Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa

Thread: Using resort concierge yes or no to make reservations

Using resort concierge yes or no to make reservations

Hello Andrea, Really dont know where to post this but I figured since we are on the subject of making reservations on this page I figured why not start here.
    A word of advice to guests from an experienced person who knows the ropes on many of the concierge at hotels. If you would like to make reservations at your resort then please go to the kiosk and make your reservation. I do not recommend asking a concierge about what they prefer as they are paid by head or couple by several restaurants to push the certain business and more money or benefits for concierge, this also relates to car rentals. I am talking from a reality point as I was on the board as Vice president of AGA association and what was going on with other non AGA restaurants was ridiculous. It is a shame that business owners cant just put their prices lower to get in the clientele but rather do it by rigging the system. If your concergie asks you not to go to a certain restaurant than ask why and please if it is what you desire then just go dine and make your own decision, dont listen to a young girl who really cant give a true comment or back it up. She is there to book your reservation and make your stay stress free. So enjoy Aruba and another word of advice from me....
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Aruba since 1979
    I moved this to its own thread.
    Thanks for the advice/input.

Years ago ago when we asked the resort concierge (we were at holiday inn) to make a reservation for us at a particular place for dinner and we're told "no you don't want to go there". Well ya we did want to go there. We ended up calling ourselves for the reservation ...restaurant happened to be le dome which has been closed for 4 yrs or so now.

LaCabana, 2 yrs ago, concierge advised us against Ruth's Chris when we asked them to make the call for a reservation.
    I did not take their advice.

i advise folks to stick to their guns and do not accept "no" and also ask "why not"

thanks angela it it is like a dirty little restaurant secret that is practiced worldwide.

Angela is soooo right! I wrote about a similar situation way back. Those big beautiful books with the menus in them, they pay to have their restaurants in there and the concierge has to "push" those restaurants as part of the contract.
    One restaurant that we frequent told us a story that happened to him. He doesn't advertise in the book because he is busy enough. He found out from a customer that when they asked to the concierge to make a reservation they told the customer all sorts of "lies" about the restaurant (one of which is that he was running an illegal kitchen). He went over and confronted the individual concierge and threatened legal action.

I prefer to make my own reservations anyway with the exceptions of a few (like Wacky Wahoo that doesn't have email ) as I can control things better. The concierge isn't so fast in following up on emails if they are busy at the resort. As a result, there have been occasions where their tardiness has cost me a reservation date and/or time slot. If a restaurant can't accommodate, you know your schedule best and its easier and faster to work it out yourself.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

We always make our own reservations prior to arriving on the island.

Upon arrival, we hand a slip of paper with date, time and place along with a TIP, to the concierge asking them to phone each establishment to reconfirm the reservations.

No one ever had an issue and gladly performed the service with a smile.

I'm sure that tip helps
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

After I posted the above, it dawned on me...aren't almost all of the concierge desks now operated by a third party company not the resort themselves?

If this is an issue, a good place to start might be with that third party company?
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 11-18-2013 at 09:45 PM.

In all of our many trips to Aruba dating back to 1996, we have always made our own dinner reservations either via the restaurant's website/email or a simple phone call from our room.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thank you Randi on your post. I do have a question on what big beautiful books you are referring to. If you are speaking on behalf of the ones in each lobby at all resorts then please let me clarify that it is not at all true about that the concierge has to push those. The book was created on behalf of all AGA members to let patrons/guests know who is included in the Aruba Gastronomic Association. For those that don't know AGA stands for "Committed to culinary and service excellence, AGA restaurants make food safety a priority by participating in training programs and inspections with local and international facilitators throughout the year. They are also visited routinely by “mystery shoppers” who evaluate all aspects of the dining experience that you will enjoy. The restaurants included are: Amazonia, Aqua Grill, Aquarius, Buccaneer, Carambola, Driftwood,Elements, French Steakhouse, Gari & Wasabi, Gasparito, Hostaria da Vittorio, Iguana Cantina, Iguana Joe’s, Ike’s Bistro, L.G Smith’s Steak & Chop House, La Trattoria El Faro Blanco, Las Ramblas, Le Petit Café, Mexicado, Pure Beach, Pure Ocean, Ruinas del mar,Texas de Brazil, Ventanas del Mar.
    This post was to express my thoughts , my experience with many clients, friends, acquaintances and above all to share with those who really want the full Aruba experience. Aruba is full of wonderful restaurants with chefs from all over the globe who tantalize your palettes with different foods fit for every person. So go for what you desire and enjoy your vacation.
    Randi I love your comment about the illegal kitchen, no way no how can that be true but I guess people will say anything to deter a few extra dollars in their pocket and thanks to the guest that told the owner this way these certain greedy concierge get bitten in the butt. Word travels fast to all the local businesses in Aruba and restaurant owners take pride in each establishment. Bon Appetite in Aruba!!!!

Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    When we went to Aruba, I had all our restaurants already booked, and asked the Radisson concierge to confirm reservations, which she did very well. I used the hotel concierge to book the De Palm tours (sunset sail and submarine).

Cheers

Marcio