Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016

Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016

We went to Yemanja a few trips ago but we were in the middle of a real estate sign back so it was all a little blurry. We decided to give it another try.

Wow. Am I ever glad we did.

We opted to sit inside as there was a pretty boisterous table on the patio and we'd called at the last minute so the only table available was right beside the loud one and at the front entrance. In we went!

Nice atmosphere inside (even though there was a guy just over from us espousing his political views on the US presidential race very LOUDLY) and the place was packed shortly after we sat down. I don't know how the kitchen staff does it: the heat coming off the grill in the centre of the restaurant is incredibly hot - like cooking on the surface of the sun.

On with the show...

We took a taxi down (more on that in the trip report) because the one thing I did remember from the last visit was a little concoction called, "The Retox" and I knew there'd be a few in my future:

Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-retox.jpg

It's made with Patron Silver, a bunch of juices and a dusting of cayenne pepper. Delicious with a kick!

The Spouse had a Tito's martini. I won't post a picture as, well, martinis are boring. Until you've had four.

The Appetizers

Our neighbour said, "Get the tuna tartar.. trust me." So, I did. Wow! It blew my head off - it literally opened my sinuses! Wasabi creme?!? Are you kidding me? I could have eaten four of these for the entire meal!

Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-tunatartare.jpg

The Spouse had the "it-takes-ten-minutes-to-make" (which is okay when you're sitting with your best friend, Retox) French onion soup..."This is a holy experience... I'm seeing the gates! I'm seeing the gates!!"

Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-frenchonion.jpg

The Mains

I opted for the seafood medley - the true test of which was the calamari: if it was rubbery, this review would go south. It was tender and soft - the medley was wonderful and even better paired with a glass of Honig Sauvignon Blanc...okay, two glasses.

Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-seafoodmedley.jpg

And The Spouse went for, what else?, the ribeye "Ugh! I'm full but can't stop eating this steak!" + two glasses of Bouchard Pere y Fils Pinot Noir:

Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-yemanjaribeye.jpg

I opted for dessert and had a scoop of chocolate chip gelato served on a base of almond crunch. Oink!

A great meal, reasonably priced and all plates were licked clean. Glad we came back!

Now, if they could just get a private car service and cones of silence, that would make it perfect!
    Last edited by act1966; 01-14-2016 at 08:53 AM.

I don't understand why more people do not rave about this hidden gem the way you did. We have never been disappointed by the food or the service and usually go twice a trip because we love it so. So very happy you tried it again!

Aruba since 1979
    agree. it seems that those that go there, love it.
    it is probably the downtown location.
    if folks never leave the "beach/resort areas" they will never know the deliciousness of yemanja.

Quote Originally Posted by dah13 View Post
    I don't understand why more people do not rave about this hidden gem the way you did. We have never been disappointed by the food or the service and usually go twice a trip because we love it so. So very happy you tried it again!

shhh.... don't spread the word too much or we won't be able to get a reservation

We love this place and it is always on our list every year!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Your review has just put it back up at the top of our to try list!

That French Onion soup looks amazing!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    That French Onion soup looks amazing!
    Even upside down! I forgot to rotate the picture four times and save before uploading!

You definitely need to try it Peg!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Your review has just put it back up at the top of our to try list!

My favorite app is a goat cheese salad. I can never get enough goat cheese!
    Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-11012136_924028830952018_199414308516198343_n-1-.jpg
    This is their Grouper Italiano. You better love cheese (I do) if you choose this one. Also, note the four little bowls in the background. Every table gets bowls of sides to share. There is white rice, mashed potatoes, black beans and grilled veggies. Not trying to hijack your post ACT1966. I just can't say enough about this place. Of course it helps that we stay at the Renaissance Ocean Suites so it's just a walk across the road.
    Yemanja Woodfire Grill - January 2016-11165097_924028814285353_3933570459409222496_n-1-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dah13 View Post
    My favorite app is a goat cheese salad. I can never get enough goat cheese!

This is their Grouper Italiano. You better love cheese (I do) if you choose this one. Also, note the four little bowls in the background. Every table gets bowls of sides to share. There is white rice, mashed potatoes, black beans and grilled veggies. Not trying to hijack your post ACT1966. I just can't say enough about this place. Of course it helps that we stay at the Renaissance Ocean Suites so it's just a walk across the road.
    No worries! I forgot about the sides... We were too stuffed to eat them! I'll be trying that goat cheese next time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast