Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Line - Bringing Vendors with you...

Well my curiosity is sufficiently satisfied. For now I'll just be happy that one of my best friends happens to be a brilliant photographer and isn't even asking us to pay for flight or room for her or her husband (they had already been planning on coming and had already done their booking before my worries even came up). She is truly a tourist coming to spend the weekend with us and will not receive a penny. Though we offered, she's refused and now we have some cash for a welcome party.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    DATE of the wedding??? Since we've all read so much about it inquiring minds want to know....

Ya, I guess I have been chatty lately haven't I? I'm down to 14 weeks left. Its October 31st, or as my fiance would say, "The Day of the Dead". He's joking of course but I still remind him he was the one that proposed and didn't want to postpone the wedding date until Mexico had it issues sorted out. The swine flu scare sent us to Aruba. We were supposed to visit Puerto Vallarta in April but canceled and instead visited Aruba in May.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    DATE of the wedding??? Since we've all read so much about it inquiring minds want to know....

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up

Christene. Did you get a correction from ATA on their own email as stated???

Both me and my friends have brought professional photo equipment to a from Aruba several times, and never had any issues with that.

It is interesting from an purely academic point of view, how customs would handle creative people like i.e.
    a professional photographer that goes to Aruba on vacation, but he shoots a lot of nice pictures, which he 6 months later sells in the states?
    Or a painter on holiday, who relaxes by doing some paintings of the lighthouse and sells them to people when he comes home to Jersey.
    Or a programmer that decided to program a great game for mobiles phones on his porch at the marriott, and when he get home he sells it.
    Or a business consultant who thinks out a great business plan for his clients while fly fishing at Malmok and go back and write a report and gets paid half a million.

Are all these guys breaking the law?

I know what I think .

Glad you got it solved by a guest in your party.

Enjoy Aruba and your wedding.

Carsten

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzerjoy View Post
    Christene. Did you get a correction from ATA on their own email as stated???

Both me and my friends have brought professional photo equipment to a from Aruba several times, and never had any issues with that.

It is interesting from an purely academic point of view, how customs would handle creative people like i.e.
    a professional photographer that goes to Aruba on vacation, but he shoots a lot of nice pictures, which he 6 months later sells in the states?
    Or a painter on holiday, who relaxes by doing some paintings of the lighthouse and sells them to people when he comes home to Jersey.
    Or a programmer that decided to program a great game for mobiles phones on his porch at the marriott, and when he get home he sells it.
    Or a business consultant who thinks out a great business plan for his clients while fly fishing at Malmok and go back and write a report and gets paid half a million.

Are all these guys breaking the law?

I know what I think .

Glad you got it solved by a guest in your party.

Enjoy Aruba and your wedding.

Carsten
    Hi Carsten,

I don't think there is an issue any more as Christene is having a friend shoot her wedding, which is everyone's right in any country.

Christene could also bring in a Professional Photographer that could register his or her equipment and pay the deposit as any professional in the industry would and should do. Typically, a Professional in any industry would make sure that they were not performing illegal services in a foreign country.

It is illegal for an Aruban to work in the USA without permission granted by the US Government. No different for a foreigner in Aruba. It is illegal for an Aruban to work in Aruba without paying taxes on their earnings, why should a foreigner be allowed to?

Julia
    Aruba Today

Yes, its definitely an interesting philosophical issue. That a person could be a tourist that happens to have a professional skill that might be applied while they are there. I became intrigued when I could not find clear documentation posted anywhere, especially when I received that email saying they'd seen foreign vendors arrested.

I'm not quite understanding the issue with customs. I guess I can understand them wanting to know about expensive equipment being brought into the country in the respect that they wouldn't want their import duties circumvented which is understandable. I would think they would be concerned about expensive items being left behind. I was briefly concerned about them having an issue with me bringing in my wedding favors and a few decorations but never gave a second thought to the $3000 laptop I'll be carrying. (After all, I am a professional, a web developer - that uses this laptop for business and might even want to sell my website development services to people in Aruba.)

When it comes down to it, it definitely makes sense to get as many services and products as you can locally. I got a really rude awakening when I wanted to UPS a few simple wedding favors to the hotel. Its definitely given me an appreciation for why things are so expensive down there and why its hard for me to find the latest / greatest modern decorations I want. Seeing that reality helped me to loosen up a little.
    Last edited by christene; 07-24-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    I completely agree that the issue is over for Christene's wedding, but since this forum is mainly used by people who will search issues (including this) for years to come, it is important to get the facts straight.

The first fact was that the ATA (in writing) said "no problem".

It is then said that it was "misinformation" and that it had been "corrected".

I think it is mostly appropriate, for future reference, to get the facts straight:

Did the ATA get back to Christene and corrected it and said it was a misinformation or not?

(PS. In my personal opinion you should definately support local vendors as much as possible as long as they can provide the service you want to a price that is not redicilous. And I personally find it crazy that people fill their suitcases with food and drinks that can be bought locally, even though it is a bit higher. Why bother on a i.e. $5-10.000 family vacation, to save $90 by filling your suitcase, but hey that is just me, but if I need a car part that is US800 in Aruba and US200 elsewhere and it is the size of a pocket camera it might be different ).

Carsten

Quote Originally Posted by christene View Post
    Yes, its definitely an interesting philosophical issue. That a person could be a tourist that happens to have a professional skill that might be applied while they are there. I became intrigued when I could not find clear documentation posted anywhere, especially when I received that email saying they'd seen foreign vendors arrested.

snipped.
    Hi Christene,

There is a big difference between being pre-contracted to work in a foreign country and stumbling onto something while on vacation.

I don't know who emailed you that, but foreigners are not arrested, rather detained and deported all of the time for working illegally... Just like in the USA.

Bottom line is, you are destined to have a dream-come-true wedding in Aruba. And those of us here on this message board who are willing, can assist you in making sure that happens.

Sunny Regards, Julia

I completely agree that the issue is over for Christene's wedding, but since this forum is mainly used by people who will search issues (including this) for years to come, it is important to get the facts straight.

The first fact was that the ATA (in writing) said "no problem".

It is then said that it was "misinformation" and that it had been "corrected".

I think it is mostly appropriate, for future reference, to get the facts straight:

Did the ATA get back to Christene and corrected it and said it was a misinformation or not?

(PS. In my personal opinion you should definately support local vendors as much as possible as long as they can provide the service you want to a price that is not redicilous. And I personally find it crazy that people fill their suitcases with food and drinks that can be bought locally, even though it is a bit higher. Why bother on a i.e. $5-10.000 family vacation, to save $90 by filling your suitcase, but hey that is just me, but if I need a car part that is US800 in Aruba and US200 elsewhere and it is the size of a pocket camera it might be different ).

Carsten
    I checked with the Director of ATA and she said that it would be corrected.

I checked with the Marriott and it is now in the contract that they do not allow foreign photographers to work on their property without the proper permission from the government. Christene's case is different because it is a friend who will be shooting it and there will be no financial transactions made.

Aruba is about fun, love, forever friendships... We all work together to make sure that everyone's stay on Aruba is wonderful.

P.S. I just ordered a switch for my car blinker from the US as it is not available here, it will arrive Fed EX and I'll have to pay Duties when it arrives.

Julia
    Aruba Today
    Last edited by photosbyjulia; 07-24-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Your right - packing a bunch of junk is definitely not worth the hassle! And you're probably not saving anything with what airlines charge you these days. All I'm really worried about bringing is some personalized favors that I want to see in advance. I'm planning on making good use of the Aloe Factory, grocery store and PriceSmart when we get there for plenty of other stuff.

No - I haven't emailed the ATA again for more clarification but will be glad to do so. I thought I was pretty clear in the original email but will restate it in case they misunderstood. On the one hand, I can see them not wanting to make it obvious if it IS ok to bring a vendor (I don't blame them for not wanting to encourage that). However I would think they would make it pretty easy to find out if it is NOT ok to bring a vendor. As mentioned earlier, I would expect that bringing your nanny with you shouldn't be a big deal, so is a photographer treated different and where is the line? Is it just a matter of as registering equipment with customs?

And how about a minister that doesn't have equipment? Would someone be allowed to bring their minister from their church? They would likely get 'paid' at least airfare and lodging. If I wanted to get married in Aruba but really wanted my pastor to officiate (though I know he can't officiate a 'legal' wedding), would the Aruban government make it so difficult for us we would take our party elsewhere? Will customs give him a hard time if he answers honestly and says he's there for work? I suspect the ATA keeps in mind that any group coming to Aruba will be leaving at least $10,000 behind - in the case of our group it could be at least triple that.

Last edited by christene; 07-24-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast