Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Whilemina

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River

Whilemina

Going tonite
    got a lovely email welcoming us
    stay tuned

Can't wait to hear!! I liked the looks of the menu!

Aruba since 1979
    ....waiting

Wait no more.....

RESTAURANT REVIEW

Wilhelmina

Visited this new restaurant this evening. It's probably not the least bit fair to write any kind of review on their first day, especially since we were only their second visitors, however this chef has been around for awhile and they did have a soft opening. So, what the heck. You can go and judge for yourself later.

Our reservations were for 6:30 and we arrived exactly on time. We were the second couple in and were able to choose our own seats.

We arrived by foot from the Renaissance. There were plenty of vacant metered spaces along the street. The location is next door to El Gaucho, probably not the most desirable place to walk.

They have an extensive wine list. You could choose by the glass or bottle. Their dinner menu is viewable on line. They also have a cocktail list that is given to you on a mini clip board.
    Dessert menu is also separate.Whilemina-image.jpg

A chef mini appetizer was served to us complimentary. It was 2 mini lamb balls and 2 shot glasses full of pea soup whipped. They were tasty little things. Bread came next, one mini
    chibata and one herb bread. Both nice.

We ordered one Wilhelmina salad and shared it. I will post a description of items taken from menu. We both had duck served with basmati rice. For dessert we had key lime pie.

Our main meal arrived in front of us at 7:55. This we couldn't understand, especially being the second in. The restaurant filled up slowly and was full when we left. It looks like 50 is the max .

While I don't want to be to critical we just weren't wowed. On a scale of 1-10 we both rate it a 6.
    The service was good, our waiter named Alexander was attentive. The manager Tamara was cordial at the door but that's all we saw of her. I did tell her in advance I was taking pictures to write a review and she was fine with that. The chef stopped by 2 tables to our right and 2 to our left. He did not stop by ours. Perhaps I would have felt a little different if we had a hello.
    No wow factor for us.
    Just isn't us.

While I will say everyone should make their own decisions to go or not. Plenty of talent in those 4 walls.
    Please don't use my comments to sway you. We truly wanted to love it��

Whilemina-image.jpgWhilemina-image.jpg

What at the heck ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whilemina-image.jpg   Whilemina-image.jpg  
    Last edited by cindyo; 10-03-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Okay
    so I woke up this morning and re-read my post
    This is a new place just opening
    Everyone should give it a try
    Its just not us
    Don't base your decision on wether we loved it or not
    I don't want to be harsh, or hurt any new business
    This guys a pro, he knows what he's doing

me being honest....
    Last edited by cindyo; 10-03-2015 at 07:50 AM.

My two cents......

Each and every one of the staff was very professional and cordial. They were seasoned professionals and not on their first gig. When you open a restaurant with fifty seats and on the very first day you go from 2 customers at 6:30 to a full house by 7:30, you're going to have some challenges. My suspicion, based on the talent they have in place, is that they'll be just fine. They have a good, sound base....people who seem to care and people with talent.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Cindy, I really appreciated your review. I agree it's difficult to critique a restaurant on the first night. With a soft opening they are still working out the kinks. One thing I noticed from your photos was their style of seating. I really don't enjoy those long benches against the wall. Your dinner certainly took a long while to come out but I do recall when we were at Carte Blanche it was a really slow pace. I thought the menu looked good but Tom wasn't intrigued. Think we'll hold off on this one

Aruba since 1979
    appreciate your review.

85 minutes for your entree' to arrive imo is very unacceptable especially since it was pretty slow in there early on.
    however, since it was their soft opening, some slack has to be given.

if you like the menu, i'd recommend reading what the others have to say as this place finds its way.
    maybe by next year, you might try it again.

there is so much restaurant competition on such a small island.....only the best will survive

paul and i, like peggy's tom, are not intrigued by the menu.

Risotto sounds good, but nothing making me jump. Really hope things get much better as they get into the swing. Fifty seats is not much to handle, I'm sure they will get better!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast