Aruba Beach
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By CK1
  • 3 Post By act1966

Thread: Aruba Weddings - Recognized in the USA?

Aruba Weddings - Recognized in the USA?

I'm hearing conflicting information so I thought I'd ask.

My grand niece is getting married in Aruba next week and she is under the impression her Aruba wedding will not be recognized in the USA, necessitating another ceremony back home.

I'm also told the only way an Aruba wedding can be binding is if it's done at the "Town Hall" following the completion of tons of paperwork.

I'm also told that any wedding performed on the beach is not valid at all.

Please help. What's the real story here?

Aruba since 1979
    the beach ceremonies (to my knowledge) are strictly ceremonial and not official/not recognized.

my understanding too is that the wedding is valid if it is performed either in
    1) town hall with fees paid and all paperwork completed
    2) church.......but still needing gvmnt seal and all paperwork

let me see what more i can find out

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

My grand niece is getting married in Aruba next week and she is under the impression her Aruba wedding will not be recognized in the USA, necessitating another ceremony back home.

I'm also told the only way an Aruba wedding can be binding is if it's done at the "Town Hall" following the completion of tons of paperwork.

Aruba since 1979
    from www.aruba.com

[COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 71.100000%, 66.500000%)]A Special Wedding...[/COLOR]
    What better place to celebrate the wedding of your dreams?
    Fall in love in our magical wonderland of surreal landscapes,magnificent sunsets and starry nights. How about aromantic sunset sailing trip or dinner for two under theAruban moonlight? Enjoy some of our Aruban & Latinrhythms at the many nightclubs and cafes or allow yourselfto indulge in one of our exclusive Spa’s... These are justsome romantic memories that you can share as a couple onour beautiful island...
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 71.100000%, 66.500000%)]Wedding Planning[/COLOR]
    Save the date, choose Aruba as your wedding destinationand do not forget to send the wedding information to:http://registry.aruba.com.
    Religious Ceremonies
    With the adequate planning and submission of requireddocumentation, religious ceremonies can also be performedon the island.

• Catholics:

1. A written consent must be presented stating thatboth the bride and groom have attended pre-maritalcounseling and have permission from their pastor tomarry in Aruba.
    2. An official statement by the pastor is required inwhich he declares that neither party has previouslybeen married in a Church.
    3. A copy of the Marriage Certificate that shows that thecouple has been married by a civil authority in theircountry of origin.
    4. Certificates of baptism and confirmation from bothbride and groom, as well as copies of both passportsor other valid identification documents.
    5. The wedding ceremony must take place in a CatholicChurch.
    6. Bride and groom must submit all these documents 4months prior to the chosen wedding day.

• Protestants, Episcopalians, Methodists:

1. The wedding can take place in any local Protestant,Episcopalian or Methodist Church, or at any otherlocation of your preference.
    2. Provide a copy of the Marriage Certificate from yourcountry of origin.
    3. You are required to dress appropriately for all“Religious Blessings” for example the bride can notmarry wearing bathing suit or shorts, shorts areacceptable for the groom.

• Jewish:

1. Both parties must be Jewish and must submit acertificate issued by the Jewish Rabbi from theirplace of origin.
    2. The Aruba Jewish Cantor accepts Jewish statuscertificates from valid Orthodox authorities,Conservative, Reform, Liberal and Reconstructionist.
    3. You need to make a formal request to the JewishCommunity of Aruba.
    4. The ceremony can take place both within theSynagogue, as in any other place of your choice. TheSynagogue of Aruba is in a separate conservative-reformist style congregation.

[IMG]file:///page1image27616[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image27776[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image27936[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image28096[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image28256[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image28416[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image28576[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image28736[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image28896[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image29056[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image29216[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image29376[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image29536[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page1image29696[/IMG]
    [COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]Aruba Wedding Requirements 1[/COLOR]

[IMG]file:///page1image31280[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///page2image664[/IMG] [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 71.100000%, 66.500000%)]The Perfect Wedding...[/COLOR]
    Our main objective is to provide modern brides and grooms,with all the resources they need to create their dreamwedding with beautiful memories to last a lifetime. ATA
    is proud to announce AWA- Aruba Weddings Association“Your Wedding Authority.” Check out the website auawed.com. This association has Aruba’s prized professionals inthe field with years of experience and working hand in handwith AHATA.

Make it legal...
    Choosing to hold your civil wedding in Aruba, can add thewow-factor and be even more impacting for your guests.
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 71.100000%, 66.500000%)]The Civil Wedding...[/COLOR]
    It is now also possible to hold your civil weddings in Aruba.This would be held in the Historical City Hall. Couples whowish, may also receive a religious blessing after a civilmarriage or simply organize a romantic celebration on thebeach.

A wedding planner has the knowledge and all necessarycontacts to make this a quick and easy process, which isthe setting we would recommend. The ease and peaceof mind of knowing that a professional is handling all thepaperwork for a minimum additional cost, is worth it.
    Select an independent wedding planner or a weddingplanner associated with a hotel. A wedding planner willhandle everything related to your special day, so you can betotally relaxed and carefree. Our wedding professionals workwith reliable suppliers and are responsible for all aspects
    of the ceremony and reception meeting all your needs andfulfill your expectations.

1. Copies of photo ID of the passport picture page ofBride and Groom. Bride and Groom must both be 18years of age or older.
    2. Copies of photo ID of the passport picture page oftwo (2) Witnesses, minimum 18 years of age. If thebride and groom are traveling alone, witnesses canbe provided locally by a wedding planner
    3. The Aruba Declaration of Marriage Intent Form ofBride and Groom (application form provided by yourwedding planner).
    4. The Aruba Declaration Single Status Form of Brideand Groom (application form provided by yourwedding planner)
    5. Bathing suits, shorts, cut-offs and slippers are notallowed at the civil ceremony.

[IMG]file:///page2image23288[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image23448[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image23608[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image23768[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image23928[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image24088[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image24248[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image24408[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image24568[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image24728[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image24888[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image25048[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image25208[/IMG] [IMG]file:///page2image25368[/IMG] 1.2.

All civil ceremonies are held at the City Hall (“Civil TownHouse”)
    The required documentation includes:

1. Long Form Birth Certificate, with parents names, ofBride and Groom. These birth-certificates must havea raised seal. When the raised seal is secured, thedocuments need to be submitted to the Secretary ofState Office for an Apostille (a separate documentauthenticating the certificate and the employee whosigned the certificate).
    2. Certificate of No Impediment for Bride and Groom(also known as “single status report” or “negativestatement for marriage”). This certificate is obtainedat the Bureau of Vital Statistics or (for England atthe department of Commonwealth) that states thatBride and Groom are single and eligible to marry.For Canada the couple that have never been marriedbefore can get a sworn statement from a PublicNotary or Lawyer.
    3. If married before, a Final Divorce-Degree with anApostille; or Death Certificate with an Apostille isrequired.

1. All
      then sent by mail or courier (e.g. FedEx) at least one (1)month before the desired date for the wedding. Pleasecontact your wedding planner or wedding coordinator.
    2. The Civil ceremony can take place on Monday, Tuesday,Thursday and Friday from 10.00am till 11.30am andfrom 2.00pm till 3.30pm, Wednesdays from 10.00amtill 11.30am. from 11.00am till 1.00p, on Saturdays isalso available (this may incur an additional cost).

documents must be faxed (emailed)for review and

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]Aruba Wedding Requirements 2[/COLOR]

[IMG]file:///page2image41728[/IMG]

Aruba since 1979
    Andy.....http://www.aruba.com/aruba-vacations...ngs-honeymoons 4th paragraph download the wedding requirements.

what i posted in prior post is easier reading if you go to the link and down load it

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean

Hi Andy,

Your niece is correct, a wedding ceremony on the beach in Aruba will NOT be recognized in the USA.

It requires documentation from the bride and groom like birth certificates, passports, certificates that both are not already married to someone else or, in case of a divorce, that the divorce was legally finalized etc. Then, it takes TIME for the authorities to verify those certificates.

But no reason to panic. Your niece can have her beautiful wedding ceremony in Aruba on the beach. And, when back home, get legally married in her home town City Hall. Marriage Licenses vary from State to State, it's best to inquire what the State where she will get legally married requires.

Thank you for al your responses. Reading what Andrea posted, the couple has to be already married in the U.S. before the Aruba ceremony. Seems anti-climactic.

Our grand nice is already married. Her grandfather was too ill to travel so she had a ceremony at hospice for him last week. We were at a gathering yesterday and there seemed to be so many differing opinions, I thought I'd check with the experts.

Aruba since 1979
    sad that her grandfather's life is nearing its end and he cannot be there for the other ceremony.

many many many tourist couples DO get married in aruba...the civil ceremony first and then the beach blessing ceremony

Thank you for al your responses. Reading what Andrea posted, the couple has to be already married in the U.S. before the Aruba ceremony. Seems anti-climactic.

Our grand nice is already married. Her grandfather was too ill to travel so she had a ceremony at hospice for him last week. We were at a gathering yesterday and there seemed to be so many differing opinions, I thought I'd check with the experts.

Yes the marriage is legal and recognized by the US when married at town hall. Friends from the US have been married on Aruba this way - civil ceremony in the morning with couple & witnesses only, beach service in the afternoon with everyone.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I wonder how many couples have had beach ceremonies and thought they're legally married?

Living in sin!!! Cast them out!!!

Aruba since 1979
    hahahaha
    i do often wonder.

however, if the wedding planner knows his/her business, he/she will make certain that the dride and groom are well aware.

often many times, the wedding planner will insist to see paperwork that the couple are already married before the beach ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I wonder how many couples have had beach ceremonies and thought they're legally married?

Living in sin!!! Cast them out!!!