will in Sept.
    I'm intrigued: what are "framing salt and pepper shakers"?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    oh jesh !!! Missing is the word.
    they guard their salt and pepper shakers
    they delivery them when asked and remove after they clear the table
    get new cheap s&p shakers for Gods sake El Gaucho

Wow! Last time I was at El Gaucho the table next to us was being questioned on missing salt & pepper shakers. The server said she would have to pay for them out of pocket if they were missing. The guests at the table "found" the shakers in her purse.... I guess they have that issue often!
    Last edited by Jacki; 01-19-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    oh jesh !!! Missing is the word.
    they guard their salt and pepper shakers
    they delivery them when asked and remove after they clear the table
    get new cheap s&p shakers for Gods sake El Gaucho
    Yikes! Really?!? Hmmm. Scratch.

Now I have this picture in my head of a guy in an overcoat offering to sell me salt and pepper shakers or a "Gucci-like watch". He's hanging out on the beach near "Barefoot"...
    Last edited by act1966; 01-19-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast