Aruba Beach

Thread: August 2012 Wedding at St. Filomena! Thoughts on when to book? Reception venue?

Cool August 2012 Wedding at St. Filomena! Thoughts on when to book? Reception venue?

Hi everyone,
    I just joined a couple of weeks ago, but have been reading these threads for over a month as I debated between Aruba and Jamaica for our destination wedding. I finally settled on Aruba (being able to safely walk around off-resort was the determining factor) and have booked our wedding for August 13 at St. Filomena. Jason Margarita has been a LIFESAVER for this laidback-to-a-fault bride who probably should've made these arrangements months ago! I wasn't sure where to file this thread, so please feel free to tack it elsewhere if it is inappropriately here. Having booked the church, we plan to be in Aruba from August 11-18 and I had two major questions on which I would love and appreciate input:

1) I am debating between Occidental and Riu. I know that an AI is not the preference for many travelers to Aruba, but it is our first time to the island, we will not allow it to sequester us on the resort for all meals, and we have a larger group traveling (including small children) so it will probably be easier for some meals. I would love feedback on why you think one is preferable over the other! Also, when is the best time to book? Airline prices are very reasonable right now from Indianapolis (~$500 RT), but what about resort prices?

2) Any ideas for reception venues? This will be more like a nice group dinner with some cake and perhaps some impromptu dancing. Whether we hire a band/DJ depends on the number of YES RSVPs I receive. Preferably a variety of food offered, classy but not formal, able to accomodate a lively bunch. Jason and I have discussed Pinchos, Passions, Pure Beach, and Marandi and I am debating between them, but any other spots you think might suit our reception?

Thanks so much for your help - I have already learned TONS from this forum.

Aruba since 1979
    hi welcome to the aruba.com community forum

if AI is what you want then either the RIU or Occidental are good.
    As is the DIVI AI or Tamarijn and the Divi and Tam may have better rates for the kids and adults. Divi and Tam are more laid back and less hectic than up in the hi rise area.

Reception spots.......Pinchos, Tulip could be added to your consider list.

What about a reception at a place where you will be staying?

grab that $500 fare from Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by alypham View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I just joined a couple of weeks ago, but have been reading these threads for over a month as I debated between Aruba and Jamaica for our destination wedding. I finally settled on Aruba (being able to safely walk around off-resort was the determining factor) and have booked our wedding for August 13 at St. Filomena. Jason Margarita has been a LIFESAVER for this laidback-to-a-fault bride who probably should've made these arrangements months ago! I wasn't sure where to file this thread, so please feel free to tack it elsewhere if it is inappropriately here. Having booked the church, we plan to be in Aruba from August 11-18 and I had two major questions on which I would love and appreciate input:

1) I am debating between Occidental and Riu. I know that an AI is not the preference for many travelers to Aruba, but it is our first time to the island, we will not allow it to sequester us on the resort for all meals, and we have a larger group traveling (including small children) so it will probably be easier for some meals. I would love feedback on why you think one is preferable over the other! Also, when is the best time to book? Airline prices are very reasonable right now from Indianapolis (~$500 RT), but what about resort prices?

2) Any ideas for reception venues? This will be more like a nice group dinner with some cake and perhaps some impromptu dancing. Whether we hire a band/DJ depends on the number of YES RSVPs I receive. Preferably a variety of food offered, classy but not formal, able to accomodate a lively bunch. Jason and I have discussed Pinchos, Passions, Pure Beach, and Marandi and I am debating between them, but any other spots you think might suit our reception?

Thanks so much for your help - I have already learned TONS from this forum.

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought about having a reception at our hotel, but since we will be eating some meals there already, I kind of wanted to go off-resort for our reception. I debated a long time between Palm Beach and Eagle Beach, but I think as a whole we will enjoy the hustle & bustle of Palm Beach. The majority of people in our group are in their late 20s/early 30s, so we still like to go out quite a bit. The children will be 3 and 1 so they won't be away from their parents much, if at all, while they are there...

Aruba since 1979
    there is a restaurant PAM PAM that has a good menu and a nice open air function room...
    http://www.pampamaruba.com/reservations/index.html

check out Pam Pam at P'erl d"or apartments.
    Quote Originally Posted by alypham View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I thought about having a reception at our hotel, but since we will be eating some meals there already, I kind of wanted to go off-resort for our reception. I debated a long time between Palm Beach and Eagle Beach, but I think as a whole we will enjoy the hustle & bustle of Palm Beach. The majority of people in our group are in their late 20s/early 30s, so we still like to go out quite a bit. The children will be 3 and 1 so they won't be away from their parents much, if at all, while they are there...
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-13-2012 at 10:15 PM.