Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The West Deck - new restaurant

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    How do you guys know about Governor's Bay when it doesn't even show up on a map or on google? I see on the map where the restaurant must be but no GB label!
    Here is a second map showing details of Oranjestad. It does not say "Governor's Bay" but "Governor's Residence" ~ my understanding is that across from there is the "West Deck".

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/ar/ormap.shtml

CK1, thanks for doing that digging for me. But how does anyone find Governor's Bay when it's not labeled anywhere?

CK1
    CK1, thanks for doing that digging for me. But how does anyone find Governor's Bay when it's not labeled anywhere?
    My pleasure, AndyM.

I assume the locals know that spot as "Governor's Bay" as it's across from the "Governor's Residence".

I remember that spot quite well as I walked along the Seaport Marketplace which is one of my favorite places, then I went further down and explored the beautiful "Wilhelmina Park" with my camera as my constant companion. At the end of that park I saw the Bay and it looked like more a small beach and fishing area for the locals, there were some fishermen with their boats. Along that Bay/lagoon were the beautiful lights of the Renaissance Ocean Suits. I had a most wonderful view at the ocean and took many photos while the sun set down, capturing as well some of those lights. I noticed a young man who was standing at the edge of the Bay, looking as well out of the ocean and enjoying Mother Nature's magnificent sunset. And I thought to myself, there are not many people who actually stop what they are doing and just be enchanted by those spectacular sunsets.

Watching the sunsets from the beach or our timeshare balcony is one of our favorite pastimes. We build it into our schedule.

CK1
    AndyM, here is a bit more info from their FB site:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-W...287626&sk=info

It should be easy to find: from the Seaport Mall going through Wilhelmina Park (walking along LG Smith Blvd), there you see the Lagoon (like a river entering the ocean) and you should be able to see "The West Deck".

It also seems that tram from the Linear Park should lead right to it. I'm not sure if construction is already finished though.

CK1
    Watching the sunsets from the beach or our timeshare balcony is one of our favorite pastimes. We build it into our schedule.
    We have this in common.

Here is one of the sunset photos I took, you can see the lagoon and close where I had been standing to take this picture should be the new restaurant "The West Deck".

The West Deck - new restaurant-aruba_vacation_feb_2009-557.jpg
    Last edited by CK1; 10-03-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Lovely spot. Thanks for sharing.

CK1
    Lovely spot. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad you liked it.

CK1
    A very pleasant surprise at the new West Deck eatery at Governor’s Beach

On 14 Oct, 2013 At 09:09 PM | Categorized As Local | With 0 Comments

The West Deck - new restaurant-wes.jpg

Always keeping an eye towards Aruba’s new dining options, a taste-testing team from THE MORNING NEWS was utterly charmed by a luncheon interlude at the spanking new West Deck eatery, on the shoreline in downtown Oranjestad.
    The al fresco restaurant has been installed on the newly built deck overlooking Governor’s Beach, the small spit of beach front bordering the east side of the lagoon that splits the down, next to Wilhelmina Park. Looking south over the water, it appears to be on the western side of the lagoon, perhaps that accounts for the name?
    We were not surprised, after being delighted with a Sunday lunch at this charming to spot, to learn that it is the baby of master restaurateurs Robby and Anabella Peterson, who opened the very successful Pinchos at Surfside Marina, ten years ago. Spor*ting a simple setting with some colorful flair, brightly cushioned cou*ches bordering the restaurants woo*den railing offer a cozy setting for some sunset cuddling and a romantic dinner, though they may prove a tad too sunny during lunch hours.
    However, we found a comfortable table in the shade and were duly impressed with a diverse menu, heavily leaning towards a diversity of fresh fish and seafood, but offering some very inventive and intriguing choices for landlubbers, as well.
    Two of us immediately opted for the whole snapper, as this delicacy is becoming increasingly more difficult to find on Aruban restaurant menus. We also elected to sample the Bahamian Style Conch Fritters, which earned a unanimous vote of excellence. They were heavy on the conch, light on the batter, and this favorite mollusk, which can often be quite tough when not prepared correctly, was perfectly tender.
    The whole fish came with a very tasty, mild Creole Sauce, though the eager-to-please staff were only too happy to bring us a bit of Papaya Pica with which to spice things up a bit.
    With an eye towards patrons who come to imbibe some tropical cocktails or fine wines while snacking and enjoying the sunset, they have set up the menu to enjoy such things as the Bahamian fritters or coconut shrimp by the pound or dozen, so a group can share. Exotic side dishes we sampled included sweet potato french fries and Caribbean Rice, made with coconut milk, which all earned double thumbs up.
    Best of all, the prices are very moderate, particularly considering the location and gourmet presentation. This was a very successful exploration of a new island eatery, which we found delightful on all counts. Highly recommended.
    The West Deck - new restaurant-wd.jpg

http://themorningnewsaruba.com/local...vernors-beach/

Now I'm hungry...

Sounds good! Can't wait to try it in a few weeks!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast