Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Wilhelmina's - January 2016

Wilhelmina's - January 2016

The Return...

Our second visit to "Wilhelmina's" - we'd been when they opened in October 2015 and had an amazing meal and service experience. I was wondering if they'd be able to maintain once the novelty wore off.

Luckily, everything is still firing on all cylinders.

We brought friends from Toronto who were in Aruba for the first time. We've been having a low-key vacation so far so this was the Big Night Out.

We arrived at 7:30 (after a bit of a debacle getting a taxi) and the place was half empty; I was worried they hadn't been able to generate enough buzz to sustain but, by 8:00, the place was packed - including the bar (which you can eat at) and the little sofa and chairs in the corner. I'd say they're doing well!

What we had...

I had a wicked cocktail called "The King's Mule" that involved Tito's vodka and a bunch of other ingredient's served in a nifty mug. It had sort of a rosemary taste with fruit. I know: it sounds gross but it was REALLY good. Everybody else stuck to wine-by-the-glass and watched me chug down my cocktail like a king...

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-tito.jpg

They started off with an amuse bouche of deep-fried risotto balls and shooters of mustard soup. I nearly blacked out - the mustard soup, in particular, was amazing.

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-mustardsoup.jpgWilhelmina's - January 2016-risottoballs.jpg

Me
    Appetizer: Raw oysters. In October, they served the oysters three ways: raw, Rockefeller and ceviche-like in red wine vinegar served as shooters. You now choose which one you like and the half dozen are served that way. I hope they bring back the three-way platter as I really enjoyed it. But the raw oysters were wonderful: plump, juicy, served with red wine vinegar, tomato compote and lemon wedges. Great start.
    Main: I went for the shrimp wrapped in pancetta with scallops and gnocchi. In October it was called "Langoustine with scallops" but they don't mention the langoustine anymore -- PEG... I think it's because they were having trouble stocking them. But they had the Langoustine tonight and it was all wonderful.

The Spouse
    Appetizer: Wilhelmina’s Ravioli
    Main: Boneless Ribeye
    The EXACT same meal as October! "Why mess with perfection?!?" Good point.

Friend #1
    Appetizer: Lobster Bisque.... they put a bowl on the table, placed a huge chunk of lobster in it... "Uh...." and then poured the bisque over it. He was blown away. Savoury and delicious.
    Main: Bronzini (European sea bass). Plate was licked clean. We'll take that as a, "YES!!"

Friend #2
    This one was a little trickier as she hasn't been feeling well due to complications from fibromyalgia but, over just a few days in Aruba, she's been feeling better and better so this meal was going to either be her Waterloo or the triumphant return to the land of the appetite.
    No appetizer... still re-building and didn't want to jeopardize the main
    Main: Bronzini - she finished the entire thing so that says a lot about the food!

We threw caution to the wind and ordered dessert: Friend #1 had the lemon pie and did a complete face plant on it. I went all out and ordered the crepe Suzette that they flambéed right at the table. It was incredible.

I'm happy to report that they're still on their game and the food is still top notch. We're back in February with another pair of friends...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wilhelmina's - January 2016-tito.jpg   Wilhelmina's - January 2016-risottoballs.jpg  

Other Pics

Oysters

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-oysters.jpg

Shrimp Pancetta

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-shrimp.jpg

Ravioli

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-ravioli.jpg

Crepes

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-crepes.jpg

Flambe!

Wilhelmina's - January 2016-flambe.jpg

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    They didn't have any of this when we were there.....looks good

So jealous you were able to have the langoustine! When we were there I also had the Kings Mule (Moscow Mule) served in a proper copper mug. It has ginger in it and was both potent and delicious. Thank you for sharing all the food photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    So jealous you were able to have the langoustine! When we were there I also had the Kings Mule (Moscow Mule) served in a proper copper mug. It has ginger in it and was both potent and delicious. Thank you for sharing all the food photos!
    THAT'S what the taste was!! I kept thinking "rosemary... strange but good...". Ginger!!

Aruba since 1979
    The photos look amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    The photos look amazing
    If you lick the screen, you'll be able to taste the ribeye. It's THAT good!!

Aruba since 1979
    i did that.
    it tastes like a Macintosh apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    If you lick the screen, you'll be able to taste the ribeye. It's THAT good!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea j. View Post
    i did that.
    It tastes like a macintosh apple.
    lollllllllllllll

I just looked at their website. Please tell me those prices are in AFl. and not USD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast