Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NorthExposure
  • 3 Post By act1966

Thread: Wacky Wahoo's is better than ever

Wacky Wahoo's is better than ever

Wacky Wahoo's has been my favorite on Aruba since they opened. Relatively few restaurants near the tourist areas serve locally-caught fish (there just isn't enough to sustain bigger places including many of the best known restaurants on the island) and no place that serves local fish prepared it consistently as well.

Went there last night, our first visit since they bought the neighboring business and expanded. The new space has table spaced farther apart for more intimate dining, though it it still a louder place because of the materials in the walls. For those familiar with the old setup, the bar was moved to the adjoining room, creating more space, and while more searing was added, the spacing now is quite spacious.

I had the barracuda, blackened, and it was fantastic. It's a very firm, dense fish, almost like swordfish, though less thick, with a stronger taste that I enjoy and held up well to the relatively mild blackened spices. My DW has the red snapper, which in firmness is about halfway between Grouper and Mahi-Mahi, and that was very good too, though I prefer the barracuda. Her fish was a special served with two large shrimp, both excellent, and a scallop, and both fish dishes were served with baked, sweet plantains, grilled polenta, yellow rice and vegetable, the latter frozen but steam sauteed in butter. The portions are huge: I had two sizeable filets and my DW had the entire filet off one side of a large snapper. We typically eat half, box the rest to go, and then enjoy the next night while watching the sunset by the beach.

Both kids had the roast chicken, which is also very good and with all the sides. My 11-yr-old son, who is a football player, only got halfway through his. They also have many non-fish options which appear to the eye to look great but I have never been persuaded to spurn my love for the fish, especially since I now live so far from the ocean.

Less-than stellar:The ceviche, which while still very good and refreshing, was a little less generous in the past, but still worth it. Espresso is not a true espresso. Deserts are fine but I rather be eating the fish.

Service was friendly and attentive -- they know our family well after many visits. Also added a live performer, who serenaded tables while playing the guitar.

As for reservations, they field calls after 3 PM and you can book days or weeks ahead of time

Thanks for the update....can't wait for november to check out the new digs....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    now that wacky wahoo has more space and is less cramped we will put it on our list for november!

I'm bummed there closed during our stay

Can't wait to try it in November! Thanks for the detailed review.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Thanks for the update on the new renovations. We have discussed going on past trips, but the crowded and sometimes hot setting mentioned by many others on this forum kept us away. We will definitely put it on the list for next month based on your review.

Aruba since 1979
    yes indeed i look forward to having space and air!
    last time we were there, we were a party of 8 or 10 and were jammed in near the door. it was most uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks for the update on the new renovations. We have discussed going on past trips, but the crowded and sometimes hot setting mentioned by many others on this forum kept us away. We will definitely put it on the list for next month based on your review.

Ouch... you had me sold until, "... added a live performer, who serenaded tables while playing the guitar." I've had nightmares of accordion players standing over me playing, "Lady of Spain".