Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: barefoot bridesmaids?

during my wedding in October at the Divi AI, myself and my bridesmaids bought super cute flip flops for the wedding!! I still love them! But we didn't wear them during the beach ceremony, the wedding coordinator had set up a blanket near where we entered the beach ceremony site, and wedding party as well as guests could choose to leave their shoes there, or wear them!! all of us girls left our flip flops there, were barefoot during the ceremony on the beach, and LOVED every second of it!!!! We did wear our flip flops to dinner/reception after! Oh, and the photographer took pictures of all of the shoes left on the blanket, and it is one of our favorite photos!

I just got married on 6/25/11 and my girls wore flip flops and so did I. We had no problems with the sand kicking up, but this was concern of mine. The best advice I can give to you is that its your wedding and if the flip flops don't work out you can take them off and then go barefoot. Don't stress about this!!!!!

We all wore flip flops as well and it worked perfectly (all you have to do is pick up your feet when you walk instead of shuffling) Two days before, though, I saw a wedding where the ladies had the foot jewelry and the guys went barefoot--that was very cool and beachy!

I am going to throw a little wrench in the discussion. I know this is personal, but, are you paying for their trip? If so, I feel a little differently about "this is your wedding." If your guests are paying for their airfare and lodging (which can be really significant in Aruba), then they are truly invested in this wedding--far more than they would be if it was a wedding close to home. I don't see that the difference between wearing flip flops or going barefoot is really that big of a deal. If mom thinks they should not go barefoot--I don't see that as being that big of a deal.

Now, if you are paying, ie. your footing their vacation, then unless mom has a legitimate security concern, she should defer to you and let you make your decision.

I'll write about my "perfect" Aruban wedding this weekend when I have more time, but the biggest compliment I received was from several family members who said that they were so happy I made it about the family--which I did--and in doing so at times I thought of them and not of me!

Just my thoughts!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree to a certain point. that's only one person who is insisting on shoes. one person does not make a wedding. i've been in a zillion weddings-- okay, alot. and i spent tons of money on the ugliest bridesmaid dresses, spent a fortune on bridal showers and basically did what the bride wanted. that's the whole point. now of course i had the option not to be in the wedding and there actually was one i chose not to. but it seems the only one complaining was the one future SIL. the point being, she shouldn't make the final decision. the wedding party has nothing to do with the guests coming, they are a separate entity and let's face it, when you say yes to being in a wedding, unless you live in a cave, you know its going to be the dress the bride picks out, the shoes (or not, lol) the bride picks out. I just had this discussion with my sd. she's in a wedding and hates the dress and its expensive. i said too bad, you agreed to be in the wedding.

so the point is, if the SIL has a problem for her children, she should either pull them out of the wedding or try to remember her wedding and say to herself, did all my bridesmaids LOVE the dress that she picked out? i'd be very surprised if they did. (it reminds me of the movie "27 dresses")

if the bride had to please everyone coming to her wedding, she'd go crazy. i had one person in my wedding and told her to see if she had anything in her closet and I could care less what color it was. I told her not to spend money on a dress unless she wanted a new dress. I gave her carte blanche to do whatever she wanted and whatever color she wanted (of course its easy to magnanimous when you only have one person in the wedding, lol).

Gaby,

I, too, have many a bridesmaid's dress that were meant to be worn again that would never see the light of day on my body.

I think this is different. I think beach weddings (at least in Aruba) are different. I come from a family with a long history of catholic wedding/beer bash receptions with 250+ people. They are tediously planned with a few tears and tantrums and replanning of flowers or card baskets or whatever along the way. Every one is different (colors, reception etc.) but they are also all alot alike.

What I experienced in Aruba was totally different. Cut away your co-workers, acquaintences, friends (for us we did) and extended family (though I love them) and you have the few people who are truly at the core of our lives--our family. They are the fourteen people in my life who were at my wedding. That makes them very special and I covet that. Take picture perfect green blue water, soft pristine beach sand (although it really isn't but it looks that way) and sunset that I know was specifically sent for us, mix it with the people who are your heart and soul (though you might occassionally fight like cats and dogs with them) and a totally unique and intimate wedding ceremony with Caribbean steel band music and things like flip flops or no flip flops fade in significance.

It is the bride's day and there are things that you fight for. I don't think I would fight for that one--I'd find cute flip flops, put them on their feet and smile away. IMO, the fewer the people, the more they matter.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    when i read the first post about the "future" SIL, i was thinking of her setting a precedent (did I spell that correctly?). and though some of you are too young to know this phrase but what went through my mind was "danger, will robinson".

Quote Originally Posted by barneynewf View Post
    during my wedding in October at the Divi AI, myself and my bridesmaids bought super cute flip flops for the wedding!! I still love them! But we didn't wear them during the beach ceremony, the wedding coordinator had set up a blanket near where we entered the beach ceremony site, and wedding party as well as guests could choose to leave their shoes there, or wear them!! all of us girls left our flip flops there, were barefoot during the ceremony on the beach, and LOVED every second of it!!!! We did wear our flip flops to dinner/reception after! Oh, and the photographer took pictures of all of the shoes left on the blanket, and it is one of our favorite photos!

how was the weather in october?! i hear it rains sometimes but i tought t hardly rained in aruba.. my wedding is october 15.. i hope it doesnt rain!!!

Aruba since 1979
    daisy.......we have seen 4 weddings so far on aruba in the last 8 days.
    everyone barefoot.

we "spied" on the weddings.
    we were NOT the uninvited people that sneaked into photos, wearing speedo thongs and being obtrusive ;-)

we stayed far away and watch from a respectful distance.

Quote Originally Posted by daisymay4 View Post
    how was the weather in october?! i hear it rains sometimes but i tought t hardly rained in aruba.. my wedding is october 15.. i hope it doesnt rain!!!
    Rain in Aruba falls mainly overnight and early morning. Even if it rains on the morning of your wedding, do not be alarmed, chances are very very good that the skies will clear and you will have a picture perfect day.

October weather
    Average high temperature 90 F.
    Average low temperature 79 F.
    Average temperature 83 F.
    Average humidity 79%
    Average water temperature 83 F.
    Average windspeed 13 mph
    Average maximum wind speed 28 mph
    Average rainfall 2.56 inches (16.1 inches annual)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12